IT.COM

discuss What will be the future for .wtf domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi Guys,

What will be the future for .wtf domains?

Will be considered under adult category or fun category?

Dev

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
LOL..i think wtf.wtf is the only domain which will have a resale value...first one for second one....

mt.wtf - monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday

mtwtf - a whopping 390 monthly searches.

#Millionaire

•••
How many websites could .menu truly work for, for example?

I would really like to look at their business plan. I mean, there must have been one, somewhere, where they said, yeah, EVERY restaurant on earth will want to register their name.menu.....

I have thought about this some, and the plethora of extensions that are appearing remind me of those old time silent videos of crazily designed 'airplanes' crashing before takeoff, as people tried to figure out flight....

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE some of the new extensions. I am even a fan of one extension that seems to get no love at all around here, .supply. But some, like wtf or menu, not so much.

•••
the plethora of extensions that are appearing remind me of those old time silent videos of crazily designed 'airplanes' crashing before takeoff, as people tried to figure out flight....

Probably the best analogy I've seen yet. Well done.

•••
Will Totally Fail
lol I kind of agree with this..it's really .wtf

But I don't think that all new gTLD will fail. Some, in fact many might survive. Just like how many were skeptical of the internet or .com back in the 90s or even till up to 2007-2009 where internet marketing/banking/retailing was just picking up. And if I'm not mistaken, the crazy .xyz domain has loads of registration. Why would so many rush for those, beats me

•••

But I don't think that all new gTLD will fail. Some, in fact many might survive. Just like how many were skeptical of the internet or .com back in the 90s or even till up to 2007-2009 where internet marketing/banking/retailing was just picking up. And if I'm not mistaken, the crazy .xyz domain has loads of registration. Why would so many rush for those, beats me

While .xyz may be the fastest growing new gtld, due to all the free registrations that were given out, next year it will also be the fastest plummeting, in terms of drops, imo. This time, next year will tell a lot about .xyz.

•••
I highly doubt any new extension will survive. Your 'skeptical' argument doesn't really apply--people realized the potential and importance of the Internet, thus skepticism receded. This likely will never happen with the new gTLDs. No one ever saw the importance of .name after all these years (because there is none). No one will see it in .club, .xyz, .menu, .wtf, .rocks etc, either, since they are all expendable.

I think .be was free when it first came out. I couldn't imagine even 20% of them were renewed. I couldn't see even 5%.

Edited: I changed "net" to "Internet," as I had the feeling ppl might think I was referring to .net -- I was referring to the Internet itself

While .xyz may be the fastest growing new gtld, due to all the free registrations that were given out, next year it will also be the fastest plummeting, in terms of drops, imo. This time, next year will tell a lot about .xyz.
[

Last edited:
•••
I highly doubt any new extension will survive. Your 'skeptical' argument doesn't really apply--people realized the potential and importance of the net, thus skepticism receded. This likely will never happen with the new gTLDs. No one ever saw the importance of .name after all these years (because there is none). No one will see it in .club, .xyz, .menu, .wtf, .rocks etc, either, since they are all expendable.

I think .be was free when it first came out. I couldn't imagine even 20% of them were renewed. I couldn't see even 5%.
[

ROFL

•••
May I inquire as to the perceived hilarity of my statement? The new gTLDs are merely vanity extensions being passed off as "the new wave of internet" crap. Explain to me, in detail, why .info, .biz, and .mobi failed. If you can do this and find a way to distance the new wave from your explanation, you just might have a case.

•••
No one ever saw the importance of .name after all these years (because there is none). No one will see it in .club, .xyz, .menu, .wtf, .rocks etc, either, since they are all expendable.

Also contributing to failure, high renewal fees (on some) and lack of end user buy-in. Too much promotion within the domainer community and not enough to the outside world. Ask 10 random people if they've heard of any of them. Half of them will probably think it's some new spammer trick. To Jane and Joe Average, they're all "wtf domains".

