IT.COM

discuss What is your opinion in xyz extension?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

domainsg

Established Member
Impact
what is your opinion in xyz extension?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It SOUNDS and LOOKS like SPAM !

+ The non-technical world doesn't understand that .xyz is a domain extension.

I believe there are better alternatives out there :)

•••
Its just like a .com.
If xyz started as an extension before .com, everyone would say .com as spam now.

My point is .com came first, ruled the web.
Xyz entered the boat lately, we should wait and see.

•••
what is your opinion in xyz extension?

It has more regs than any other new gTLD, should be good to go in China next year per their regulations. I've always like it...

•••
Most .xyz are registered by Chinese.
You have over 1.35 billion Chinese so I would not expect .xyz to be visible in China.
You have over 5 million .info`s registered does it make that extension success as an investment?
Look just at facts.
I have seen very good .xyz keywords on this forum and no one wanted to pay even funny money.
Try sell .xyz and you will see how great this extension is ...the rest is marketing

•••
thank you everyone
and those who think .xyz is a spam...what do you think about the latest sales?
you cant ignore that there are alot of sales lately in .xyz check namebio.com

however i dont have any xyz domain right now but i am thinking of investing in it.

•••
@domainsg few popular sales cannot make a extension worthy. There are lot more sale in mobi io ly etc but still these extensions not get real place in domain market. Domainers still want to stick with popular tlds. Xyz may be rise in far future but that's still a guess. I ask few non domainers friends about xyz extensions. I told them you can register your company name with this extension because your campany name is still availabe they said NOOOO. What is xyz.

•••
sales in xyz are not afew little sales ..cant compare even to mobi sales
co and biz were not that popular as they are now
so we will see what will happen with the .xyz

•••
It's all guesswork. It's an easy extension to market and because of that I think it has some scope. I've invested a relatively small amount in it.

•••
Oh and there is only a very small reseller market currently so if your asking what I think of xyz in this very moment it's not very much but like I said I think it has some scope for the future.

•••
Personally, I like the xyz extension. I hope it does well. I think I registered about 10-20 domains, but don't plan on selling for lots of money. Frankly, I will be happy IF I can sell for $20/domain. Profit is profit. It's not a career for me.
As far as spam goes, any website that I don't go to directly or through search engines are spam. It doesn't matter if it's a .com.

•••
I'll admit that the following do sound cool...

Miami.Condos
Premium.Domains
Caribbean.Vacations
Plastic.Surgery
Running.Shoes

Of course the registries were never going to give away names like that for $1 with $1 annual renewals. Quite often the most logical keywords in the new TLDs are already priced beyond what would be prudent for an investor to take a swing.

My opinion of XYZ:
Pros
-shorter than many other nTLDs
-no premium renewals
-can be used with any keyword

Con:
-Why the h--- would anyone spend serious money on website development and startup costs and then brand their business on a %$#@! TLD like XYZ? Few long-time domain investors spend much time on lowly .INFO but even .INFO still makes far more sense.

Of course whether I like a TLD or not is irrelevant. What matters is what type of domain names are end users buying in the aftermarket. The fact that a few companies have reg fee domains in an extension means little if a TLD has no track record of generating consistent aftermarket sales. I believe a relevant metric is number of reported aftermarket sales (NOT REGISTRY SALES which domainers do not benefit from) and also your personal history of selling domains in that TLD.

If you hold 100 .XYZ domains, how many serious offers have your received in the last year? If your XYZ sales are more than renewals, then keep holding on to your best names. If you have no offers, then perhaps you need to drop some (because apparently no one wants them).

•••
Xx.xyz just sold for $59,464 maybe give some hope to lesser xyz domains.

•••
Regged about 10 .xyz & sold one for low $xxx. Used that amount to reg again half .xyz domains and another half .com domains.

•••
If you hold 100 .XYZ domains, how many serious offers have your received in the last year? If your XYZ sales are more than renewals, then keep holding on to your best names. If you have no offers, then perhaps you need to drop some (because apparently no one wants them).

Your missing the point. No one is investing in xyz to sell in the current market.

The investment is in anticipation of demand at some point in the future, not because it exists already.

