IT.COM

poll What percentage of your portfolio is .COM?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What percentage of your domains are .COM?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • >90%

votes
    59.3%
  • 75-89%

votes
    11.6%
  • 60-74%

votes
    11.6%
  • 40-59%

votes
    4.7%
  • 26-39%

votes
    5.8%
  • 15-25%

vote
    1.2%
  • <15%

votes
    5.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Over the last couple years hundreds of new extensions have been launched and many domain investors have registered new TLD domains. .COM continues to be the one extension which generates more AFTERMARKET sales than any other single extension. Over the years I have let many domains expire even in .COM but am targeting to get my portfolio .COM percentage around 70%. Currently I am around 66%.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Early in my domaining career I had more .Nets than anything - at one point more than 600. I now have less than 100 .Net domains. Five years ago I had more .TV domains than any other TLD - close to 500 - now approaching 200. While I have had sales in .Net and .TV, my observation has been that only low-budget buyers go for the .Net so it isn't really worth it to hold them - except for truly exceptional names. With .TV the sales ratio is very low and the biggest challenge is the renewal cost - $28-$30 each gets real expensive after more than a few domains. Regardless, the namespace seems to have changed the last few years as buyers have more choices. It also seems the Spanish domain market is in a depression and that is where much of my portfolio lies. Five years ago I would get regular sales at SEDO and/or Godaddy but things have clearly changed - 15 million nTLD registrations has taken a lot of domain investor capital away from the domainer to domainer resale market.

•••
I would trust some nGTLDs.. especially the ones that have reasonable pricing. A nGTLD should cost either the same as a .com (or less), but also not too cheap (like .88 cents). It should have reasonable RENEWAL prices (again, around the cost of .com OR LESS). Avoid the dodgy new registries with insane prices on too many so-called "PREMIUM NAMES" (LOL). Also importantly, pick extensions that have generic and good uses.. like .work and perhaps .club. Avoid ones like .Horse and .Crap.

Finally, I personally feel like a good nGTLD will be between 2 - 4 characters long. Anything long than that, e.g: .Network, .Pictures, just seems to mute the point of nGTLDs to begin with, e.g: "SHORT! MEMORABLE! FIND THE NAME YOU REALLY WANT!"

•••
I have around 95% .COM domains.

•••
99.95%
Approx 7000 names, all .com except three. One .net, one .org, one .us.

•••
Presently 60%+ but I have diversified a lot in ccTLDs. No new extensions.

•••
I have a feeling this survey does not fairly represent the domaining community as there are way too many posts on the "what new TLD domain have you registered" thread to have so many respondents with 90% of their portfolio .COM

•••
About 35% - the rest spread (in descending order) between .org / info and some ccTLDs.

Niches work well in .org and I love geodomains in .info (and .org)

•••
85% .com
3% .org
1% .net
10% .us
1% others

•••
I only have .com and .ca

•••
90 % .top
9 % other new TLDs
1 % .com

•••
99.9% are the king of kings.

•••
Somehow, I don't think the new gTLD's will just go away, I think they're here to stay. This is of course a gamble but my portfolio reflects this belief. I'd rather be early and run the risks rather than be late and sorry;)

51.51% COMs here :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back