IT.COM

What is the most you have paid for a domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

atinc

EntrepreneurTop Member
Impact
We have a lot of domain investors here on nP that is following different strategies. Some only hand reg. domains while others buy from aftermarket, some likes to participate in auctions and some prefer to catch domains from dropcatch services.

Starting from your first domain reg. till now, how much did you pay the most for a domain name?

Tell us about its story like where you bought it, what is the name, do you still own it or sold it ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
xx,xxx on a couple, x,xxx on several , usually low to mid xxx on average, but i hand reg most of my names, let them sit and age like good whisky, get offers weekly on hand reggies i have owned since 2005 to present.

•••
I spent $1600 on domain names twice.

first time - it was a partnership that went south. Partner paid me back what I put into the domain so I broke even but my partner got the domain name.

second time - I still own the domain name but developed it into a site that makes $xxxx every month.

•••
£550 in domain flipped in the same month for £750
£300 in domain backorder sold in less than 2 weeks for £1000

•••
Paid $360,000 for .top extension domain, as you know .top is the king extension.

•••
Never more than low $XXXX
let them sit and age like good whisky,.
Love that way to express it ..Also a fine whisky/whiskey collector but mainly "liquid" and "Private"ly held, 50 or so of the others are just for a fast flip , maybe another year reg, then a drop!

•••
Not much, i think $380 but i still own it

Other domains maximum $200 as i try to get names at wholesale price that i can usually flip to a reseller on namejet etc

•••
•••
Highest I paid was 20k

Highest offer I have made was 100k

I have numerous acquisitions in the 1k - 20k range with a number of them being purchased through namepros.

•••
-

Last edited:
•••
Pretty sure mine was $95 in a GoDaddy auction :P

•••
•••
I've gotten quite a few mid xxx over the years, but I'm yet to make the big leap (for me) to x,xxx.
Waiting for the right spot.

•••
$30,000 for c/h/e/a/p/g/a/m/e/s -- com & $30,000 for c/h/e/a/p/t/e/x/t/b/o/o/k/s -- com.
$1,600 or so for M/y/Z/i/p -- com was my best buy I'd say.

•••
I have sold few domains for $500 I guess it was a nice deal.

•••
$30,000 for c/h/e/a/p/g/a/m/e/s -- com & $30,000 for c/h/e/a/p/t/e/x/t/b/o/o/k/s -- com.

Do you still own cheap/games?

•••
As the end user, what's the vision?

•••
•••
•••
Can you be more specific?
Those are end user prices. I purchased a domain as the end user from Uniregistry ($16k) but developed it.

I can't believe you paid $60k for those names as a 'domain investment'

•••
Those are end user prices. I purchased a domain as the end user from Uniregistry ($16k) but developed it.

I can't believe you paid $60k for those names as a 'domain investment'

You are in essence correct. Cheap--Games was in effect a flip within a year I think, but originally I had planned to develop it as an affiliate site. The textbooks name was built out and has had many incarnations. I knew it could convert as I had the site working before I bought it.

So I got lucky on Cheap//Games and made only a small profit after broker fees. This in fact turned me off this side of the game (buying bigger names). I think I paid $1500 for one auction in like a year and a half. I prefer the math of buying from $8-79 max.

My//Zip was also built but I've a problem as I can't now get the IP from the users computer automatically so it's canned for the moment. At 1600 or so that one is in the range of a domain investment, especially as Marchex put a lot of work into it.

Last edited:
•••
•••

But I am building up liquidity to invest in low/mid xxx within 12-24 months

M88

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back