•••
While it is true that outbound marketing to end users who were not looking to buy a domain name has a very, very low conversion rate, passively waiting for end users to come to you also means waiting a few years (even for a .COM). How many years are you willing to fund a negative cash flow portfolio if the market for a particular TLD seems to be minimal? Again, registry sales and sales by other domain investors don't help your wallet. (i.e. someone sold Sharks.tv for $15k recently and I have many more business-oriented domains than "sharks")

•••
While it is true that outbound marketing to end users who were not looking to buy a domain name has a very, very low conversion rate, passively waiting for end users to come to you also means waiting a few years (even for a .COM). How many years are you willing to fund a negative cash flow portfolio if the market for a particular TLD seems to be minimal? Again, registry sales and sales by other domain investors don't help your wallet. (i.e. someone sold Sharks.tv for $15k recently and I have many more business-oriented domains than "sharks")

Your assuming my entire portfolio is .xyz. It isn't. The rest of my portfolio will support my relatively small investment.

•••
It's most probably useless for the time being. We'll see in 5 years or so.

•••
Does it make sense to you?

It doesn't to me. What does xyz stand for? Is it suppose to be cute? Maybe I am missing something.

Not a fan.

-Omar

•••

It doesn't to me. What does xyz stand for? Is it suppose to be cute? Maybe I am missing something.

Not a fan.

-Omar
It means that your pants are unzipped.

Seriously, though, I like it BECAUSE it doesn't mean anything.

•••
•••

Well to look at an extension this way, what does .com, .net, .org, .io, .me,.. etc. stand for or mean? And yeah, we know what they were 'supposed' to mean or stand for, but no one uses or buys them for their 'intended' meanings (except maybe by a 'very' few). So other than the new gTLDs that are actually words, 98% of legacy extensions are not used for their meanings or for making sense, they're just established and already known by the masses as an 'extension'. Extensions only really mean something to domainers, who want to trade in them, and that boils down to only caring about the most popular and coveted ones, not to what they mean.

•••
yes i agree with you omar it doesnt make sense but also jkhg.com and gfdr.com and most 4l.com dont make sense to me but they are selling as investment....i think .xyz became popular because google has taken a name on this extension..

we will see what will happen with this extension

•••
Well to look at an extension this way, what does .com, .net, .org, .io, .me,.. etc. stand for or mean?

Well. Based off what I've read on the history of the internet, .com = Commercial (or commerce), Net = Network, Org = Organization. Get my drift? Also, these extentions have withstood the test of time and are qeuit natural in the eyes of society today (maybe primarily in the USA but I am sure they have international use as well).

Extensions only really mean something to domainers, who want to trade in them, and that boils down to only caring about the most popular and coveted ones, not to what they mean.

Not really. I don't see many .anythings being advertised on billboards and commercials. Also, an extension would mean a lot if you owned something other than the .COM and some of your traffic was leaking over to the .com. I'm pretty sure an extension does not only mean something to domainers, most businesses want to be on the best extension (which right now, is .com)

yes i agree with you omar it doesnt make sense but also jkhg.com and gfdr.com and most 4l.com dont make sense to me but they are selling as investment....i think .xyz became popular because google has taken a name on this extension..

we will see what will happen with this extension

That's because they are hot right now. Also, those still end in .COM. lol. Which is my point. Also, a business could still use these if the letter stand for something for their business.

•••
Well. Based off what I've read on the history of the internet, .com = Commercial (or commerce), Net = Network, Org = Organization. Get my drift?
No I don't, as I already noted - what does .com, .net, .org, .io, .me,.. etc. stand for or mean? And yeah, we know what they were 'supposed' to mean or stand for, but no one uses or buys them for their 'intended' meanings
I don't see many .anythings being advertised on billboards and commercials.
And the first 2-3 years of the existance of .com, .net, .org you didn't see them advertised on billboards or commercials. Your point being??
I'm pretty sure an extension does not only mean something to domainers, most businesses want to be on the best extension (which right now, is .com)
But they (businesses) 'again' are not buying or using .com for what it means (commercial), but because it's (at this time) the more popular extension.

So my point still stands, that legacy extensions are not bought/used for what they 'mean', but because they are more 'known'.

•••
Back