Then they go to register a domain for their new website, are overwhelmed by all these new options end up saying "**** it, give me a .com" Studies show that given too many choices people tend to glaze over and choose none of them (ice cream flavors may be an exception ;) ).

Doesn't help that many of the dot whatevers have high renewal fees - if its more than a .com they price themselves right out of the bulk of the end user market.

.club may stand half a chance if they get off their butts and promote a little. IMO, .wtf is a goner.

•••
Great way to put it. Even after all these years. I know frequent net users who've never heard of .name or .mobi

Also contributing to failure, high renewal fees (on some) and lack of end user buy-in. Too much promotion within the domainer community and not enough to the outside world. Ask 10 random people if they've heard of any of them. Half of them will probably think it's some new spammer trick. To Jane and Joe Average, they're all "wtf domains".

Then they go to register a domain for their new website, are overwhelmed by all these new options end up saying "**** it, give me a .com" Studies show that given too many choices people tend to glaze over and choose none of them (ice cream flavors may be an exception ;) ).

Doesn't help that many of the dot whatevers have high renewal fees - if its more than a .com they price themselves right out of the bulk of the end user market.

.club may stand half a chance if they get off their butts and promote a little. IMO, .wtf is a goner.

•••
I wonder how ICANN would explain the necessity for such an extension..

I think .wtf is necessary. Crap keyword + Crap extension.. It will make us easy to appraise..!!

•••
I cant wait to begin appraising .wtf. That will be fun, considering how many live wtf tm's are listed on uspto.
Btw, have you seen the official logo of World Taekwondo Federation? Check it out... it say WTF ! lol.

•••
I cant wait to begin appraising .wtf. That will be fun, considering how many live wtf tm's are listed on uspto.
Btw, have you seen the official logo of World Taekwondo Federation? Check it out... it say WTF ! lol.

You know someone will buy Affiliate.wtf and sell it on Flippa for thousands and then come back here and bash everyone for mocking .wtf

I attribute most Flippa sales to a combination of inexperience and stupidity; with a splash of desperation.

•••
stupid is + stupid does = wtf..., so yea definitely there will be 4 digit wtf sales.

•••
Good possibility. But there is no correlation between an ignorant purchase and the value of an extension. Had there been, flowers.mobi should have made .mobi a powerhouse. And we all know the story...

You know someone will buy Affiliate.wtf and sell it on Flippa for thousands and then come back here and bash everyone for mocking .wtf

•••
May I inquire as to the perceived hilarity of my statement? The new gTLDs are merely vanity extensions being passed off as "the new wave of internet" crap. Explain to me, in detail, why .info, .biz, and .mobi failed. If you can do this and find a way to distance the new wave from your explanation, you just might have a case.

Why should I explain something you probably already know? .info is the only one of them who make sense the other two are just as pointless as .pw marketed as professional website. Do the registry make a profit on .info? If so I would not consider it a failure other than in a bad market analysis. .mobi is a project that failed because of the smartphones. .biz is just bad, maybe even worse than the terrible .wtf.

There is always a need and demand for let's say deals or shop. Are they going to replace .com? Probably not but to say none of them are going to survive is what I find being wishful thinking adjusted after ones own investment. If people can use .net and .io they can use .club.

•••
And you actually laughed at my answer? I should do the same with yours but nah--I'm an actual professional. Take these:

1.) .pw has NOTHING to do with it. It's not a gTLD. It's a ccTLD. See here. We aren't even talking about them.

2.) "Failure" is defined in different ways. Profit vs usage is an argument ppl make. If a domain extension makes the registry money yet barely exists in the minds of the ppl, could you really call it a success? It depends on your criteria. Most wold agree that .info is a failure, but to each his own.

3.) .mobi did not "fail because of smartphones." It failed because PPL NEVER DEVELOPED THEM. Probably over 97% of all .mobi's were forwarded to the .com. Now, why is that? Easy: nobody care enough to develop a .mobi when they had the .com.

