IT.COM

discuss What makes for a good brandable domain ? Showcase your brandables here

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

oldtimer

SaveThyWorld.com Let's not leave anyone behindTop Member
Impact
With thousands of startups needing a name for their new company and many more existing businesses also branching out all the time and needing names for their new line of products and services it seems that brandable domains is one of the areas that could be very beneficial to domainers both old and new and deserves to be explored further.

Below are a few points of discussion to get this thread started, if I have left something important out please let me know so that it can be added to them. If you have any tips or advice about brandable domains please feel free to share them with the rest of us.

1-What is a brandable domain.

2-How many different types of brandable domains are there and is one type better than the others.

3-What makes a brandable domain stand out amongst thousands of others.

4-What is the optimum length for a brandable domain, how long can a brandable domain be and still qualify as being a good choice.

5-What types of brandable domains are most desired by startups and existing businesses.

6-What is the best way to find brandable domains.

7-What is the best way to sell brandable domains.

Attention Newbies: It's probably best to first hear what some of the more experienced domainers have to say about this subject before you consider getting any domains, and even then it's probably best to experiment with just a few domains at a time. You should be able to sell one domain and then use the proceeds from that sale to get more domains, if you cannot even sell one domain then you are doing something wrong and need to adjust your strategy. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree Havela, and its the last kind of name to try to contact buyers of. If someone went and bought a unique domain from Gifted that was a brandable for their business why would they want another name ?

Its not like someone reads Dn Journal and sees some end user purchased LasVegasWedding.com for $5,000 and they have the plural LasVegasWeddings, that buyer may be interested in having both, its sensible for their business. But if the buyer bought Fooza from Gifted, emailing them and saying I have Goofa.com makes no sense. Their name is one of a kind.

Thanks for sharing Gifted and I think many will follow and not list any sales.

•••
In my opinion contacting end-users for your brandable domains especially those that are general and non specific in nature is a waste of time, the best chance of making a sale is for your domains to be included in the already established and famous websites that cater to the start ups and existing businesses.

•••
I agree Havela, and its the last kind of name to try to contact buyers of.

some people are just totally dumb. it has nothing to do with being a newbie or not. they are just DUMB. even after years, they don't understand how things work. even if you explain it 100 times. thats why they just copy and spam and think it will somehow work instead of being creative and original.

•••
posting sales or not we all get spammed, every week it seems I get jerk off's trying to sell me alternatives to my names (some I don't even own anymore) that they don't even own themselves. one person ask if I wanted to buy a similar name that was still available for reg., lol

•••
one person ask if I wanted to buy a similar name that was still available for reg., lol

Haha I've had that happen too.

•••
what do u think about taking a chance to reg 2 - 3 syllable brandable domains that have a word that is not complete so it shares a letter?

example:

righturn

instead of

rightturn

not sure how bb namerif, etc like them or not??

:?:zzz:

•••
what do u think about taking a chance to reg 2 - 3 syllable brandable domains that have a word that is not complete so it shares a letter?

example:

righturn

instead of

rightturn

creates confusion and would lose traffic to the correctly spelt sites

•••

example:

righturn

instead of

rightturn

Rookie domainer mistake. No legit business would use a mispelled word unless it was a super brandable and recognized word.

•••

example:

righturn

instead of

rightturn

As others have said, it could cause confusion and lost customers going to the correctly spelled site. If you were going to try this approach, I would recommend getting BOTH versions.

The one that comes to mind is DirecTV -- the correct spelling forwards to the branded spelling...

•••
As others have said, it could cause confusion and lost customers going to the correctly spelled site. If you were going to try this approach, I would recommend getting BOTH versions.

The one that comes to mind is DirecTV -- the correct spelling forwards to the branded spelling...

Do you really think brand bucket would take on both versions ?

•••
Rookie domainer mistake. No legit business would use a mispelled word unless it was a super brandable and recognized word.

hmmm......alot of brandables are misspelled anyhow

•••
hmmm......alot of brandables are misspelled anyhow

If you are choosing a name for your own company perhaps you can afford to be a little creative, but if you want a name for resale then you should pay close attention to the criteria that the domains that are being accepted on the brandable sales venues fall under. Although the process of selecting the best brandable domains is somewhat subjective and you might ultimately be able to find a buyer for almost any name on your own, but some names are probably going to be easier to sell then others as you can see when studying the past sales at BrandBucket and other similar venues that make their stats public. But keep in mind that this is just my opinion based on what I have learned myself so far, you need to do your own research.

