Dynadot

poll When is the best time to SELL a tech related domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

When is the best time to SELL a tech domain?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • idea/innovation stage

• development/investment stage

• roll out

• full scale adoption by market

• other (please specify)

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Results are only viewable after voting.

domain invest3r

Pinyin domains for saleEstablished Member
Impact
Hi All,

Earlier today I was reading a thread here on NP and thought I would get your opinions on something- When the best time is to sell a tech domain. I ask in the context of the exponential growth and development on technology these days. I suppose this question could also be applied to 'trends' in general although it is really specific to tech.

The reasoning for the question being that there must be a best time to sell tech (VR/drone/immersion etc.) domains, upon appropriate study of previous market trends with similar tech innovations (plasma tv, contactless etc.). For timescales, if we assume each stage takes the average time before it matures to the subsequent stage eg. c.6m-1yr investment. If you think we need clarity on this please post your thoughts.

So, out of the options, what are your thoughts on when the best prices will be found for these sorts of domains...?

Grateful for your thoughts.
("when the right offer comes in" is not an option!)

DI

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It will take many years for .tech to establish itself and create an awareness with the public, until then we wont see many sales or big sale prices.

As soon as you notice .tech in regular search results then we will see good sales.

Google Searches :

'site:.tech' = 507,000 results

'site:.technology' = 312,000 results

•••
For me personally being a mainly 'tech domainer' I always consider my optimum time to sell is the the development / investment stage of a products life cycle. This may well produce vastly lower gross income from the sale rather than selling the domain later either during the 'roll out' or 'full scale adoption' phases of the product, but there are advantages which I think out weigh holding such domains for the final big sale/s possible at either of the two later stages (roll out with its mass of marketing and advertising hype or the full scale adoption of the product when net searches will result in large quantities of natural traffic).

Different domainers have different strategies and requirements from those strategies, none I think will be 'wrong' and the optimum result is what eac domainer requires from their investment in the domains.

•••
It will take many years for .tech to establish itself and create an awareness with the public, until then we wont see many sales or big sale prices.

As soon as you notice .tech in regular search results then we will see good sales.

Google Searches :

'site:.tech' = 507,000 results

'site:.technology' = 312,000 results

Apologies- I should have been clearer. I do not mean a .tech domain but a technology related domain...!
(bold to clarify for future readers)

Cheers,

DI

•••
For me personally being a mainly 'tech domainer' I always consider my optimum time to sell is the the development / investment stage of a products life cycle. This may well produce vastly lower gross income from the sale rather than selling the domain later either during the 'roll out' or 'full scale adoption' phases of the product, but there are advantages which I think out weigh holding such domains for the final big sale/s possible at either of the two later stages (roll out with its mass of marketing and advertising hype or the full scale adoption of the product when net searches will result in large quantities of natural traffic).

Different domainers have different strategies and requirements from those strategies, none I think will be 'wrong' and the optimum result is what eac domainer requires from their investment in the domains.

Thanks @TheBaldOne for this excellent insight. Can I ask which advantages you gain from selling that early in the tech's life cycle?

•••
@Invest3r. The main advantage for me is that allows me the financial backing to continue researching and analysing new areas of technology / science / medicine / etc. and hopefully discovering yet more new domains to register. :lookaround:

There is of course a major downside and that is by selling early in a new technologys development means I make far less, but that is the price I have to accept to do what I enjoy most - the hunt for understanding of a new product or technology and analysing what impact that will have in the future.

Of course just because my 'aim' is to sell early in a new technology's life cycle does not mean I will achieve my aim, for that is all it is - an aim. A good example is offering a domain portfolio for a new technology that has recently received $100m in third round funding (including from Google) but those domains have not even raised a $1 offer for the portfolio from others, so you can see an 'aim' is just that. (I guess realising that I am not a good 'salesman' also leads me to prefer selling early in a technology's life cycle. :rolleyes: ).

•••
@Invest3r. The main advantage for me is that allows me the financial backing to continue researching and analysing new areas of technology / science / medicine / etc. and hopefully discovering yet more new domains to register. :lookaround:

There is of course a major downside and that is by selling early in a new technologys development means I make far less, but that is the price I have to accept to do what I enjoy most - the hunt for understanding of a new product or technology and analysing what impact that will have in the future.

Of course just because my 'aim' is to sell early in a new technology's life cycle does not mean I will achieve my aim, for that is all it is - an aim. A good example is offering a domain portfolio for a new technology that has recently received $100m in third round funding (including from Google) but those domains have not even raised a $1 offer for the portfolio from others, so you can see an 'aim' is just that. (I guess realising that I am not a good 'salesman' also leads me to prefer selling early in a technology's life cycle. :rolleyes: ).

I see your logic but the other side of the coin would be having patience to wait it out although I appreciate risk goes up this way, so it is a trade off.

I wouldn't be so hard on your sales skills! After all it is just a case of generating exposure, interest and excitement. Can I ask whether what platforms you use to sell?

Would be interested to see more thoughts from other domainers and for the poll to give a good representation of the consensus...!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back