IT.COM

Which Dan lander setup is bringing you the most sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which Dan lander setup is bringing you the most sales?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Buy Now

votes
    25.7%
  • Buy Now + Make Offer

votes
    14.3%
  • Buy Now + Lease To Own

votes
    17.1%
  • Buy Now + Make Offer + Lease To Own

votes
    17.1%
  • Make Offer

votes
    8.6%
  • It doesn't matter! Please share your opinion...

votes
    17.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

justsand

Established Member
Impact
Hello all,

I am curious to know which Dan lander setup is bringing you the most sales?

Initially, Dan suggested BIN + LTO. Now with Dan 2.0, it added the 'Make Offer' option with BIN + LTO. Also, mentioned that "Set your Make an offer option, this is off by default as enabling this could influence your conversion rates".

Personally, I am using BIN+LTO for all my domains and not interested to add "Make Offer" with BIN or BIN+LTO, because of this sentence and it can decrease the conversion rate (personal opinion) as most buyers will choose it as they can buy the domain for less.

So, please share which of the mentioned setup is bringing you sales and if you want to share any experience or opinion, the reply section is yours :)

Thank you very much!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
We had this functionality in 2014-2016 and it didn't increase sales at all but made sure sellers would get:

1: More spam
2: Less transactional conversion

We designed our purchase options with conversion in mind so you do not have to.
Bad answer, every market, every portfolio is different...

•••
We had this functionality in 2014-2016 and it didn't increase sales at all but made sure sellers would get:

1: More spam
2: Less transactional conversion

We designed our purchase options with conversion in mind so you do not have to.
You allow the buyer to make an offer... and you will soon allow the buyer to request a price. So why not allow the buyer to contact the seller without having to make an offer or request a price? What's the difference? Let the seller decide whether or not they want to receive this "spam" with a simple Yes or No in the seller's back end. Some of us very much WANT this option since it often times leads to a sale that would otherwise never be made.

•••
You allow the buyer to make an offer... and you will soon allow the buyer to request a price. So why not allow the buyer to contact the seller without having to make an offer or request a price? What's the difference? Let the seller decide whether or not they want to receive this "spam" with a simple Yes or No in the seller's back end. Some of us very much WANT this option since it often times leads to a sale that would otherwise never be made.
The difference is that some people will take the deal off-platform to save on commission if that is enabled.

•••
The difference is that some people will take the deal off-platform to save on commission if that is enabled.
Those that wish to cheat the system and take things off-platform can just as easily do that via "Make an Offer" or with the upcoming "Request a Price" feature. I don't see the difference between allowing a buyer to contact the seller via a "request a Price" chat or via a "Contact the Seller" chat. If Dan is okay with a buyer contacting the seller to request a price, they should be okay with allowing a buyer to contact the seller to ask a question. Same damn thing, only better since it allows the seller to display the price AND open up a dialogue with the buyer -- which sometimes results in more sales. If a seller doesn't want to offer the "Contact the Seller" option they can just turn it off.

•••
Those that wish to cheat the system and take things off-platform can just as easily do that via "Make an Offer" or with the upcoming "Request a Price" feature. I don't see the difference between allowing a buyer to contact the seller via a "request a Price" chat or via a "Contact the Seller" chat. If Dan is okay with a buyer contacting the seller to request a price, they should be okay with allowing a buyer to contact the seller to ask a question. Same damn thing, only better since it allows the seller to display the price AND open up a dialogue with the buyer -- which sometimes results in more sales. If a seller doesn't want to offer the "Contact the Seller" option they can just turn it off.
If you don’t like it there are other options. I don’t need or want the incessant spam and trolls you get on a regular contact form. And frankly anyone hell bent on contacting you can do so with your whois email. Its not that complicated.

•••
I don’t need or want the incessant spam and trolls you get on a regular contact form.
As long as there's a simple on/off toggle it shouldn't be an issue for you. Some of us want this option and also want to stay with Dan.

•••
I doubt the price request will be via chat. I think it will be more like Afternic's ns3 and ns4 contact form.

Also, you don't have the buyer's info via the make offer option. You only get that info after they fail to pay.

