NameSilo

What should Godaddy change its name to!

Located in Reviews started by oldtimer, Feb 14, 2020.

Replies:
Views:

1. NameDeck

NameDeck SaveDotOrg.org VIP

Agreed. It's too nice a fit for any company anyway. A 'mere registrar' is totally unworthy a name of this magnitude.

As for the name GoDaddy, it beats Jomax Technologies as it was called before they shifted to GoDaddy. Decent rebrand at the time, in trend with what other internet companies were going for. Fun fact, the domain still points to GD.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. oldtimer

oldtimer Do some good for humanity and the environment VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

People you need to think more positively here,

2020 is the best time for Godaddy to change to a better and more politically correct name and while they are at it they might as well consider changing that new logo too which looks kind of awkward to many people.

As I have already said we are entering a new era of empowering the masses through domain names and websites and everyone needs to adjust to this new frontier and abandon the outdated mindsets that have been holding the World back from ascending to a higher level, whether it's racism or discrimination and intolerance that causes so much pain in people's lives or whether it's politically incorrect names such as GoDaddy that are a symbol of all that was wrong in the past, it's not too late to correct these mistakes.

IMO

3. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

Godaddy should change its name, but not for politically correct reasons...

Samer

4. Don Gondon

Don Gondon Established Member

Namepros law #372: any thread that lasts long enough is going to end being about Epik & Rob Monster.

5. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO ICA Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Are those really fair comparisons?

Brad

6. oldtimer

To the extent that they are the wrong mindsets that best left behind,

Yes

IMO

7. DOMAIN ILLUMINATI

DOMAIN ILLUMINATI Owner of ▲ the most expensive domain of all time.

GoDaddy.com
    should rename to
    InsteadOfOfferingTheExtensionDotTopWePreferToCreateBizarreLogos.com

8. Internet.Domains

Internet.Domains Top Contributor VIP

As a proud Daddy always on the Go, I am offended that someone is offended. (I am not really offended, just shocked).....Do I need to change my title in the family? Should the kids be told to call me something other than 'Daddy'? Why is 'Daddy' offensive, but not 'Mommy'?

Maybe both Daddy and Mommy should be called 'Parent'? That way we can keep sexism out of it and make it equal? All language is potentially offensive to the 'equality' generation.

I believe in respectful discourse and as a result there are some words that shouldn't be used, but this is way over the line. To the point of being completely absurd, but I did just read a news article about two male boys, calling themselves female, winning a running race in the female division. So who the hell knows what's going on in today's world.

9. Ryan217

Ryan217 NameBlitz Gold Account

Honestly I think it has more to do with being US based than age. Here is the US free speech is an important thing to the point where we have a constitutional amendment preventing our government from infringing on free speech.

Whereas you being in Germany there is understandably so a huge cultural implication to the holocaust. Personally I find it fascinating how ones culture can define what's normal and acceptable.

I believe wholeheartedly that the holocaust was absolutely horrible and evil. But I also believe that one should be able to speak freely. It's this free speech that allows me to label it as evil.

10. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO ICA Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

You are talking about events in history which millions and millions of people died vs branding of an internet company. I don't think something called GoDaddy is really comparable.

Brad

11. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Name change is a serious decision. Why would GD want to change it? They spent a lot of $$$ to promote it, at least to North American clients. The CEO, mr. Bhutani, is, to some extend, an employee (not an owner or sole founder) - he joined one day, he will leave on another day, but the company will still remain as a legal entity. So he is not necessary supposed to perform such a big change -

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., Aug. 1, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- GoDaddy (NYSE: GDDY) and its Board of Directors has named Aman Bhutani, previously President of Brand Expedia Group, as the company's new CEO, effective September 4th, 2019.

It may well be that some company will acquire GoDaddy someday, and would rebrand it as the result. But, for GD in its current situation the rebranding is not necessary optimal strategy. Imo.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  12. Internet.Domains

That's where you go wrong. The amount of people, globally, who view the holocaust as "harmless" is a fraction of a percentage. Most of the world finds it a horrific event in history.

We get your anger, we understand, but your constant "holocaust" rants are misguided around here. Give it up. Please.

13. Ryan217

I don't know that I would go as far as to say that, I think most people know it was not harmless and no comparison could change that.

But I do agree that the comparison is completely unreasonable. At this point its not even like comparing apples to oranges (they at least have something in common besides just existing), its more like comparing apples to styrofoam.

14. Internet.Domains

Is "Daddy" really one of those words? Just asking.

15. oldtimer

it's a symbol for the wrong mindsets of the past when used in the context of GoDaddy (GoPerson is more politically correct although not very brandable).

IMO

16. Internet.Domains

So we get a better understanding of your view.

What do you mean "it's a symbol for the wrong mindsets of the past"?

What do you propose would be a replacement for the word?

17. oldtimer

As I already mentioned GoPerson is more politically correct although not very brandable, perhaps maybe if it was All , or People instead of Daddy.

GoAll

or

GoPeople

IMO

18. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

You remind me of the guy who “Straw man” is too offensive and tried coin “Straw Figure” for the sake of gender equality. True story.

needless to say, “straw figure” never caught on “scarecrows” were are men, they should made female scarecrows, non-existent strawwomen, wouldnt be as offended.

Come on, @oldtimer!

Godaddy is not offensive, and it’s worst name.

Samer

19. Internet.Domains

Is it alright for kids to use the word when addressing their Male parent?

20. oldtimer

that's a personal choice.

Go + Daddy only empowers half the population, so the problem is the combination of the two words together being used as a brand by a global company.

IMO

21. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent Gold Account VIP Trusted Blogger

I doubt that anything we say will have any impact, but my personal preference would be for them try to secure from Disney the simple word Go which would be an awesome brand, incredibly powerful, and would tie into their long tradition of GD.

A less good option would be to take some word that implied their emphasis on small business digital empowerment, like empower, liftoff, rocket, story etc.

Another option, that seems increasingly popular, is to take a first name, but that would be problematic. What gender? What culture?

If their heart in the logo is intended, they might consider building on that in some way, but I don't think they should go for a two word, and without that it is hard.

A brandable word that is made up but suggestive might be the best. They have many great minds so I will not come up with one for them. Like incorporate go but in a made up word.

If they thought outside the .com box, they could purchase Go in many nice across the dot options like .world, .company, .ltd etc. for 5 figures.

Bob

22. Ryan217

:rolleyes: I would argue they don't empower anyone, but that has nothing to do with the name. Sometimes though a name is just a name. Gender is a thing so I really don't get this everything must be gender neutral sensitivity that is around. It would make no difference to me as a man if it were named GoMamma.

23. oldtimer

GoMamma would be equally wrong.

IMO

24. Ryan217

Equally as in not.

IMO neither is/would be wrong.

25. oldtimer

When it comes to empowerment you can't leave half the population out.

The only one who gets what I am saying here is @Bob Hawkes

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice