IT.COM

discuss What will happen to our Domains when we die?

NameSilo
Watch

Fortnite

Patience is the key to success and big moneyEstablished Member
Impact
As we all know death is inevitable, most of us dont like talking about it..But let's get back down to earth, face reality and have a thought about what will happen to our Precious Domains when one day we pass away?

Imagine if we have a portfolio of Millions of USD at stake? Have you ever thought about it?

Imagine all the amounts we spent on Domains going to expire and someone can easily "Backorder/Dropcatch/Snap etc...

Do we mention it in our will, for someone to inherit it?
Will it just expire when the deadline comes?

What are your thoughts about it and what steps would you take?🤔

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The "Domain Consiglieri" capability is not deliberately hidden. It is just not featured. It needs to be linked back into the top navigation. It is a speciality feature that comes up because someone contacts us about going in for major surgery, or someone notifies us that their domainer spouse passed, and now they have no clue what to do next to maximize value, or they need to liquidate to fund unexpected expense.

A further question: Should the inheritors of a domain name portfolio be told to transfer the domains to an Epik account in their own name, in advance of contacting Epik about their Domain Consiglieri service? Or should transferring be done after contacting? Or …..?

Last edited:
•••
As we all know death is inevitable, most of us dont like talking about it..But let's get back down to earth, face reality and have a thought about what will happen to our Precious Domains when one day we pass away?

Imagine if we have a portfolio of Millions of USD at stake? Have you ever thought about it?

Imagine all the amounts we spent on Domains going to expire and someone can easily "Backorder/Dropcatch/Snap etc...

Do we mention it in our will, for someone to inherit it?
Will it just expire when the deadline comes?

What are your thoughts about it and what steps would you take?🤔
I renew most of my more valuable domain names 5-8 years in advance ..

so when I die, they will expire in 5 year -8 year period after my death ...

and that will be it ... then some other domainers will take them, probably.

Not that I care much as .. I will be death already, and as we all know, we can not take our domain names with us beyond some point :)

•••
I renew most of my more valuable domain names 5-8 years in advance ..

so when I die, they will expire in 5 year -8 year period after my death ...

and that will be it ... then some other domainers will take them, probably.

Not that I care much as .. I will be death already, and as we all know, we can not take our domain names with us beyond some point :)

Things can change. Maybe you'll have someone to leave them to before you go.

Or maybe you could look at doing something like Fortnite is thinking of. If we can't take our domains with us, maybe we'll be able to take the memory of any good things we did with them.

But what if someone is solo in the game and dont have any successors?can he donate his entire portfolio as charity in case of his passing or being incapacitated?

•••
Program a bot to appraise renew and manage list mail outs automate it. Hard part is keeping the bank account open after dead.

Last edited:
•••
Rob, would you happen to have an answer for this?

A further question: Should the inheritors of a domain name portfolio be told to transfer the domains to an Epik account in their own name, in advance of contacting Epik about their Domain Consiglieri service? Or should transferring be done after contacting? Or …..?

The question was in response to your comment:

The "Domain Consiglieri" capability is not deliberately hidden. It is just not featured. It needs to be linked back into the top navigation. It is a speciality feature that comes up because someone contacts us about going in for major surgery, or someone notifies us that their domainer spouse passed, and now they have no clue what to do next to maximize value, or they need to liquidate to fund unexpected expense.

•••
Rob, would you happen to have an answer for this?

The question was in response to your comment:

No I don't think they need to put domains in the name of a trustee or beneficiary. They can simply provide instructions as to how the domains should be managed in the event of their passing or becoming incapacitated. It can be a formal power of attorney or informal instructions but we need them in writing and we need to verify that it was transmitted by the registrant.

•••
No I don't think they need to put domains in the name of a trustee or beneficiary. They can simply provide instructions as to how the domains should be managed in the event of their passing or becoming incapacitated. It can be a formal power of attorney or informal instructions but we need them in writing and we need to verify that it was transmitted by the registrant.