But, if a buyer really wants to talk, they can easily use whois to contact you. Recently experienced this with a name that had a BIN with make offer option that was higher than what they offered via mail. I had to decline because my min offer was set for a reason

Last edited:
•••
I doubt the price request will be via chat. I think it will be more like Afternic's ns3 and ns4 contact form.

Also, you don't have the buyer's info via the make offer option. You only get that info after they fail to pay.

But, if a buyer really wants to talk, they can easily use whois to contact you. Recently experienced this with a name that had a BIN with make offer option that was higher than what they offered via mail. I had to decline because my min offer was set for a reason
Another option that wasn’t listed is request price, simply asking the buyer to provide their contact info to obtain a price for the domain. This is a model employed by GoDaddy / Afternic and it’s how I’m engaging my buyers right now.

A disadvantage is that the buyer has to wait for a price (I guarantee a response within 24 hours if not sooner).

The advantage is that it doesn’t scare the buyer away, especially on higher value domains, and enables me to start a dialogue with them (which if I do well can lead to a sale). It also gives you a chance to feel out potential buyers to figure out what they need.

I gather even more info by asking each buyer to indicate their budget for the acquisition. Many choose “ I prefer not to say” or “I don’t know” but it’s a way to separate serious clients from the “tire kickers” who think they can acquire a premium domain for under $1,000 (for example).

•••
Another option that wasn’t listed is request price, simply asking the buyer to provide their contact info to obtain a price for the domain. This is a model employed by GoDaddy / Afternic and it’s how I’m engaging my buyers right now.

A disadvantage is that the buyer has to wait for a price (I guarantee a response within 24 hours if not sooner).

The advantage is that it doesn’t scare the buyer away, especially on higher value domains, and enables me to start a dialogue with them (which if I do well can lead to a sale). It also gives you a chance to feel out potential buyers to figure out what they need.

I gather even more info by asking each buyer to indicate their budget for the acquisition. Many choose “ I prefer not to say” or “I don’t know” but it’s a way to separate serious clients from the “tire kickers” who think they can acquire a premium domain for under $1,000 (for example).
Nice tactics. Just remember good chunk of price request is other domainers with similar names who want to know your price, tire kickers and the like. I am more inclined to get a sale when they throw out the first figure not me.

I will not be using that feature unless I hear about it being absolutely outstanding for closing deals. Its really not all that different than make an offer. (On DAN)

Contact details, names can be fake and usually are.

Last edited:
•••
The problem with using Godaddy/Afternic request price landers is that you don't know who is making the inquiry. Could be another domainer, spammer, legit business, or tire kicker. GoDaddy/Afternic owns that lead and won't tell you who it is. That's why I don't use them. Currently, I am using DAN landers with BIN + LTO. I did two LTO deals this year (my first) and had DAN sales than the previous year. But I still sell most of my domains via GD/AF BIN Fast Transfers. I think I may try DAN's Open Domain Distribution Network next year. Although I'll pay higher commissions, I hope to increase sales volume.

•••
I'm using my own request price form and not the Afternic / GoDaddy lander at my own website (Nametra.com). That way I don't pay them a commission and the lead belongs to me.

For a buyer who comes to me by direct type in, I don't need to pay Afternic a commission to do what I can do. From my experience, their sales team hasn't been vey effective in selling my domains. I get a good amount of Afternic price requests, but few conversions. When I ask their reps for an update, they usually give me the same response ("the buyer hasn't responded"). And I think my pricing has been reasonable (I've even asked their sales reps to validate that my prices are reasonable and they do).

However, what Afternic / GoDaddy can bring to the table is additional leads / traffic through their affiliated partners / network and so I am thinking about testing their landers to see how they do.

I also haven't been a big fan of BIN pricing, since most of my domains are priced in the mid $x,xxx range or higher, but the account reps at GoDaddy are insisting I should use fixed prices to increase sales. Isn't it in their best interest to say that (and not necessarily mine)? For example, I just recently sold a very good two word dot com domain at Afternic that I set $10k BIN on and forgot about. After the sale, I realized I probably left some significant money on the table.

Right now I'm experimenting to see what works best. I may create a few different landers and see which one brings the best results.

•••
I don't think the different landers matter very much, and it's the quality of the domain + the interest level and wallet size of the buyer that really matters.

Conversely, I am currently doing some experiments on colors and how these may relate to offers and sales, the returns have been very intriguing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back