IT.COM

When Testing New Landers Do You Point All Your Domains to them at Once?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Just wondering whether folks point all domains at once when testing new sales landers?

For example, lets say you have been pointing all your namservers to Afternic NS5/NS6 and maybe had 1 or 2 sales over 6 months, for example.

You've been hearing good things about DAN and want to try them out. Do you point all your domains nameservers to DAN at once and then give it another 6 months to see those results?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Jurgen, I have already read that thread and it doesn't quite answer my question, which was nore about the preferred method of testing versus which landers convert better.

Trying to get opinions on when people test do they (assuming 12 month test)

1. Point half domains to NS5/NS6 and half DAN for the full 12 months

OR

2. Point ALL domains to NS5/6 for 6 months, then point ALL domains to DAN for 6 months.

I am leaning towards the second method of testing, myself...

•••
Then again...
For BuyNow domains - use Sedo lander (10%).
For MakeOffer domains - DAN (9%) or Sedo (15%).
With Afternic - only listings are enough, no any sense to park on their lander.

Last edited:
•••
Then again...
For BuyNow domains - use Sedo lander (10%).
With Afternic - only listings are enough, no any sense to park on their lander.
Thanks for your input!

•••
Let me add...

I think I understand your point of why you feel it is not necessary to use the Afternic lander: 1. Most Afternic/GoDaddy sales probably come through their registrar partners 2. High commission

However, I am still of the opinion that 1. the GoDaddy name at the top of the Afternic Landers is very valuable
2. The phone number could lead an indecisive buyer to a broker who can then close the deal

•••
For example, lets say you have been pointing all your namservers to Afternic NS5/NS6 and maybe had 1 or 2 sales over 6 months, for example.

You've been hearing good things about DAN and want to try them out. Do you point all your domains nameservers to DAN at once and then give it another 6 months to see those results?
Hi

the short answer, is no!

if...you've been getting 1-2 sales every 6 months, then that's 2-4 sales per year.

now,
depending on the domain, the prices they sell for and how many names in your portfolio...
then that could provide consistent percentages, to your str - not to mention your bank account.

so, from that perspective, it's a no, despite what others are saying.
you might want to test those that haven't had any inquiries which have been sitting there for a few years, but to just move with the crowd "like a lemming" isn't my style.

additionally to that viewpoint,
everybody doesn't have the same names, nor are they priced the same,
so the successful sales rates will always differ across various marketplaces.

imo...

•••
Hi

the short answer, is no!

if...you've been getting 1-2 sales every 6 months, then that's 2-4 sales per year.

now,
depending on the domain, the prices they sell for and how many names in your portfolio...
then that could provide consistent percentages, to your str - not to mention your bank account.

so, from that perspective, it's a no, despite what others are saying.
you might want to test those that haven't had any inquiries which have been sitting there for a few years, but to just move with the crowd "like a lemming" isn't my style.

additionally to that viewpoint,
everybody doesn't have the same names, nor are they priced the same,
so the successful sales rates will always differ across various marketplaces.

imo...
Thanks for your input, biggie!

The 1-2 sales per year was just an example (not my situation)

•••
Can you show any example on Afternic NS5/6?
I will review...

•••
•••
As a 'small player' I am trying to optimize my chance for sales, but also considering other factors

1. I have about 5 names that earn consistent parking revenue (not much, but enough for me to keep them parked)

2. The others 120 names don't earn anything from parking so I struggle with where to point them. IMO, since these 120 names are not doing anything for me being parked, I would rather direct them to some type of Sales Lander.

The questions I keep asking: Does the added brand recognition of GoDaddy justify the extra commission of pointing my other domains to NS5/NS6?

Does the attractiveness of DAN and lower commission justify giving them a 6-12 month test.

What I HAVE decided (finally) is that for my 120 domains that are NOT generating any parking revenue, I prefer that they point to some type of For Sale Lander (Afternic 5/6, DAN, or Sedo)

ALL DOMAINS are always listed with Afternic due to the strength of their registrar distribution network.

•••
I see...
It works from Ukraine, because it is based on GoDaddy.com
So you may use it - if 20% loss is suitable for you.

Original Afternic landers and their website are not accessible for many years from some countries due to their idiotic firewall.

p.s. Sedo has almost the same brandpower (BBB company), but for 10%.

Last edited:
•••
I see...
It works from Ukraine, because it is based on GoDaddy.com
So you may use it - if 20% loss is suitable for you.

Original Afternic landers and their website are not accessible for many years from some countries due to their idiotic firewall.

p.s. Sedo has almost the same brandpower (BBB company), but for 10%.
Yes, thank you for testing it from Ukraine!

I know Sedo is probably #2 in brand recognition, but more because of their international brand recognition.

In the U.S. GoDaddy has done SuperBowl commercials, sponsors NASCAR drivers etc.

