IT.COM

registrars What Registrar Besides GoDaddy Gives Best Aftermarket Coverage?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CDM

Established Member
Impact
Are there any other registrars besides GoDaddy where your domains can get equal to, or even close to, the same aftermarket coverage?

I think for this to be true, it would need to be a registrar where your for sale listings still show up in the GoDaddy registration search path, but I'm not sure if that exists. Isn't it only names at GD that can show up there?

I'm just so sick of GD's buggy interface that's barely functional half the time. It's excruciating. The only reasons I'm still there are that they have a veritable monopoly on the aftermarket and I believe I'd sell less domains elsewhere, and that I also have a good premier services account rep which is a big help.

There are so many other registrars that are a pleasure to use, it's unfortunate GD has always maintained a stranglehold on the aftermarket as that allows them to continue to get away with such a low-grade product like no one there seems to care (note to any GD employees reading this: you've had well more than a decade now to prove that statement wrong, so don't say it isn't so or get all offended. This has been going on a looooong time).

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Possible Dynadot but i am not sure

•••
nobody comes close but I would say sedo is next. Good luck dealing with sedo's ancient verification system. They should do what godaddy does and use email to verify.

•••
nobody comes close but I would say sedo is next. Good luck dealing with sedo's ancient verification system. They should do what godaddy does and use email to verify.

Rough night? I believe he was asking about registrars. :xf.wink:

My experience with Namebright has been good overall. Dynadot, Namesilo too.

Last edited:
•••
Are there any other registrars besides GoDaddy where your domains can get equal to, or even close to, the same aftermarket coverage?

I think for this to be true, it would need to be a registrar where your for sale listings still show up in the GoDaddy registration search path, but I'm not sure if that exists. Isn't it only names at GD that can show up there?

I'm just so sick of GD's buggy interface that's barely functional half the time. It's excruciating. The only reasons I'm still there are that they have a veritable monopoly on the aftermarket and I believe I'd sell less domains elsewhere, and that I also have a good premier services account rep which is a big help.

There are so many other registrars that are a pleasure to use, it's unfortunate GD has always maintained a stranglehold on the aftermarket as that allows them to continue to get away with such a low-grade product like no one there seems to care (note to any GD employees reading this: you've had well more than a decade now to prove that statement wrong, so don't say it isn't so or get all offended. This has been going on a looooong time).
Either I'm missing something, either you are. You are saying that a domain registered at godaddy will have better search results than a domain registered at namesilo or dynadot for example and listed with fixed price at afternic, so showing at godaddy as well? As a curiosity, how many domains did you sell directly through godaddy to end users without counting afternic and their network?

•••
As long as you keep your names at a registrar that works with Afternic fast transfer, you can have them show in the GoDaddy registration path using Afternic. You don't need to keep your domains at GoDaddy for that.

•••
Either I'm missing something, either you are. You are saying that a domain registered at godaddy will have better search results than a domain registered at namesilo or dynadot for example and listed with fixed price at afternic, so showing at godaddy as well? As a curiosity, how many domains did you sell directly through godaddy to end users without counting afternic and their network?

That's what I'm wanting to know. I'm not sure. Does a domain registered at any of Afternic partners, if listed through Afternic's fast transfer, also show up in the GoDaddy search path the same as it would if registered at GoDaddy? If that is true, that is great. That's what I want to know.

•••
As long as you keep your names at a registrar that works with Afternic fast transfer, you can have them show in the GoDaddy registration path using Afternic. You don't need to keep your domains at GoDaddy for that.
Thank you!

•••
As a curiosity, how many domains did you sell directly through godaddy to end users without counting afternic and their network?

How would one determine this?

•••
That's what I'm wanting to know. I'm not sure. Does a domain registered at any of Afternic partners, if listed through Afternic's fast transfer, also show up in the GoDaddy search path the same as it would if registered at GoDaddy? If that is true, that is great. That's what I want to know.

If you list a domain on Afternic and you can activate Fast Transfer it'll show up like this when you search for it on GoDaddy (regardless of where the domain is registered, either at GD or at another registrar):

Aft Fast.png

If you don't activate Fast Transfer for your Afternic-listed domains, they will show up like this on GD:

Aft NotFast.png

So all Afternic-listed domains certainly show up on GD, but Fast Transfer-enabled ones are a bit more likely to become impulse buys thanks to the Buy It Now button.

The Get It button leads buyers to a page where they can also make an offer -- might be confusing, or might make buyers think twice about the purchase.

Most well-known registrars offer the Afternic Fast Transfer option, so that's good.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Just transferred a swath of 20 recently acquired domains to Sav, first time not consolidating to GoDaddy in many years. It's a big step, but feels like a big relief, like an inner shift and sense of freedom that I no longer need to accept being chained to something that makes me miserable. GoDaddy has many other positive qualities but until they fix the mess they've created (which I also accept may never happen) I no longer have space for it. Feels like separation, only time will tell if they will make the wrongs right or if it will lead to a divorce, but I'm through trying to change them. Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback about aftermarket coverage.

