IT.COM

What Percentage Of Your Sales Are Handregs?

NameSilo
Watch
If you sell a decent amount of domains monthly (meaning make a living from it or it's a substantial part of your income), how much of your efforts involve a well thought-out handreg strategy vs combing drop lists or just value hunting? Keep in mind I'm talking about mostly .com domains here.

Do you have a go-to list in excel that you pair a cutting-edge buzzword with when you come across one? For example, the suffix "consulting" or "world" has many past sales. Whatever you pair those suffixes with, just by statistical analysis, has a higher chance of selling then say pairing with a suffix like "holistic" or "mega".

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
do handregs from 12 years ago, count too?

:)

•••
Good question. I'm interested in a lead time of a year or two. So that if you haven't had a sale of a handreg in say 9 months you'll look to spend the last three months of the first year or second year to sell it at a discount on platforms like a forum or ebay. So the key here is that whatever you handreg, you can at minimum recoup your reg costs.

Now, some domains that I have handregged I can see that it might take two or more years before the technology advances to the point that there will be active customers seeking said domain. But in general I'm thinking about quicker turn-arounds.

•••
My first five sales were hand-regged. None were .coms :)

Not saying major bucks, but all low to mid xxx. I'm not relying on domaining though by any means. It's purely a welcome supplementary activity for me.

Edit: They were also all within a year of regging. I'm less inclined these days though to hand reg. The whole landscape has changed since the new TLDs have arrived, for one. (We won't even mention China!)

Last edited:
•••
Two of my top all-time sales were handregs but one sold five years after I regged it. Those handregs were both 2008.

•••
I've had $53K of sales in the last 3.5 years , all handreg's except one which was a $69 Snapnames purchase :)

•••
I've had $53K of sales in the last 3.5 years , all handreg's except one which was a $69 Snapnames purchase :)
DId you find these handregs due to a prepared research strategy or was there more luck/randomness involved?

•••
Just hundreds of hours researching future trends and financial developments..

•••
Good question. I'm interested in a lead time of a year or two. So that if you haven't had a sale of a handreg in say 9 months you'll look to spend the last three months of the first year or second year to sell it at a discount on platforms like a forum or ebay. So the key here is that whatever you handreg, you can at minimum recoup your reg costs.

Now, some domains that I have handregged I can see that it might take two or more years before the technology advances to the point that there will be active customers seeking said domain. But in general I'm thinking about quicker turn-arounds.

Hi

your "lead time" of a year or two is comparable to "flippo" mentality, not investor mentality.

additionally, your conclusion that: if a sale isn't made within the second year, that one would seek discount platforms to liquidate such domains, is a fallacy... from an investors perspective.

that may be true for flippo's, but it's not an "sop" for those waiting for the right buyer.

still, for 2015, i sold two handregs from 10yrs ago on sedo and other sales were domains acquired from clubdrop, the predecessor to namejet and catches from snapnames.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back