IT.COM

.de Where can I buy a .de domain name...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
... if I am not from Germany? Is that even possible?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
You don't have to be German.
Anybody can register a .de domain name. But the admin contact (not the registrant) must be in Germany.
This is to serve papers in case of legal claims etc.
Some registrars can provide a local admin-c, for a fee or for free.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Use eurodns.com, they offer .de and local admin services.

•••
•••
Do you speak (or can you read) German? There may be German registrars also that offer these type of reg services...

•••
•••
•••
•••
There's no extra charge for a .DE at GoDaddy. The way they get around the rules is by assigning a proxy admin, although you are still the registrant.

A word of caution, though: it can be a major hassle to get the nameservers changed or when it comes time to transfer it out. This never used to be a problem but starting around last year, I was getting errors everytime I tried to point the domain's nameservers anywhere else (to Sedo, etc.), and when I sold a .DE, there was extra paperwork required certifying the "release" of the name because I was not the admin listed in the WhoIS.

I think somehwere along the lines, DENIC either tightened the rules, or GoDaddy neglected to let people know about these issues. Also, if you run into the nameserver problem, you'll likely have to escalate it to a Level 2 technical support rep. For some reason, the .DE registry wasn't allowing these changes to happen automatically like with other extensions, and the Level I rep I initially talked to kept claiming that Sedo wasn't an "authorized" nameserver. Uh, they're a German company. :)

•••
•••
We offer .de domain names from $12 p/y
You would need a German presence either for registrant or admin contact.
Unfortunately i cant post links yet but you can go to our support page, click on knowledgebase and type in .de in the search field, scroll down and click on overview of TLD's and you would get a lot of info about every specific domain TLD and registration requirements.

•••
There's no extra charge for a .DE at GoDaddy. The way they get around the rules is by assigning a proxy admin, although you are still the registrant.

A word of caution, though: it can be a major hassle to get the nameservers changed or when it comes time to transfer it out. This never used to be a problem but starting around last year, I was getting errors everytime I tried to point the domain's nameservers anywhere else (to Sedo, etc.), and when I sold a .DE, there was extra paperwork required certifying the "release" of the name because I was not the admin listed in the WhoIS.

I think somehwere along the lines, DENIC either tightened the rules, or GoDaddy neglected to let people know about these issues. Also, if you run into the nameserver problem, you'll likely have to escalate it to a Level 2 technical support rep. For some reason, the .DE registry wasn't allowing these changes to happen automatically like with other extensions, and the Level I rep I initially talked to kept claiming that Sedo wasn't an "authorized" nameserver. Uh, they're a German company. :)

But it is possible to transfer one out if you sell it right?

Also, I cant seem to figure out how the use a proxy admin.
Do I need to contact Godaddy? or is there a simple way to do this? I would like to do it without having to call Godaddy.

•••
Does GoDaddy offers this? Dynadot?

Yes, Dynadot does support .DE domains! First year registration is currently $7.99. :)

•••
Yes, Dynadot does support .DE domains! First year registration is currently $7.99. :)

But Dynadot doesn't provide the admin-c thing. You have to be from Germany.

On the other hand, is it possible to reg a .de at GoDaddy without having to call them? Do they automatically assign their proxy admin-c if you don't have one?

•••
That's correct. Dynadot currently doesn't provide an admin contact in Germany, but hopefully that option is available in the future.

•••
Anywhere from your local hosting companies. It will cost you about 10$/year

•••
This never used to be a problem but starting around last year, I was getting errors everytime I tried to point the domain's name servers anywhere else.

•••
What is the actual problem ? Maybe your website was compromised ?
This never used to be a problem but starting around last year, I was getting errors everytime I tried to point the domain's name servers anywhere else.

•••

The Central Registry for .DE domains requires that all name servers resolve to DNS queries before they can be set to a .DE domain. I'm not sure if this is a new requirement, but your web host should be able to help make sure it is properly configured.

I hope that helps!

•••
•••
dont forget that a lot of the time you need to file paperwork to delete your .de domain before the experation date. They dont just expire like other domains, you have to "manualy" delete them. I do not know how it is at name.com godaddy dynadot ect, but at all German registers that is how it is. The paperwork can be sent via fax. Just keep that in mind.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back