IT.COM

What's one domain trend you regretted buying into?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Way3

Branding and Domain InvestingEstablished Member
Impact
What is the one domain trend over the years that you most regretted buying into?

I'll start - early on in my investing I saw someone, somewhere (Twitter?) saying that they'd sold a .fr domain, and they said they were making a fortune selling country specific domains only. Being new, I just bought up a slew of .fr domains - that was years ago, long story short that went nowhere, and I quickly let go of that.

Learning lessons are the best. :xf.rolleyes:

btw - if you are new to domaining, some country based tlds sell very well. Not that one.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Regging in random extensions seems to be a common trend. I was also in that trap for a while where I would register a domain idea in multiple extensions, .co .us .biz .info .org etc... I was sucked in by GD's bundle and "save" offers. I stopped doing that right before I joined this forum.

After that, I tried going back in and scooping up dictionary words for new extensions and the appeal is just not there. The only one that did just decent was .gg

I barely even go for .net or .org now unless it's a personal project or high-interest dictionary word. 90% of my portfolio is .com now.

•••
Purchasing various .me domains that seemed appealing. It's nice to have purchases that, if not developed, have potential resale value. Overall, .me domains appear to have lost their appeal, especially compared to other extensions such as .com .
I can relate to this.

There was a time when .name domains got really famous and everyone wanted a domain matching their name with the .name or .me tld. I got into the hype and got some of them to eventually realise that it was just a hype that people bought into and the hype died down, so did i let my .name and .me domains go away

•••
.ws. I had accountant.ws for years, and emoji .ws. No one used until dropped, and the renewal fee was so high.

•••
I can relate to this.

There was a time when .name domains got really famous and everyone wanted a domain matching their name with the .name or .me tld. I got into the hype and got some of them to eventually realise that it was just a hype that people bought into and the hype died down, so did i let my .name and .me domains go away
May all these misguided extension purchases now RIP.

Last edited:
•••
I try not have regrets just drops as and regret some of those as well. I could say that i have had industries lose popularity but at same time could regret wanting to think about this so much when could have speculated other things.

•••
.xyz was my worst mistake. Lots of singular one word domains with no offers for years. Luckily I’ve let them all expire.

•••
I can relate to this.

Ah, I had completely forgotten about .name domains. I registered quite a few .names back in 2004, ironically including successful, opportunity and, relevant for this thread, trends :ROFL:
Only ended up selling one .name and that was for next to nothing (200 namepros bucks) her on namepros.

•••
Sort of .us , it was a straight domainer to domainer market , flipping was ok , no end user interest was horrid .

•••
.xyz was my worst mistake. Lots of singular one word domains with no offers for years. Luckily I’ve let them all expire.
Was there any issue with some of the renewal costs being much higher than expected? Was that a factor in your decision to dropping them?

•••

A few examples of the domains in question?

When XYZ sales started to explode, I also grabbed a few dictionary words. It didn't get the attention I expected, but instead of dropping it, I sold almost all of them at auction and they made some profit.

•••
May all these misguided extension purchases now RIP.
RIP

Ah, I had completely forgotten about .name domains. I registered quite a few .names back in 2004, ironically including successful, opportunity and, relevant for this thread, trends :ROFL:
Only ended up selling one .name and that was for next to nothing (200 namepros bucks) her on namepros.
Lol

I guess we keep on learning from our mistakes, but wonder, do the tld owners as well learn from theirs!

•••
•••
Making the mistake back in 1999/2000 that a few members seem to be making today. That is registering domains (good key words) in the lesser extensions. i.e, net.org etc.
Cost me thousands of $$$ over the years.

Oh and may I add buying number domains with the number 4 in them - What an idiot in not realizing why they were available. Ask your Chinese friend

All very old mistakes but they still make my stomach churn

•••
Always running out of money when renewal comes. Nothing to regret about. Always believe in the Hand register domains.

•••
Like many here, I got suckered into the dot-mobi craze way back in the day... I escaped mostly unscathed because I sold a few off early - like AutoLoans.mobi - for decent cash. Otherwise, I would have taken a complete bath, as I hand-regged over 200 names! :xf.eek:

Last edited:
•••
Back