IT.COM

What sort of scam would this be?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have had several of these emails recently, all the exact same wording, but from different email addresses:

"Hope you’re doing well,
Can you tell me if this domain is for sale and the price?"

Since the domains in questions are clearly listed on a brandable marketplace with all for-sale information and pricing, then why are am I getting these "enquiries"? It's obvious they haven't even called up the domain in question which would take them to the For Sale page.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, maybe they didnt even check. I dont think you will lose anything if you reply to them.

•••
I have had several of these emails recently, all the exact same wording, but from different email addresses:

"Hope you’re doing well,
Can you tell me if this domain is for sale and the price?"

Since the domains in questions are clearly listed on a brandable marketplace with all for-sale information and pricing, then why are am I getting these "enquiries"? It's obvious they haven't even called up the domain in question which would take them to the For Sale page.

May not be a scam but you will know right away, once they tell you they have an investor and needs an appraisal, then it is a scam.

•••
Yes, as equity 78 said, and with investor comes the appraisal certificate :)

•••
Different email addresses - to avoid being labeled as spam I guess / or some other stupid idea
Why you are getting those emails - coz they want the price?
Why contacting you directly and not via marketplaces - coz they want better price (w/o marketplace fees)

Who knows really - have you tried to respond?

•••
Yup, in each of the several cases I have responded politely with a link to the page on the brandable marketplace, explaining that any further offers or enquiries has to go through that marketplace. Department of No Surprise, I never seem to hear anything further and the names do not receive an initial offer from them.

I had figured that this might be the opening email in an appraisal scam.

•••
Yep, probably script spamming for who-knows-what, or an appraisal scam.

Care.

•••
It could be somebody trying to get a (binding) quote that is below the displayed asking price :)
It is also possible that the other party went straight to you as a result of checking the whois record.

Asking "is the domain for sale" is also a way to make sure the entry on your website is still current.
The likelihood is strong that you will be dealing with time wasters and tire kickers but I see no harm here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back