IT.COM

discuss What is your opinion in xyz extension?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainsg

Established Member
Impact
what is your opinion in xyz extension?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think the idea behind .xyz is that those letters are the last letters of the alphabet so it's natural to end a string like that.

•••
No I don't, as I already noted - what does .com, .net, .org, .io, .me,.. etc. stand for or mean? And yeah, we know what they were 'supposed' to mean or stand for, but no one uses or buys them for their 'intended' meanings

Ok so I guess this is a question that could have no answer? I kinda answered it already with the meaning and what most companies use them for. No one buys them or uses them for their intended meaning?

Organizations and charities usually buy .orgs...or am I crazy? Tech niches love to get .nets.

Regarding buying them for their intended meaning, yes domainers usually buy something that know would have BUSINESS value to a company. A domainer WILL buy a .ORG if it makes sense for a organization or if it a MONSTER keyword term that is popular to the masses.

And the first 2-3 years of the existance of .com, .net, .org you didn't see them advertised on billboards or commercials. Your point being??

Well, I may be wrong on this but this wasn't the first push of GTLD's coming into the market. Haven't they been around for a few years now? If they have been around for years (more than 2-3) than I think I win this section of the debate.

But they (businesses) 'again' are not buying or using .com for what it means (commercial), but because it's (at this time) the more popular extension.

So my point still stands, that legacy extensions are not bought/used for what they 'mean', but because they are more 'known'.

Yes, I actually agree with you on this one. They buy what everyone else knows (their customers/the market) and wants which is .com. I think you are trying to say .xyz or many of the other gtld extensions have the potential to overtake .com. If that's your view on it then that is totally cool but I can't agree with that.

•••
No one buys them or uses them for their intended meaning?

Organizations and charities usually buy .orgs...or am I crazy? Tech niches love to get .nets.
Do you not read before you reply? I noted - but no one uses or buys them for their 'intended' meanings (except maybe by a 'very' few). And if you check site: .org, or site: .net, you'll be amazed (well..maybe not) how many are not being used by organizations or techies. So why then are they being used if not for their 'intended' meanings????

Well, I may be wrong on this but this wasn't the first push of GTLD's coming into the market. Haven't they been around for a few years now? If they have been around for years (more than 2-3) than I think I win this section of the debate.
Uhh... HUH?? And no, you don't.

I think you are trying to say .xyz or many of the other gtld extensions have the potential to overtake .com. If that's your view on it then that is totally cool but I can't agree with that.
Again, don't you read? I never said or implied this, so where you get or come up with this..is perplexing.

My reply to this was related to your, and many others, notation that the extension has to 'mean' something. I was simply pointing out that people do not buy/use various extensions for their meaning. Point in case your reply -
A domainer WILL buy a .ORG if it makes sense for a organization or if it a MONSTER keyword term that is popular to the masses.
They are not buying the domain for the 'intended' use/meaning of the extension, but for the keyword. I'm pretty sure Loans.org and Shoes.org, are not 'organizations' but are businesses!!

•••
Ok. You're right. .xyz is king.

You win.

-Omar

•••
•••
never said or implied that, but again you keep distorting things.

whatever.

All I'm saying is, my opinion on .xyz is that I am not high on it for various reasons. It doesn't mean anything to the market yet.

Maybe in a few years, this will change. Let's save this thread and come back in a few years to see if that changes.

-Omar

•••
My point is .com came first, ruled the web.

EXACTLY
And if .xyz were the first extension, then .xyz would rule the web.
And if
.top were the first...
TIME is factor one in SPACE (at least for a time haha).
So no wonder - what to choose when (nearly) nothing other exists?

