IT.COM

What kind of domainer are you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jman92

keep grindingTop Member
Impact
Hey guys, I am a newbie in the business and I was wondering what everyone's way of buying and selling domains is. Are you the researcher type or more of a gut feeling type? or are there other ways you go about doing this business?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A very bad one heh heh.

Good luck with it. Make sure you do a lot of research -- here is a great place to start ;)

Best,
Paul

•••
Everyone loves to do a business in own way. If I'm talking about me, I first research about the latest trends in the market and then registered the domains. Quantity is totally depends on my budget :D

•••
I think go with a lot of research as well as gut feel on the brand-ability of a domain. Along with a healthy dose of common sense :)

•••
A .top domainer ;)

Just one goal - the top!

•••
•••
•••
•••
I am the "all over the place" kind of domainer.

I started off registering a bunch of crap, got rid of most of that and started focussing more on end users.
I focus on 2 things:
- .nl or NL keyword .com/.be/.eu (I am from the netherlands and there is a weekly domain auction at an auction house which gives me some seed money now and then
- .com Geo domains (ie roofersdublin.com)

However, with the netfirms and dotster sales I regged a bunch of brandables, submitted to BrandBucket and I have a lot of fun with those (also with selling the rejects at bargain prices)
Today I couldn't resist picking up a few .xyz's for $ 0.01 a piece
Tomorrow I can enter an auction for a domain I like, with hardly any research.

I can tell you this method is not the best money-making method, but I do this part-time, I covered my cost and I have a lot of fun and from time to time a nice sale.

I have learnt to be careful with spending more than reg fee/closeouts. You can easily lose $100 on bad judgement of 1 domain name.

•••
I am the "all over the place" kind of domainer.

I started off registering a bunch of crap, got rid of most of that and started focussing more on end users.
I focus on 2 things:
- .nl or NL keyword .com/.be/.eu (I am from the netherlands and there is a weekly domain auction at an auction house which gives me some seed money now and then
- .com Geo domains (ie roofersdublin.com)

However, with the netfirms and dotster sales I regged a bunch of brandables, submitted to BrandBucket and I have a lot of fun with those (also with selling the rejects at bargain prices)
Today I couldn't resist picking up a few .xyz's for $ 0.01 a piece
Tomorrow I can enter an auction for a domain I like, with hardly any research.

I can tell you this method is not the best money-making method, but I do this part-time, I covered my cost and I have a lot of fun and from time to time a nice sale.

I have learnt to be careful with spending more than reg fee/closeouts. You can easily lose $100 on bad judgement of 1 domain name.
Thank you for the through explanation. One question. Do you think the godaddy auction is a good market place to buy domains cheap? if not what websites should i use to buy domains dirt cheap and turn them in to profits.

•••
Hey guys, I am a newbie in the business and I was wondering what everyone's way of buying and selling domains is. Are you the researcher type or more of a gut feeling type? or are there other ways you go about doing this business?

A "Gut researcher".

•••
•••
Mostly gut as data isn't always going to prove value ie brandable domains. Everyone has thier own unique way of defining what makes a name valuable and that comes with experience.

•••
•••
Do you think the godaddy auction is a good market place to buy domains cheap

Yes. But you'll have to spend hours finding them. There is some hidden treasure to be found there if you have the time.

Best,
Paul

•••
I prefer to rely on data, facts and research. I think this is very important if you want to do this as you full-time job. Otherwise, the risk of failing is huge.

But, like most domainers I need to gamble from time to time. Two examples:

1. I bought a lot of .XYZ at release = Happen to be a success as I've sold 20% of them already.

2. I bought a lot of .ORG LLLL-chips for 15-35 bucks each = Happen to be more of a fail (at least for now). I have sold some of them, but not for the money I was expecting (or had hoped for).

Ps. The better you get in this game, the more you can rely on your own gut / thoughts, as they will be based on your experience of data and your knowledge of what is selling and what is not.

Last edited:
•••
Back