IT.COM

advice What value does the amount of times searched add to a domain.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jonathan MacDermid

Socially CorporateEstablished Member
Impact
Hi there,

Can anyone suggest what type of value a highly searched term on google brings to a domain.

Example is that I have a domain available to buy that gets 10k-100k direct searches each month on google with high competition for the adwords (although only $0.60 suggested bid).

Is it worth buying the domain for $100+ or just paying for adwords? Are there a rule for when it does add value?

In this example the domain would be 4 words .com

Thank,

Jon

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Exact match domains can have direct type-in traffic (qualified leads) and when running Adword campaigns tend to have higher click through rates because they are what searches are looking for. A higher quality score brings down ad costs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quality_Score

•••
Welcome to NamePros.

To answer your question, please be advised that Google Keyword Planner is not your best friend when it comes to researching keywords and search competition. You may get an idea, but there's a difference in exactly knowing something and taking ideas.

Secondly, if it's a four word domain, it depends on the following:

1. Is the industry aggressive when it comes to online marketing? Or do they not care about websites and domain names.
2. Does the 4-word domain offer any benefit to the potential buyer (other than monthly searches)?

Personally, I wouldn't pay premium prices for 4-word domains. But if you want to test the waters, then start with hand registering few similar domains and then take the game to the next level based on your results.

My 2 cents.

•••
Thank you both for your thoughts.

•••
Trust is another factor when reaching potential online consumers. An authoritative domain can win over a consumer's trust. If you were looking for a home equity line of credit who would you feel more comfortable giving credit card, bank account or social security info to:

HomeLoans.com

Alberts-Cheap-N-Easy-Home-Loans.xyz

•••
Personally, I wouldn't pay premium prices for 4-word domains.
$100 isn’t “premium prices” but either the domain is valuable or it’s not.

Last edited:
•••
$100 isn’t “premium prices” but either the domain is valuable or it’s not.
I know it is not premium prices. I was more interested in whether the $100 is better spent on the domain or on adwords targeting the words. Thanks :)

•••
What I meant was, anything that isn't a hand regged is a premium price. A "domainer to domainer" talk, lol.

Enjoy.

•••
I think it is hard to give a firm answer, as it depends on the potential end-use buyers if your plans are to resell the domain name. For some end-users, Google search is of little or no importance, while to others it will matter.

If you are planning to develop the site yourself, and use it to generate Adsense or other ad revenue, then clearly high search is important.

Without knowing the domain name, it is hard to comment, but would agree with those who say that in general 4 word domains usually don't hold much premium value, if any.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!

•••
If you’re buying for resale if it’s worth buying for $10 it’s also worth buying for $100. Differentiating between those two figures for purposes of domaining is meaningless unless you’re a domainer who is for example happy buying for $10 and selling for $25.

I wouldn’t bother buying any domain that I didn’t think would resell for at least $500-$1000. That’s my definition here of “valuable” and it’s on the minimum scale of value.

•••
Back