But as we know time also can turn things - so I would never exclude that even .com can be overtaken by another certain extension* in (relative long) fewwwture.
Yes.
*Of course I dont know it but I believe rather from .top than from .xyz - although .xyz is currently on top at registrations (which means not all of course) - from the 'same' reason (time) - .xyz is about a half year longer available than .top

My personal 'analysis' of .xyz referring to .top:
Naming a TLD .xyz* is ingenious - but naming it .top* is much more ingenious in my view.
Reason/s:
Symbolic meaning of .xyz
horizontal 'end' (of the 'horizontal line' = the alphabet = your content ends 'perfect' with .xyz
Symbolic meaning of .top
vertical
'end' (of the 'vertical line' = the wish to be on the top of x = your content 'ends perfect at (the) .top'

Last edited:
•••
Name Administration (Frank Schilling's company) owns more than 251 thousand domains (source Domaintools Whois)
.COM 227k
.Net 23k
.Org 0.9k
.Info 0.1k
XYZ only 1 Uniregistry

The largest domain investor on the planet HugeDomains.com owns more than 2.0 million domains

.COM more than 2.0 million
.Net 10k
.Info only 1
.Org only 3
.XYZ NONE

Why do two of the largest players in the industry have so many .COM domains and so few nTLDs (other than FS's TLDs held in reserve)?

•••
Name Administration (Frank Schilling's company) owns more than 251 thousand domains (source Domaintools Whois)
.COM 227k
.Net 23k
.Org 0.9k
.Info 0.1k
XYZ only 1 Uniregistry

The largest domain investor on the planet HugeDomains.com owns more than 2.0 million domains

.COM more than 2.0 million
.Net 10k
.Info only 1
.Org only 3
.XYZ NONE

Why do two of the largest players in the industry have so many .COM domains and so few nTLDs (other than FS's TLDs held in reserve)?

:)

•••
What is your opinion in xyz extension? Trash.

It is hard to have an unlimited amount of less than $1 registrations and get any widespread,
meaningful end user development. The lower the fees the more spams and scams there will be.

Brad

•••

Timing, and most obviously because they want to keep it that way, why allow something new to come and hinder your current investment when almost everything you are investing in is one extension, .com. Why invest in another extension, especially an extension that is being billed as an alternative to .com.

•••
Xyz IMO is simply an extension that's used as an introductory low cost method to attract new domainers into the industry worldwide and that leads them to spend loads more on other extensions once they are into the domaining niche.

Why people constantly debate com & xyz is ridiculous! Move on cause com will always be number 1 period .

•••
It's time to resign.xyz for new gtld words combination

•••
Its just like a .com.
If xyz started as an extension before .com, everyone would say .com as spam now.

My point is .com came first, ruled the web.
Xyz entered the boat lately, we should wait and see.

Couldnt agree more with you :)

•••
Well to look at an extension this way, what does .com, .net, .org, .io, .me,.. etc. stand for or mean? And yeah, we know what they were 'supposed' to mean or stand for, but no one uses or buys them for their 'intended' meanings (except maybe by a 'very' few). So other than the new gTLDs that are actually words, 98% of legacy extensions are not used for their meanings or for making sense, they're just established and already known by the masses as an 'extension'. Extensions only really mean something to domainers, who want to trade in them, and that boils down to only caring about the most popular and coveted ones, not to what they mean.

I'll respectfully have to disagree with you mate.

Yes, the majority of the extensions didn't had any known meaning to end-users back then, but that's definitely not the case right now. Now people and businesses are Internet literate and know what fits best for their businesses when it comes to the online presence.

Secondly, back then it was the birth of the Internet, so for people, everything was interesting about the it. But when the audience matured about domains and the whole Internet thingy, we are now even seeing companies using .IO extensions and even .XYZ this year. So basically it's not what it actually 'means', what matters is 'does it make sense to their business or to the product it (the domain) will be used with'. Google's Alphabet domain is a perfect example of it (abc.xyz).

Thirdly, us domainers can easily still flip .com, .net, .org, even .us to end-users but I haven't seen any noted .xyz sales from fellow domainers here (other than few at namebio), even when people are buying .xyz like crazy and making it in the news every now and then. So like I said, it's about the sense a domain extension adds to a business, it's has nothing to do with the fame or popularity of domain extensions, at least not in 2015 and onward.

Accepting that .xyz does have a little charm in it, but it has limited audience/usage (end users that is), and just by becoming a hot extension for few reasons, this extension won't be replacing .com ever.

Just my 2 cents of course.

•••
I'm expecting that the worth something, I bought very good names...