•••
Last edited:
•••
I also choose not to use GD for a thousand reasons. Just FYI, GD has owned Afternic since 2013. They own dozens of companies.

•••
Last edited:
•••
So do you place all your domains on both Afternic FT AND Sedo MLS premium networks at the same time?
It certainly makes perfect sense, to have the best of both networks and maximize the chance of sales.

Yes, My domains are listed on...

Afternic MLS
Sedo MLS
Dan.com
Dynadot.com Market
Efty.com

Landing pages currently resolve on my own domain at Efty. Prices are set the same on Afternic, Sedo, Dan, Dynadot but I discount a little bit on Efty and my own sales landers as sales at those 2 points equals no 15-25% sales fees so the only fees will be payment processing depending where I send it Sedo, Dan, Escrow, EscrowDomains, Direct Wire to my business account etc...

•••
Yes, My domains are listed on...

Afternic MLS
Sedo MLS
Dan.com
Dynadot.com Market
Efty.com

Landing pages currently resolve on my own domain at Efty. Prices are set the same on Afternic, Sedo, Dan, Dynadot but I discount a little bit on Efty and my own sales landers as sales at those 2 points equals no 15-25% sales fees so the only fees will be payment processing depending where I send it Sedo, Dan, Escrow, EscrowDomains, Direct Wire to my business account etc...
Great! Thanks for sharing. As long as the marketplace immediately checks the registrar database for domain availability PRIOR to the buyer placing the purchase, that is the system that likely works best for domainers in general.

I've asked the question to AFternic, Sedo, and Dynadot about whether they have that double-check in their system. Why not allow domains s to be posted as BIN on multiple marketplaces at the same time? The marketplace, if it doesn't already do the immediate verification of availability, could likely implement such a check, and avoid any concerns of duplicate sales.

•••
Great! Thanks for sharing. As long as the marketplace immediately checks the registrar database for domain availability PRIOR to the buyer placing the purchase, that is the system that likely works best for domainers in general.

I've asked the question to AFternic, Sedo, and Dynadot about whether they have that double-check in their system. Why not allow domains s to be posted as BIN on multiple marketplaces at the same time? The marketplace, if it doesn't already do the immediate verification of availability, could likely implement such a check, and avoid any concerns of duplicate sales.

Quality Domains+Distribution definitely helps so being able to tap into both MLS is great. I think the odds of someone from Sedo MLS and Afternic MLS buying the same domain at the same time is pretty low especially since I'm not selling quick decision $999 domains. I price to where they need their partners permission first. :) If their isn't an availability check, I've never asked, then maybe don't use both if slow to update your domains. I'm kinda OCD organized so after a sale I'll delete the domain from all markets quicker than when I add new ones. In the unlikely event that a domain did sell twice within an hour on 2 networks I really doubt I'd get the boot as been using a good handful of these companies for decades so they've made some good commissions off me to understand a fluke.

Good question to ask though as there should be a live check before payment to avoid any issues with slow portfolio updating domainers if there isn't already.

•••
Quality Domains+Distribution definitely helps so being able to tap into both MLS is great. I think the odds of someone from Sedo MLS and Afternic MLS buying the same domain at the same time is pretty low especially since I'm not selling quick decision $999 domains. I price to where they need their partners permission first. :) If their isn't an availability check, I've never asked, then maybe don't use both if slow to update your domains. I'm kinda OCD organized so after a sale I'll delete the domain from all markets quicker than when I add new ones. In the unlikely event that a domain did sell twice within an hour on 2 networks I really doubt I'd get the boot as been using a good handful of these companies for decades so they've made some good commissions off me to understand a fluke.

Good question to ask though as there should be a live check before payment to avoid any issues with slow portfolio updating domainers if there isn't already.
FYI, not long ago I had a buyer try to purchase a domain through a partner registrar of Afternic, but the they must have abandoned the cart or there was a problem at checkout, so they then went and searched the domain at another registrar which was a Sedo partner and bought it there. However, since the domain had already been put in checkout at the other registrar AND because it was reg'd at GoDaddy, there was a hold put on the domain, which is common when they are trying to verify payment. The hold was released after 3 days, but in that time I was unable to provide the auth code for the sale at Sedo. Just an FYI since it's related to what you mentioned.

•••
FYI, not long ago I had a buyer try to purchase a domain through a partner registrar of Afternic, but the they must have abandoned the cart or there was a problem at checkout, so they then went and searched the domain at another registrar which was a Sedo partner and bought it there. However, since the domain had already been put in checkout at the other registrar AND because it was reg'd at GoDaddy, there was a hold put on the domain, which is common when they are trying to verify payment. The hold was released after 3 days, but in that time I was unable to provide the auth code for the sale at Sedo. Just an FYI since it's related to what you mentioned.
Whoa! Thanks for sharing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back