Dynadot

discuss What's the state of the brandable domain market?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Brandable sales for me are up and down and nothing really consistent as has been in the past few years. I've noticed that the BrandBucket approved and listed names seems like a dying market also and is almost dead. I saw one thread where a domainer here is giving away BrandBucket listed names for free.

Has the brandable space just been flooded with so many names that there is way more inventory then demand on both the wholesale and end user side?

The thing that is confusing is lower priced expired names seem to be selling for decent money at Godaddy auctions. Doesn't make sense to me. Has the wind been taken out of the sails of the brandable market or is something else going on that I don't see?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
But when I go to the website Shortnames.com I see 4 and 5 letters, pronounceable domain names selling at Godaddy, Ebay, Namejet, Ename auctions between $400 and $2000 and it costs $15 to register a domain name. When people here say they are not selling I don't get it. Can you explain the reason you are saying the brandables are not selling? maybe I am wrong as I am new in this business. And can anyone explain to me what is BrandBucket domain names? Is this a company or what? I don't understand it.

http://BrandBucket.com

google is you best friend
( in case you search something on the web )

•••
Yeah the reseller market is over-saturated. I'm definitely doing my part :)

You would think that BrandBucket published names could at least maintain a floor of reg fee + listing fee + a few bucks premium, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

That would be something like $8 + $9 + $3 = $21

This year, I've had published names available for $16 or $18 fixed price for months at a time and no one bit.

•••
I have definitely noticed that too. A couple months ago, BB approved names were selling like hot cakes but not any more. One possible explanation can be BB forcing resellers to list their names, that immediately raises the floor price to $10, add to that the scarcity of good coupons these days, it's just not worth the hustle especially for NP BB sellers. Also, with all due respect to BB, they are not exactly churning out sale after sale and they are the biggest players in the brandable market.

•••
Brandable domain is surely a long term investment. That's the the truth about it

•••
FWIW my ~900 name BB portfolio has only generated 3 sales so far this year. I've been getting quite a few requests from BB to discount at rates higher than previously was the case. And quite a few potential buyers have been emailing me directly to cut BB out of the loop (which I always just forward on to BB).

I also noticed that BR included some sales stats in a recent email. I wont repeat here publicly, but they mentioned their absolute sales figures for Jan, Feb and Mar 2017. Email subject line is "A quick note about your lower priced domains...".

I think that the price inflation at wholesale auctions indicates that this niche is now overcooked, and the super profits have already been reaped. It's somewhat akin to when the taxi driver tells you what stocks to buy - you know it's time to get out. Not quite as bad, since there's always a end-user demand for good brandable names, but you have to have a good acquisition technique combined with a better sales approach than relying on brandable marketplaces IMO.

On a tangent - I noticed that both Comppute.com and Compuute.com are listed on BB. To me that's a real put-off - you can see customers asking "Which one are you? The one with two "p"s or the one with two "u"s?". I expect the double-letter fad to soon taper off.

•••
i'm 2.67% turn half way through the year so far - i am very picky with what I buy and hold. I also try to keep my portfolio as balanced (diversified) as possible as trends are continuously changing. Quality names will always do well.

I see so many BB listed names on hear for sale that no one wants - and the reason they aren't selling is they just are not good names.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back