4.) .biz is just bad? Little one, you are talking through opinion. That's a point here: everyone has opinions. But .biz has a purpose/use. .wtf has no niche/purpose/reason. .biz, it could be argued, is better than .wtf. Yet .biz simply didn't catch on. It goes by #3 above: Unless ppl develop these, then they'll fall flat. There may be XXX,XXX registered of extension, but that holds no point: domainers own most, and they are held looking for buyers. They'll likely not be developed, thus they'll become .biz-caliber.

5.) Reread your sentence a few times: "If people can use .net and .io they can use .club." Now, look at the definition of can and will. Your argument shows that you are an amateur. Sure, they CAN. But does that mean they will? Just because a person could use a .net, they could use a .club? You lack point in your argument: CAN? lol Sure child, ppl can. But just because they CAN use a .club, does that mean they will? Your argument, even if you didn't intend it, is: Every extension can be used, thus they all will. Yep, tell this to .name portfolio owners...

The next time you wanna laugh at a professional, make sure he can't make you look like an idiot. lol

Why should I explain something you probably already know? .info is the only one of them who make sense the other two are just as pointless as .pw marketed as professional website. Do the registry make a profit on .info? If so I would not consider it a failure other than in a bad market analysis. .mobi is a project that failed because of the smartphones. .biz is just bad, maybe even worse than the terrible .wtf.

There is always a need and demand for let's say deals or shop. Are they going to replace .com? Probably not but to say none of them are going to survive is what I find being wishful thinking adjusted after ones own investment. If people can use .net and .io they can use .club.

Last edited:
•••
And you actually laughed at my answer? I should do the same with yours but nah--I'm an actual professional. Take these:

1.) .pw has NOTHING to do with it. It's not a gTLD. It's a ccTLD. See here. We aren't even talking about them.

2.) "Failure" is defined in different ways. Profit vs usage is an argument ppl make. If a domain extension makes the registry money yet barely exists in the minds of the ppl, could you really call it a success? It depends on your criteria. Most wold agree that .info is a failure, but to each his own.

3.) .mobi did not "fail because of smartphones." It failed because PPL NEVER DEVELOPED THEM. Probably over 97% of all .mobi's were forwarded to the .com. Now, why is that? Easy: nobody care enough to develop a .mobi when they had the .com.

4.) .biz is just bad? Little one, you are talking through opinion. That's a point here: everyone has opinions. But .biz has a purpose/use. .wtf has no niche/purpose/reason. .biz, it could be argued, is better than .wtf. Yet .biz simply didn't catch on. It goes by #3 above: Unless ppl develop these, then they'll fall flat. There may be XXX,XXX registered of extension, but that holds no point: domainers own most, and they are held looking for buyers. They'll likely not be developed, thus they'll become .biz-caliber.

5.) Reread your sentence a few times: "If people can use .net and .io they can use .club." Now, look at the definition of can and will. Your argument shows that you are an amateur. Sure, they CAN. But does that mean they will? Just because a person could use a .net, they could use a .club? You lack point in your argument: CAN? lol Sure child, ppl can. But just because they CAN use a .club, does that mean they will? Your argument, even if you didn't intend it, is: Every extension can be used, thus they all will. Yep, tell this to .name portfolio owners...

The next time you wanna laugh at a professional, make sure he can't make you look like an idiot. lol

Haha :)

1. Just an example.

2. Who called it success? If I made millions running the .info would I care what people called it? Most the extension crush .com to be accepted?

3. Just leave out the factor that every mobile phone on the planet were supposed to have a .mobi button and then came the smartphones and ruined that plan.

4. Little one? LOL that's what a "professional" say sure, name calling aren't to be considered professional in any business I know. Yeah I expressed an opinion on a public forum big deal right. Comparing shit vs. shit.

