Dynadot

What is your portfolio's yearly renewal fees?

NameSilo
Watch

What is your yearly renewal cost for your portfolio?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • $0-$100

votes
    7.5%
  • $100-$500

votes
    15.0%
  • $501-$1,000

votes
    17.5%
  • $1,001-$5,000

votes
    27.5%
  • $5,001-$10,000

votes
    15.0%
  • $10,001-$15,000

votes
    3.8%
  • $15,001-$20,000

votes
    5.0%
  • $20,001-$30,000

votes
    7.5%
  • $30,001-$50,000

votes
    0.0%
  • $50,000+

vote
    1.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

I've seen other posts regarding the total number of domains in your portfolio, total sales, etc.; however, I have not seen one regarding what people's renewal fees are per year for their portfolio.

Assuming you need to renew every domain in your portfolio, what would be your TOTAL renewal cost? Keep in mind the different extensions you have and adjust your calculations accordingly.

EDIT: If you are looking for an easy tool to break down your portfolio per extension, go to http://www.midano.com/domainInventory.asp and paste in your portfolio. You will get a break down of all of your domains based on extension and you can calculate accordingly.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
An interesting slant this, one that does reflect long term involvement of the domainer. Assuming that all are renewed (unlikely - we have all reg'd domains that later we wonder why) the cost has to be taken as a financial base line of the business projection.

Congrats on coming up with such a slant rather than the norm of how many you own/sold, etc..

•••
Those renewal fees realy start to add up as your portfolio grows. I have about 200 names now and average just under 9 each a year so I am looking at about $1800 ... make about $720 a year parking so it is costing me over 1k to keep the names I am betting will make me some dough later on. Selling one once in awhile usally covers it so i can't complain. But i see NP'ers with hundreds of names that most likley won't sell anytime soon and think ,,wow thats a big bill for a bet.

•••
Maybe I should have written the poll slightly differently... Maybe I should have asked how much money you shovel into ICANN's hands each year.

•••
I'm looking at just under 8k in renewal fees

•••
I don't have an actual figure, but estimating based on how many names I have registered, how many are ccTLDs that cost considerably more than .com to renew, I'm probably over $10k.

That's what most newbies don't realize. It's not just about making sales to get to profits...some domainers I'm sure are making sales to come close to breaking even! But yea, that's why I'm moving towards dealing with high quality names only...less names to renew, more interest in each name overall...just a matter of getting buyer's and seller's price to meet and finding people/companies with the money to pay a lot for a name.

•••
Yea i own aproximately 25 names, and i should pay about $300/yr for renewals. I am trying to buy more traffic+ revenue names, and keep my best speculative names so that the revenue names can pay for themselves, and the speculative names will hopefully be worth it when a sale occurs, if that happens.

•••
I'm just starting out. I own about 10 domains, so it's not expensive. Hopefully it will be soon though. :)

•••
I was looking at Genes and NameTraders Renewals and got scared :laugh:

I reduced my portfolio down a Huge amount about a year back , But am still looking at 2,500$ +/- (Thats allowing for reseller discounts etc ...)

Some of the cctld's really hurt :'(

•••
i havent followed my own rhetoric and stop grabbing names. now for the first year of renews at my current reg rate i schould be at about 3-5k

•••
Mark said:
I was looking at Genes and NameTraders Renewals and got scared :laugh:

I reduced my portfolio down a Huge amount about a year back , But am still looking at 2,500$ +/- (Thats allowing for reseller discounts etc ...)

Some of the cctld's really hurt :'(

I too and trying to trim down the portfolio. The problem with the ccTLDs, especially the ones I have, is that it's not feasible to let them go or really even to liquidate them because I'm highly confident in their value whether or not I've gotten the bids to show it, BUT on .md names for instance, $150/yr stings like crazy!

•••
As it seems I'm renewing something almost daily, not as bad as I thought - about 2.5k. However over the next 2 years as my 150+ .mobis start joining the 'renewal club', that should add another 1.5k+ to ICANN. Managable for now.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Just over 22K last year, but the whole Registerfly BS(had about 470 there) will bump that up an additional few $$$$ this year due to "over charges" and catching drops of failed renewals. :red:

My accountant shakes her head every year. D-: :kickass:

•••
Damn D-: Some scary figures there eh - I feel much much better now :hehe:

I would think (although I would rather not) that my renewals must be in the $1000 to $1500 range.

I've been much more ruthless lately at renewal time and have recently dropped alot of .info's that I got for cheap even though I liked them - I intend to focus on 99% .coms and try not to get too attached to all of them :blink:

Time to reduce the amount of domains I have - I would'nt fancy owning 2500 domains at all, it must be a time/money consuming nightmare with all those renewals.

•••
Around 1,5k$ as well here. The ctlds are taking a big part of it..

•••
Finally finished adding mine up and I'm at ~$5,750 (estimated for this year). I'm slowly trying to widdle down my portfolio to save on regfees.

Last edited:
•••
Well, now that I've been in this for about 2 years.. I'm gonna say .. too damn much. LOL

I guess I just need to push harder and make those sales. Well pushing any at all would be good right 'bout now. I've kinda taken a break but am getting back into it..since I'm paying all these renewal fees. :)

I'm counting on my 4L.coms to pay out in the end.. :) :) :)

•••
How much? Too much but it's a cost of doing business - aka - a business expense - aka - a write-off. Voila - no big deal. :)

•••
I know at least a few people at NP have that renewal costs of $30k plus. Where are you guys at?

•••
fonzie_007 said:
I know at least a few people at NP have that renewal costs of $30k plus. Where are you guys at?

I bet one of our newest members has one Hell of a renewal bill :blink:

•••
Me, I started domaining late in January this year. And when I calculated, I will have 1.8k per year.. too much. but I am confident in the quality of my names. Yet...

•••
Mine should only be about $300 but then again I only just started out in the domain business. I doubt I'll renew many of my current names either.

•••
Mark said:
I bet one of our newest members has one Hell of a renewal bill :blink:
Somewhere in the area of ~$450k...

•••
A lot of money. Too much to consider or believe.

•••
Back