Dynadot

domains What’s one insight that has led you to become a better domainer?

NameSilo
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Squadhelp published an interesting little article about ten days ago. The article centered around one simple question, What’s one insight that has led you to become a better domainer? It was asked on Twitter and they published several of the responses. I especially like the reply from @TonyNames. It’s something I have echoed for many […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So,

Begin with an end user in mind.

Simple.

•••
Patience, and NEVER accept the first offer.

•••
Keep patience, never fall for low ball offer, stick to .Com

Buy domains which are already registered in at least 20 TLDs

maintain cash flow, that would keep you going.

•••
•••
One thing I've learned is never underestimate any enquiry, many multi-billion dollar companies will mask who they are behind a fake e-mail address (i.e. gmail), they will even give this e-mail some history (i.e. have a few hand regs linked to this e-mail address) so they look small time or a start-up.

Be consistent on your asking price, this time last year i was all over with my asking prices and the prices changed for my domains however i felt on the day, be consistent how much you want and quote everyone the same.

•••
Be consistent on your asking price, this time last year i was all over with my asking prices and the prices changed for my domains however i felt on the day, be consistent how much you want and quote everyone the same.

This is where I was going wrong for the whole of last year - had make offers on most names, was being inconsistent with asking prices and negotiations, changed to BIN's, kept changing BIN pricing regularly, kept changing Nameservers - in a nut shell was an utter mess......even though the offers and enquiries where coming in on a steady basis I think I pissed off/confused a lot potential buyers with all the changes

I have now set BIN's on 95% of my domains on DAN and will leave them be for this year, with some minor tweaks to minimum starting bids depending on sales data or trends.....

•••
Thinking of how I can be the End User of some of my own domains by using them to create awareness around the issues that are important to the future of the World has broadened my horizons on domain names.

We as domainers are in the best position to come up with new domains that could be used to do some good for the Humanity and our Home Planet.

Yes you can create awareness just by the act of registering some useful domains, and whether you end up using those yourself or not you can still take pride in having been able to make a difference for the better in the World. IMO

Here are some of the domains that I have registered recently:

SavingOurHomePlanet.com
GoodOldEarth.com
EndingStarvation.com
GoAllSustainable.com
HatefulSpeech.com
UniversalHealthcareCoverage.com

And some from before:

AiMedicalCenter.com
FreeVaccination.com
FeedAllKids.com
GoRighteous.com
GlobalReform.com

Last edited:
•••
Domains are extremely valuable, stop leaving money on the table!

•••
Save in Bitcoin, at least 20% of your profit should be stored in a cold wallet like Ledger or ColdCard.

This is one of the few industries where you can buy x-amount of bitcoin for $8.49.

Without liquid capital, your domains will sell cheap and you will miss buying opportunities that may present themselves.

•••
We all have to experience what works and what doesn't work in this industry. Getting the right domain for the right price is just the start. It's a complex game of naming, timing, pricing, choosing the right venue, combined with the right promotion. Doing it all good can take some time, and you probably won't sell all your names. Making costly mistakes with your own money can help to focus on choosing better names and strategies in the future. I also like the idea of viewing domains as liabilities instead of assets in decision making.

•••
When selling in general, don't base advertising on how you want to be found, advertise on how people are expecting to find you.

•••
•••
I used this formula and it works all the time.
(The Girl, not the formulas on the blackboard).
124059256-beautiful-woman-thinking-how-to-solve-a-math-problem.jpg

Last edited:
•••
“Domainers are like artists.”

Last edited:
•••
Keep patience, never fall for low ball offer, stick to .Com

Buy domains which are already registered in at least 20 TLDs

maintain cash flow, that would keep you going.

If you believe in the inherent quality of domain and are willing to hold, other regs don't matter.

•••
If you believe in the inherent quality of domain and are willing to hold, other regs don't matter.

Other regs is easiest manipulate like “.sucks.”
but other domainers swear by it, as a means for their owners to come back after your king. Personally, if you check other extensions make sure not all “offline” Just add habit it gets more accurate data imo.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Sometimes, when I check a domain name on Godaddy and it says...'Bummer. Someone owns this domain' I double check on another registry and find that it is still available. GoFigure Godaddy. GoFu

•••
•••
This is a hard question to answer, just one skill. After naming skills, it would be communication skills.

Last edited:
•••
I think Patience and think before accepting an offer

•••
•••
I would say persistence.

•••
Hi

"be, true to self"

cuz,
domaining can change a mo-fo
into someone, who they never thought