IT.COM

question What's your Go To TLD when .com isn't available?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
Mine is .Co for the following reasons;

1. It's short
2. It's concise
3. It's recognizable
4. It ranks 5th behind .net, .org and .io

I only have a few .co names, but I'm developing them for my own business, and I'm in the process of trademarking both because it's the smart thing to do imho.

Do you have a backup, or do you just give up?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Personally I dislike .co. In England if you use .co then everyone expects you to follow up with ".uk" and gets confused if you don't. Then explaining that it isn't a .co.uk or a .com but .co causes further confusion. It'll get better as time passes I suppose.

I always go with a .com unless I can get away with an extension-specific url (.gg for games / .io for dev applications etc)

•••
•••
•••
Mine is .Co for the following reasons;

1. It's short
2. It's concise
3. It's recognizable
4. It ranks 5th behind .net, .org and .io

I only have a few .co names, but I'm developing them for my own business, and I'm in the process of trademarking both because it's the smart thing to do imho.

Do you have a backup, or do you just give up?
Imo we should be careful with that: .co can be usually registered for few bucks (initial first year reg), but then renewals are around $30. And that is just too much imo, unless you have really good 1 word name, where it will make sense from math point of view.

There are many people who register 200 .co names in their first year, do not sell any, and drop everything. This is just waste of money. Renewals must be sustainable, otherwise it is just gamble, not an investment.

Unless it is very good name byt itself, I recommend do not go this direction :)

•••
Imo we should be careful with that: .co can be usually registered for few bucks (initial first year reg), but then renewals are around $30. And that is just too much imo, unless you have really good 1 word name, where it will make sense from math point of view.

There are many people who register 200 .co names in their first year, do not sell any, and drop everything. This is just waste of money. Renewals must be sustainable, otherwise it is just gamble, not an investment.

Unless it is very good name byt itself, I recommend do not go this direction :)
You misunderstood. I only have a few .Co domains, mostly for development only. $30 renewal a year is a real cheap price to pay for a domain that works for you, the .com isn't available and you're able to TM the name like I have....there are exceptions to every rule.

•••
You misunderstood. I only have a few .Co domains, mostly for development only. $30 renewal a year is a real cheap price to pay for a domain that works for you, the .com isn't available and you're able to TM the name like I have....there are exceptions to every rule.
Oh, I see, I probably misread it then. Yes, if you develop, the cost of $30 renewal a year is not relevant, I agree.

I was refering to case when someone would register lot of .co names as for domain investment, in which case I think that renewal is pretty steep :)

•••
if com is not available its simple - i dont buy anything

if i can't date the prettiest girl in my school, im not going to date her ugly cousin.

•••
if com is not available its simple - i dont buy anything

if i can't date the prettiest girl in my school, im not going to date her ugly cousin.

Lyrics by Jimmy Soul:xf.rolleyes:;

"If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So from my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you"

•••
What is keyword what is target eg geo. How soaked is industry all would determine extension.
Eg example.com taken example net taken. example org taken example site taken example website taken. If dot site or dot website was available it may be next choice of gtld. A example geo would be useless. Another keyword could be better targeting a country but this only works with generic words. Brands stick to dot com.

•••
.net

Fits tech and online/net-based businesses and companies.

Good for SEO.

•••
•••
For my own web sites I would use, .biz, .info. .net or a new tld. Also I don't like .com at all, except selling it.

I was using keyword.info and making good money, someone offered keywordinfo.com, and I was totally uninterested, and if I owned keyword.com I would redirect it to keyword.info.

Last edited:
•••
Lyrics by Jimmy Soul:xf.rolleyes:;

"If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So from my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you"
I got married to an ugly woman and yet I have an unhappy miserable life 😟 I guess the Lyrics has been proven wrong 😒
And from my point of view, it doesn't matter if someone has a pretty or ugly wife if he himself is ugly. (i.e u can have the best domain names, but if ur business fails then its worthless)

•••
Back