I'm not wanting to flog this issue to death, but it seems an important one. Another question: So it's okay with ICANN if a dead person is shown as the registrant of domain names? From an Epik email - the bolding is mine:

It's that time of year again. ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) annually requires that all accredited registrars (like Epik) ask their domain administrators/registrants to review domain name contact data and make any changes necessary to ensure accuracy. According to our records, you are the ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT on the ......com domain name registered at Epik:

Our records include the following information: .....................

If you find that your domain contact data is current and accurate, there's no need to take action. If, however, your domain contact information is inaccurate, you must correct it. (Under ICANN rules and the terms of your registration agreement, PROVIDING FALSE CONTACT INFORMATION CAN BE GROUNDS FOR DOMAIN NAME CANCELLATION.)

•••
Cal makes a good point. For the sake of domains that will be liquidated quickly and assets distributed to heirs (assuming the Epik team will handle this) it would not likely come up unless the domainer has his/her privacy off and the world learns of his/her death and someone makes a claim or creates a stir. I'm just guessing here and someone with more/better knowledge will respond soon hopefully.

Back to OP: In my case, I was recently able to get a relative to begin researching domain investing and if they ever get serious, that will be the person I leave control to. In the event no one in my heir list wants to bother learning at least the basics of the industry, I will ask Rob to sell my portfolio in whole or part (obviously break out the better names to sell individually) and Epik will make their 9% less overhead and proceeds given to 2 or 3 designated charities. Of course I will ask that copies of the donation receipts be sent to my closest 10 heirs so they can commiserate at their loss. :xf.smile::xf.grin::ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
[
I'm not wanting to flog this issue to death, but it seems an important one. Another question: So it's okay with ICANN if a dead person is shown as the registrant of domain names? From an Epik email - the bolding is mine:

It's that time of year again. ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) annually requires that all accredited registrars (like Epik) ask their domain administrators/registrants to review domain name contact data and make any changes necessary to ensure accuracy. According to our records, you are the ADMINISTRATIVE CONTACT on the ......com domain name registered at Epik:

Our records include the following information: .....................

If you find that your domain contact data is current and accurate, there's no need to take action. If, however, your domain contact information is inaccurate, you must correct it. (Under ICANN rules and the terms of your registration agreement, PROVIDING FALSE CONTACT INFORMATION CAN BE GROUNDS FOR DOMAIN NAME CANCELLATION.)

I am dealing with a case right now of a 3L.com which was allegedly stolen 4 years ago and trafficked through Network Solutions, then Godaddy and now Epik. The registrant is using a false identity -- the name of the actual registrant. I won't announce the name since I don't want to impair the domain but the domain is under registrar lock. The ToS gives us license to do that, since otherwise we would have to comply with a request for a transfer out after having received the subpoena from the person who is almost certainly the legal owner of the name but for which they still have a burden of proof. If you are wondering why that clause exists, now you know. The integrity of the industry is predicated on enforcing legal title.

•••
If you are wondering why that clause exists, now you know. The integrity of the industry is predicated on enforcing legal title.

Just speculating with this: I'm thinking that 'enforcing legal title' could also extend to situations where someone is dead, and as their domain names were more 'rented/leased' than 'owned', ICANN could say the domain name/s should revert back to the entities that the names were rented/leased from, using grounds like the yearly verified contact info given isn't accurate, because person is deceased. Whether ICANN would ever do that is a question, to me. Maybe it would take something like Mister Funsky said: "someone makes a claim or creates a stir". Domain names worth big $, or which have big value in other ways to some people, might bring such actions(?)

But as I said, just speculating.

•••
Just speculating with this: I'm thinking that 'enforcing legal title' could also extend to situations where someone is dead, and as their domain names were more 'rented/leased' than 'owned', ICANN could say the domain name/s should revert back to the entities that the names were rented/leased from, using grounds like the yearly verified contact info given isn't accurate, because person is deceased. Whether ICANN would ever do that is a question, to me. Maybe it would take something like Mister Funsky said: "someone makes a claim or creates a stir". Domain names worth big $, or which have big value in other ways to some people, might bring such actions(?)

