IT.COM

poll What percentage of domains do you renew?

NameSilo
Watch

What percentage of your domains do you renew yearly?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • 0%

votes
    4.8%
  • 1 - 10%

votes
    9.1%
  • 11 - 25%

votes
    7.2%
  • 26 - 50%

votes
    10.1%
  • 51% +

votes
    68.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Every year during expiry, what percentage of the domain names do you end up renewing?
Obviously, the numbers would scale as your portfolio size and renewal rate increase.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.COM: 100%
.GG : Anything that gets an offer.
.IO: 100%

•••
95%+.

There is no substitute for time when it comes to end user sales.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I renew about 90% of my portfolio each year, mainly because it is a high level dot com portfolio that produces results. It's smaller compared to the thousands of domain names some domainers have but it does well over the long run. Being small but tight for this domainer with a small business has been a successful formula. I hope everyone on this forum does well in this business, which takes years to develop.

•••
•••
•••
Still trimming some fat from my early days :xf.smile:
It's around 80% at the moment and I expect an increase next year.

•••
Feeling sad that there are votes for 0-50%. Hope they find other good ways of monetization.

•••
If you aren't renewing stuff that long, chances are you've got some questionable domains (not always true, but often)

•••
Normally 70-80%.

When I sell more, maybe up to 90%...

P.s. Many new gTLDs are sold REALLY cheap the first year, but have high renewal fees. Some of those gets dropped. I rarely drop .com's or .org's.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm being ruthless with domain renewals this year. Max 25% .com renewals

Web3 is making waves off the back of the massive growth in NFT's and it's clear the DWeb is gaining traction. I'll be shifting those saved renewal fee's into .eth domains.

•••
35% this year ..20-30% next year

•••
•••
About 85%. But choosing domains more carefully and using more research to analyze traffic, CPC, etc. so percentage keeps increasing.

•••
•••
•••
.COM: 100%
.GG : Anything that gets an offer.
.IO: 100%
That's a big deal! You must be really holding some good names or super confident about your investment, which is a big thing!
.GG - I do not have any idea.
.IO - Isn't it like $30 renewals?

Feeling sad that there are votes for 0-50%. Hope they find other good ways of monetization.
I think some of these could be extensions like .CO which come very cheap in year 1 but very high in year 2 and so on. The business models in these strategies would differ.

If you aren't renewing stuff that long, chances are you've got some questionable domains (not always true, but often)
The business model could be quick flip names kind of business which is less sustainable but produces instant results. Better for newbies I would say, with little capital who want to scale

•••
I renew around 90% of .COM domains followed by .ORG, .NET, .CO.
Around 50% of cool popular ccTLDs.
and 20-25% of new TLDs including .store, .xyz, .online, .top

had registered few .ooo but renewed zero. crap.

•••
•••
One stage i had 200+ plus domains, now i have around 25, I'm hoping to take that down even more.

I've made a few hand reg sales over the years, which probably paid for hand-reg mistakes i made, but yeah other than that, I've dropped all the rest.

My ultimate aim is get rid of everything and cut my domains list to around 2 to 3 ultra-premium single word .com's, sell one put some money away, buy another to replace the one sold and just keep doing that.

Last edited:
•••
I would say about 80% I only renew .com or .org unless a different extension has had offers. To Renew a .io would need to be a premium single word 30 dollar renewal adds up quickly. I only have one .net on the fence about keeping it. Probably 70 - 75% of my portfolio is .com I only have about 35 names. I hardly hand reg anymore unless it's a drop I've been watching.

•••
I've been clearing out the clutter of any domain names that don't have enough keyword volume. What's left is around 65 names on different platforms 80% of which are in live development. I have completely stopped trying to sell undeveloped domain names and removed them from all the marketplaces. One of my development projects is not-for-profit it's purely to help others experiencing hard times. If that one developed domain is successful and all the others fail I'll be happy.

•••
•••
99% , It depend of the quality .

•••
Back