IF some unsure buyer calls the number on the Afternic(GoDaddy) landers and the broker convinces them to buy my domain, then certainly 20% is worth it :)

•••
For me they show British phone...

2021-11-07-224016_690x440_scrot.png

•••
•••
As a 'small player' I am trying to optimize my chance for sales, but also considering other factors

1. I have about 5 names that earn consistent parking revenue (not much, but enough for me to keep them parked)

2. The others 120 names don't earn anything from parking so I struggle with where to point them. IMO, since these 120 names are not doing anything for me being parked, I would rather direct them to some type of Sales Lander.

The questions I keep asking: Does the added brand recognition of GoDaddy justify the extra commission of pointing my other domains to NS5/NS6?

Does the attractiveness of DAN and lower commission justify giving them a 6-12 month test.

What I HAVE decided (finally) is that for my 120 domains that are NOT generating any parking revenue, I prefer that they point to some type of For Sale Lander (Afternic 5/6, DAN, or Sedo)

ALL DOMAINS are always listed with Afternic due to the strength of their registrar distribution network.

On the surface, it would appear ideal to use GoDaddy BIN landers because they prominently showcase the GoDaddy up top and they say nothing about the seller – it appears that GoDaddy is saying the domain on offer is worth the $XXXX or $XXXXX BIN price posted. Conversions should be awesome, right? No. The problem is the horrid UX experience that happens AFTER the buyer clicks on the Buy Now button. They see errors on the subsequent check out page and, unbelievably, GoDaddy merchandises OTHER DOMAIN NAMES to the buyer on that check out page, thus undermining your sale. Go through the Buy Now process yourself to see what I mean.

To truly test different landing pages offered by Dan and GoDaddy, you must RANDOMLY assign Dan or GoDaddy landers to your 120 domain names. The random assignment to Dan or GoDaddy helps eliminate biases that you yourself would introduce by assigning Dan or GoDaddy to your names. You can use a random function in Excel to make the random assignments AFTER you have BIN-priced all of your names. Then, sort and assign 60 to Dan and 60 to GoDaddy landers.

•••
I'm split testing godaddy vs dan vs domain.io
each list have around 8k domains.
Domain.io is setuped with dan only
Results in 2-3 weeks...

•••
Last edited:
•••
On the surface, it would appear ideal to use GoDaddy BIN landers because they prominently showcase the GoDaddy up top and they say nothing about the seller – it appears that GoDaddy is saying the domain on offer is worth the $XXXX or $XXXXX BIN price posted. Conversions should be awesome, right? No. The problem is the horrid UX experience that happens AFTER the buyer clicks on the Buy Now button. They see errors on the subsequent check out page and, unbelievably, GoDaddy merchandises OTHER DOMAIN NAMES to the buyer on that check out page, thus undermining your sale. Go through the Buy Now process yourself to see what I mean.

To truly test different landing pages offered by Dan and GoDaddy, you must RANDOMLY assign Dan or GoDaddy landers to your 120 domain names. The random assignment to Dan or GoDaddy helps eliminate biases that you yourself would introduce by assigning Dan or GoDaddy to your names. You can use a random function in Excel to make the random assignments AFTER you have BIN-priced all of your names. Then, sort and assign 60 to Dan and 60 to GoDaddy landers.
Very interesting to hear and I totally understand what you mean by biases.

I had no idea about this. I have only ever gone through the Registrar 'channel' at GD and have never had a problem buying a 'premium' name.

So, in your opinion, who had the best User Experience AFTER you click Buy Now through their lander?

•••
I'm split testing godaddy vs dan vs domain.io
each list have around 8k domains.
Domain.io is setuped with dan only
Results in 2-3 weeks...
Can't wait to hear the results!

•••
Used Dan and then had 1 inquiry, moved back to UNI landers and sold 2 domains and have 4 other inquiries in 2 weeks

•••
Used Dan and then had 1 inquiry, moved back to UNI landers and sold 2 domains and have 4 other inquiries in 2 weeks
Interesting....could always just be luck/timing too, which is one of the things I find difficult to judge

•••
UniMarket is owned by GoDaddy and syndicated via AfternicDLS...

•••
Registration for bidders is not required on DAN.
So keep this in mind and don't be surprised in case of MANY non-payers and fakes/trolls etc.

Last edited:
•••
Jurgen, I have already read that thread and it doesn't quite answer my question, which was nore about the preferred method of testing versus which landers convert better.

Trying to get opinions on when people test do they (assuming 12 month test)

1. Point half domains to NS5/NS6 and half DAN for the full 12 months

OR

2. Point ALL domains to NS5/6 for 6 months, then point ALL domains to DAN for 6 months.

I am leaning towards the second method of testing, myself...
Scenario 2 for me

•••
Back