IT.COM

discuss What would make you confident enough for full-time domaining?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
What event would make you so confident that you would quit your day job to pick up domaining full time? It could be anything like:

1) 1 six-figure sale
2) 3 continuous months with $$$$ in aggregate income
3) 1 5-figure sale every month

For me, it would be 12 months of mid-4-figure sale in a row and a portfolio of 1000 odd domains which seem like the trend of mid-4-figure sale would continue for another 5 years.
Also, it should involve me developing a sense of where to invest and having a model in mind where I clearly know what will sell and what not, being able to identify if a domain is underpriced or overpriced.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have a better question.
What would make you more confident to sell just 'one' domain, rather than post nonsensical domain postings?

•••
1 full-time retirement brokered or .. polygyny $$$$$

Last edited:
•••
full time? What can you possibly do full time in domaining?

You need an hour a day to review names dropping / expiring.

Most names sell from inbound unless you sell very cheap names or you win the outbound lotto.

Domaining is a hobby. Some people make money on their hobby, some break even and other lose.

•••
full time? What can you possibly do full time in domaining?

You need an hour a day to review names dropping / expiring.

Most names sell from inbound unless you sell very cheap names or you win the outbound lotto.

Domaining is a hobby. Some people make money on their hobby, some break even and other lose.

Well, you could scale up. If you are buying 100+ names a day, that in itself could take full working day.

In past 12 months, I have been buying around 30 names a day on average and that takes probably good 3-4 hours a day.

•••
Well, you could scale up. If you are buying 100+ names a day, that in itself could take full working day.

In past 12 months, I have been buying around 30 names a day on average and that takes probably good 3-4 hours a day.
wow that's a lot of names a month. Are you buying to flip fast by listing on AN?

•••
wow that's a lot of names a month. Are you buying to flip fast by listing on AN?

I don't do flips. I just list with reasonable retail prices, normally in 2.5k-3k range for about 90%+ names I buy. I will get to 100 names a day in couple of years, I hope.

•••
I don't do flips. I just list with reasonable retail prices, normally in 2.5k-3k range for about 90%+ names I buy. I will get to 100 names a day in couple of years, I hope.
Interesting. Do you plough back new capital every month or is it the returns from existing names that funds your purchase?

•••
•••
At least 500 domains in my portfolio + cash in reserve for at least one year if no sales happen during this period + minimum 6 months of consistent sale(s) for every month.

On the other, there is one major factor as well which is the geographical location which must be considered. As I'm basically from Pakistan and here the cost of living for a family of 5 can easily be manageable for under $1,000 a month whereas it will be more than triple the cost of living in Europe/U.S/Canada, etc.

So considering the geo location, the minimum requirements I mentioned to be confident of myself as full time domainer would vary.

•••

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this!
If you don't mind me asking, are the 30 names marketplace purchases / closeouts or are those handregs? or maybe a mixture of both?

•••
I spend hours building landers doing work it won't be handed to me and i have fantastic domains that can easily sell so i pity people with no end users in mind buying names and wondering where customers will come from. Every F/T isn't just a domainer they run websites do everything else they already have an audience.

Last edited:
•••
You need consistent sales to go FT.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back