But as I said, just speculating.

Thankfully, we have free ICANN-compliant WHOIS privacy so it is not hard to protect the registrant from such nonsense for as long as their domains are not expired.

That said, based on the recent RDAP moves, I do believe we'll see more of that type of regulatory overreach that extends into claiming property of deceased.

The way I see this happening is that the registries will back into some kind of ID verification work process where ID verification will be required to register, renew or transfer.

This is one major reason why I am advocating folks to secure Forever registrations. I see that Draconian nonsense falling into place sooner than most people realize.

Speaking for Epik, we will be governed by contracts, including a forever promise to route.

•••
Thankfully, we have free ICANN-compliant WHOIS privacy so it is not hard to protect the registrant from such nonsense for as long as their domains are not expired.

That said, based on the recent RDAP moves, I do believe we'll see more of that type of regulatory overreach that extends into claiming property of deceased.

The way I see this happening is that the registries will back into some kind of ID verification work process where ID verification will be required to register, renew or transfer.

This is one major reason why I am advocating folks to secure Forever registrations. I see that Draconian nonsense falling into place sooner than most people realize.

Speaking for Epik, we will be governed by contracts, including a forever promise to route.

Thanks for all your good input, Rob.

A further question, on escrow and payments: What might happen if payment on a large sale goes through escrow.com (at buyer's request) and the stated owner of the domain is different from the person to who the money is to be sent to? In this case, that person could be an inheritor. Do such transactions still work as far as escrow.com accepting it, or does that throw a wrench into the situation? Does such a situation work with Epik's escrow, for a domain coming in from outside Epik?

•••
Thanks for all your good input, Rob.

A further question, on escrow and payments: What might happen if payment on a large sale goes through escrow.com (at buyer's request) and the stated owner of the domain is different from the person to who the money is to be sent to? In this case, that person could be an inheritor. Do such transactions still work as far as escrow.com accepting it, or does that throw a wrench into the situation? Does such a situation work with Epik's escrow, for a domain coming in from outside Epik?

@Cal2 - I won't speak for escrow.com.

For Epik, we ask that escrow transactions go over our registrar. This is done for transaction assurance and regulatory compliance.

In cases where that is not possible, customers are able to do self-serve marketplace transactions.

In either case, sale proceeds are deposited to the customer's account redeemable by whoever has access to the account credentials.

•••
Discuss your domain portfolio with an Estate Planning professional. Obviously, you want your beneficiaries to be aware of all of your assets, so you have to leave them a clue, and a way to access them. An attorney may help walk you through potential issues such as renewal or UDRP/legal costs of your domains. You don't want to leave you spouse or beneficiary something valuable, and no way to defend that asset, if someone files a legal proceeding against it. That's just a reality of today's world. It's not just about leaving ownership of an asset, but the ability to maintain the ownership.

Not sure if domains can be put in a trust. Perhaps someone like John Berryhill (a licensed attorney) can speak more on that.

•••
•••
Just wondering, just like ICANN sends emails for verifying the Whois details, to make sure they are still valid each year, how about adding a field/column at their Database for each domain reading - Nominee email. I think it will be great if this concern can be handled at the higher level, so everyone will be safe and rather renew for much more years at one go, as they know their assets are safe forever.

•••
I will probably renew all domains for 10 years out, put them all on fast transfer, and give the bank account info to my kid.

Hopefully the account will grow automatically. :)

Seriously though, it should be a part of Estate planning just like other investments.

•••
Just wondering, just like ICANN sends emails for verifying the Whois details, to make sure they are still valid each year, how about adding a field/column at their Database for each domain reading - Nominee email. I think it will be great if this concern can be handled at the higher level, so everyone will be safe and rather renew for much more years at one go, as they know their assets are safe forever.

ICANN does not send those emails. They are sent by the registrar, as required and regulated by the registry. Of course now WHOIS is Swiss cheese due to GDPR so we'll see what happens there.

The point you are raising is a good one which is the need for a central registry where the registrant can name their trustee.