5. Why should I defend .name wouldn't even reg one for $1. Call me all your want by the end of the day I make money on all extensions I ever bought (20-30 of them so far) and I'm just a few months old in this business. People called me an amateur too when I spent all my money in the stock market after the big dip in 2008.

Good luck with the name calling Mr."professional" :)

•••
We're talking about the general public. Just because you wouldn't pay $1 for a .name doesn't mean others wouldn't. And you can laugh at a comment but no one should laugh at yours? lol

To each his own, grasshopper :)

•••
I also think this extension is going to fail. Along with xyz and numerous other extensions which I think are absolutely pointless..

•••
maybe they promote as WHERE THE FUTURE

•••
I got a couple to be funny at the time, lolol.wtf and u81.wtf. Not sure if I will keep one but in my line of work a few totally deserve the emails.

•••
like most of the new extensions it will likely fail. For the long term best to stay with .com investments. Though some may get lucky with a sale here and there for new extensions it's a crap shoot.

•••
I totally agree that .WTF doesn't make any sense, but not all the new extensions are scrap and worthless.

Now experts talk about .co, .tv and .me are better than other ccTLDs but I still remember the expert comments when these domains were launched.

Its very hard for investors who has invested a hell lot of money in xxxxxxxxxx.com or xxx-xxxxx.com to accept that xxx.xxxx or xxxx.xxx or xxxxx.xx going to change the way people use internet.

For me, Country.Club looks better than CountryClub.com

But, for the owner of CountryClubs.com, Country-Club.com, CountyClub.com (Typo), CountryClub.Org, CountryClub.net, CountryClub.Co, Country.Club might look like a spam domain name.

Obviously, nobody gonna register CountryClub.dentist or CountryClub.diet or CountryClub.tips or CountryClub.ninja.

As of now, except hardcore domain investors, nobody knows about these new gTLDs and ccTLDs. When they get to know, all keyword domains would have been registered and you need to search for typo domains in .club as well.

This is internet real estate (Buy undeveloped, develop and sell it). Buy a good and meaningful domain, develop it, sell it after 5 years. Don't care about the experts.

Any good keyword with shorter easy to remember extension or good shorter keywords related to the extension will have a better future than all scrappy 10+ letters .COM domains.

•••
If .name, .info, .biz, .mobi etc. haven't found traction after all these years, I'm not sure how having hundreds of new extensions will change the way ppl browse. In fact, I believe they'll only make the .com much more desirable. Trying to tell the users, "You have to remember all these new extensions--no exception!" will hurt. ppl will simply look at what they know opposed to trying to learn hundreds of extensions. And even to this day, ppl would type in historyinfo.com before history.info -- the new extensions benefit .com owners with free traffic & the registry from sucking money out of noobs who actually reg these things. Registries win, investors lose

I totally agree that .WTF doesn't make any sense, but not all the new extensions are scrap and worthless.

Now experts talk about .co, .tv and .me are better than other ccTLDs but I still remember the expert comments when these domains were launched.

Its very hard for investors who has invested a hell lot of money in xxxxxxxxxx.com or xxx-xxxxx.com to accept that xxx.xxxx or xxxx.xxx or xxxxx.xx going to change the way people use internet.

For me, Country.Club looks better than CountryClub.com

But, for the owner of CountryClubs.com, Country-Club.com, CountyClub.com (Typo), CountryClub.Org, CountryClub.net, CountryClub.Co, Country.Club might look like a spam domain name.

Obviously, nobody gonna register CountryClub.dentist or CountryClub.diet or CountryClub.tips or CountryClub.ninja.

As of now, except hardcore domain investors, nobody knows about these new gTLDs and ccTLDs. When they get to know, all keyword domains would have been registered and you need to search for typo domains in .club as well.

This is internet real estate (Buy undeveloped, develop and sell it). Buy a good and meaningful domain, develop it, sell it after 5 years. Don't care about the experts.

Any good keyword with shorter easy to remember extension or good shorter keywords related to the extension will have a better future than all scrappy 10+ letters .COM domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back