•••
A real estate agency near where I live has a four-keyword triple-hyphenated domain with two words which are abbreviated. Perhaps the ideal domain for them would be

PalmBeachRealEstate.com
WestPalmBeachRealEstate.com
WPBRE.com

or something similar. Of course the best choices were taken and they obviously place no value on branding using a domain name. But they did not choose a .Net or .Info or any nTLD. If you want a domain for your business, what is your decision-making process? Of course the most logical .COM domains are taken. Ditto for the best .Net domains. What is your third choice? How far down the list of keywords, brandables and available TLDs do you go before selecting a .XYZ? Then if the XYZ is taken along with all possible keyword combinations in dozens of extensions, are you going to actually pay a premium for a .XYZ?

The key selling point of the new TLDs was keyword availability. Now that speculators are grabbing every possible combination even in crap extensions, where are end users going to revert back to?

•••
.xyz I really like this much better then .moe

There I said something nice about .xyz :laugh:

•••
here mine

daggers.xyz
betinlasvegas.xyz
betinvegas.xyz
bjcn88.xyz
bjcn888.xyz
calltome.xyz
changecash.xyz
daggers.xyz
deliverynow.xyz
dollarfast.xyz
earncash.xyz
eurofast.xyz
findalove.xyz
helpchildren.xyz
inyourhouse.xyz
poundfast.xyz
showmethemoney.xyz
traveltobrazil.xyz
traveltocaribe.xyz
traveltolasvegas.xyz
traveltolosangeles.xyz
traveltomiami.xyz
traveltonewyork.xyz
traveltousa.xyz
washcar.xyz
winlottery.xyz
wondertravel.xyz
yourwishlist.xyz

•••
thank you everyone
and those who think .xyz is a spam...what do you think about the latest sales?
you cant ignore that there are alot of sales lately in .xyz check namebio.com

however i dont have any xyz domain right now but i am thinking of investing in it.
There are many new extension out there. Some are good and some are worthless; repeated. ( Example: .biz & .business ). I think the newer TDN that make sense are the valuable; and will eventually increase the value. .xyz is short extension, aiming to new generation. Generation, from trend tech and xx & xy generations. You will get my idea. I have few .xyz & .club.. I only invest name that aren't used much..

•••
It means that your pants are unzipped.

Seriously, though, I like it BECAUSE it doesn't mean anything.
Silly :)

•••
here mine

daggers.xyz
betinlasvegas.xyz
betinvegas.xyz
bjcn88.xyz
bjcn888.xyz
calltome.xyz
changecash.xyz
daggers.xyz
deliverynow.xyz
dollarfast.xyz
earncash.xyz
eurofast.xyz
findalove.xyz
helpchildren.xyz
inyourhouse.xyz
poundfast.xyz
showmethemoney.xyz
traveltobrazil.xyz
traveltocaribe.xyz
traveltolasvegas.xyz
traveltolosangeles.xyz
traveltomiami.xyz
traveltonewyork.xyz
traveltousa.xyz
washcar.xyz
winlottery.xyz
wondertravel.xyz
yourwishlist.xyz

YourWishList.xyz & FineLove.xyz are cool :)

•••
•••
No I don't, as I already noted - what does .com, .net, .org, .io, .me,.. etc. stand for or mean? And yeah, we know what they were 'supposed' to mean or stand for, but no one uses or buys them for their 'intended' meanings
And the first 2-3 years of the existance of .com, .net, .org you didn't see them advertised on billboards or commercials. Your point being??
But they (businesses) 'again' are not buying or using .com for what it means (commercial), but because it's (at this time) the more popular extension.

So my point still stands, that legacy extensions are not bought/used for what they 'mean', but because they are more 'known'.
Hawkeye, you got a good point there; many years ago when the .com .net . org & .info was produced customers or users of TDN was not of thinking or don't care of what an extension word mean to their business. About 1984-1989 an enternet evolution; an extension words was born. But now, there are so many choices. So in today's business will meet the new era. And in my opinion, the newer TDN that make sense will make it to the top; and will eventually rise its value. Just my thoughts.

•••
Miami.Condos
Premium.Domains
Caribbean.Vacations
Plastic.Surgery
Running.Shoes

Domains like these are the real gems between new gTLDs ...
Looks cool :)

•••
Back