As you might be aware, Epik is working on a project called WHOQ.com. It is a user-driven verified WHOIS registry where verified domain owners can set policy on how they can be reached.

Among the features included is the ability to initiate a domain dispute without having to go to an attorney.

Another logical feature you are raising here is the ability to register the assignee or trustee. This data can then also be written out to a resilient on-chain Smart Contract.

In retrospect, the idea is obvious. Thank you for connecting that dot even if you did not intend it!

@Sufyan Alani
@vitigo
@Ala Dadan

•••
Information or promotion?
I am confused.

•••
ICANN does not send those emails. They are sent by the registrar, as required and regulated by the registry. Of course now WHOIS is Swiss cheese due to GDPR so we'll see what happens there.

The point you are raising is a good one which is the need for a central registry where the registrant can name their trustee.

As you might be aware, Epik is working on a project called WHOQ.com. It is a user-driven verified WHOIS registry where verified domain owners can set policy on how they can be reached.

Among the features included is the ability to initiate a domain dispute without having to go to an attorney.

Another logical feature you are raising here is the ability to register the assignee or trustee. This data can then also be written out to a resilient on-chain Smart Contract.

In retrospect, the idea is obvious. Thank you for connecting that dot even if you did not intend it!

@Sufyan Alani
@vitigo
@Ala Dadan
You're welcome, Rob! My ideas are always intended towards the whole domain names ecosystem in general. Good to know Epik as a registrar is taking some initiatives, I am sure others will also learn and follow them soon.

Last edited:
•••
I am confused.

You are a broken record @johnn. It is both:

Informational

Estate planning in the domain industry is has no standards. If you left it to the state, then when you would die, the domain name would go to the state as unclaimed property. I am not sure about you, but that seems like a pretty lousy plan for anyone, and certainly for the industry.

Demonstrative

Industry technology suppliers can partner with the community to create model best practices that solve hard problems in transparent ways. WHOQ is a public utility, i.e. it is not a revenue engine but plugs a gap created by GDPR and RDAP based on opt-in cooperation.

For those not aware, @johnn has a hard-on for Epik:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/rob-monster-bought-namepros-without-paying-a-dime.1167267/

•••
I am confused.
Would it be better if Rob replaced the word "Epik" with the words "My Company"?

Of course not.

It is beginning to look like you @johnn are purposely stalking Rob Monster instead of trying to enjoy the forum.

Your only contribution to this thread is two comments bothering another member.

You might be banned for that @johnn. Were I you, I would give it a rest and let the forum do its work.

Even if someone breaks a rule, two wrongs do not make a right. It's up to NP mgmt to decide those matters....NOONE ELSE.

Last edited:
•••
When will you stop SPAMING by promoting your business in every single thread?
Spamming? (Correct spelling)
With an extremely relevant answer. ie. whaddafuk happens to our domain names when we die.

epik.JPG

Quite frankly I'm getting tired of you bitching dude.

Easy to tell who got touched up, beaten up, whatever. See a shrink. This is a forum for domainers.
I'm a father of three grown up adult children and they are secure in themselves, so I know what I am talking about. Do you?

Whiney bitching has to stop. I don't pay to be here to see Jerry Springer rubbish.

We ALL judge people by their behaviour..

I call this picture. IDIOT.jpg

twat.JPG

I assume business is not going well for you. Maybe change direction or see a doctor.

Last edited:
•••
Program a bot to appraise renew and manage list mail outs automate it. Hard part is keeping the bank account open after dead.
We have auto-giro here.

A man was recently found dead in his apartment in his armchair listening to the radio with a lamp on. He had been there for three years, poor chap, and it was only because he missed three rents after the auto-giro had emptied his account that the buzzards started to pay attention.

•••
I will probably renew all domains for 10 years out, put them all on fast transfer, and give the bank account info to my kid.

Hopefully the account will grow automatically. :)

Seriously though, it should be a part of Estate planning just like other investments.
True. I have involved my wife in this new part of my life, and she is at Squadhelp now too with some premium domains.

She has all my passwords etc.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back