By the way just picked up B,e,a,u,t,i,f,y,B,e,t,t,e,r [com]

Do you all think it makes a good brandable domain, I know it's at the very least a good call to action domain.

Last edited:
•••
I think its not good.

Its an odd mix of two type of brandable names ("ify" ending on side + two word brandable) making it toooo fancy, just doesn't sound right. I would suggest either trying something with a single root word (beauty) with a brandable ending, etc. or go for a keyword-brandable type of name (Like BeautyBox or something).
Or cool sounding mixture of two names.
For instance i have B.e.a.u.t.i.c.o.o.l at BB.
(mix of beautiful and cool).
since "ful" and "cool" have the same sound, plus the two words also somehow match together, it just sounds good (imo)

But as you said, who knows, its all subjective.
Maybe even BB will accept this.
I wouldn't.
Hope you don't mind :)

•••
I think its not good.

Its an odd mix of two type of brandable names ("ify" ending on side + two word brandable) making it toooo fancy, just doesn't sound right. I would suggest either trying something with a single root word (beauty) with a brandable ending, etc. or go for a keyword-brandable type of name (Like BeautyBox or something).
Or cool sounding mixture of two names.
For instance i have B.e.a.u.t.i.c.o.o.l at BB.
(mix of beautiful and cool).
since "ful" and "cool" have the same sound, plus the two words also somehow match together, it just sounds good (imo)

But as you said, who knows, its all subjective.
Maybe even BB will accept this.
I wouldn't.
Hope you don't mind :)

Thanks Gifted for your opinion, I wasn't that sure about it myself, that's why I asked.

Just submitted it to BrandBucket so we'll see if it might have some hidden qualities that could help get it accepted.

•••
Just finished reading through all the posts here. Great thread! I only have a couple brandable domains... or at least I think they are. lol

Where do you guys sell the brandables? Just on reg marketplaces like GoDaddy Auctions, Sedo.. or do you have a different place, different method for selling these?

Thanks!

Last edited:
•••
try Brandbucket or Namerific

•••
Thanks. I'll take a look at submitting mine there. Any other places or methods for selling brandables?

•••
Thanks. I'll take a look at submitting mine there. Any other places or methods for selling brandables?

If so ...not well known at this point

•••
Here are some that sold this week and it shows all kinds of domains sell.

Mooons.com with the extra "O" $5,400
MobAdz.com Mobile Ad play 5,750 GBP or $8713
Xyne.com $4,000
Syng.com $2,950
Opinionz.com using the Z interesting Zane from Namerific told me they don't like the Z for an S and don't accept them. 1645 Euros.
ShinySoft.com the Two Word starting with same letter niche $1495
Pixsie.com $1277
Punku.com $900
Bui.LT Domain Hack $899

•••

Xyne.com $4,000
Syng.com $2,950
Opinionz.com using the Z interesting Zane from Namerific told me they don't like the Z for an S and don't accept them. 1645 Euros.
Pixsie.com $1277
Punku.com $900
Bui.LT Domain Hack $899

great news!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats to all the sellers!!!!!!!!!

•••

Xyne.com $4,000
Syng.com $2,950
Pixsie.com $1277
Punku.com $900
Bui.LT Domain Hack $899

Where did this domain sell? I thought BB and namerific only accept .com

•••
Just listed a dozen brandables at namerific. Worth a shot.

•••
Texst.com
Zezos.com
Thabe.com
Jonds.com
Stamd.com
Blewb.com
Fecee.com
Pherl.com
Nanth.com
Doows.com
Foped.com
Swirs.com
Belpe.com
Qeans.com
Whabe.com
Bamge.com
MomZu.com

All listed at eBay, 0.99 with no reserve with the link in my sig.

Although I just re-registered Momzu.com, I had been offered $300.00 on Sedo several years ago and turned it down. Whoopsie...

God Bless,
Marcia

•••
just proves it is hard to predict sales and values

•••
•••
Back