IT.COM

offers What is the highest offer you've rejected?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

atinc

EntrepreneurTop Member
Impact
I thought it would be interesting to see offers that nP users turn downed in their domaining journey.

Let's share the amount of offer, and the domain name.

Let us know if you regret your decision?

For example:

This year I received a $2500 offer for Beverage.Catering by an enduser from U.K, but I've turned it down and I don't regret it. :happy:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ElectricCar.JPG

• Turned down $100K for above name. No regret at all. They were willing to go little up but very slightly but I turned down very politely.
  • Current Market share is 3% to 4% . Growing almost 40% to 50% annually.
  • 8% to 10% market share target by 2020 to 2022.
  • Major automotive companies planning to do mass production around 2020.
1 humble request to all friends. Please do not write above names in full during response or comment.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Hi,

This thread is becoming funnier with the day pass by. So many people who really have great name. Their rejection is justifiable as well. But few people just posting anything to get attention of others and think that people on this forum comes from different planet who does not have any market sense as far as domain goes.

I think intention or motive of this thread for us is to share real offer we receieved which has real genuine buyer who willing to negotiate little here and there besides their initial offer but less than our expectation price. That is called real rejection. Even I have receievd fake 7 Figure offers for some of my names but I did not post here. Even I can show you screenshot of real and fake offers both. But people who has good understanding for the market will tell right away if offer is real or not.

So humble to request to all. Plese post real offer rejected by you. Not fake one. If we post fake number without any base will degrade your reputation in long run. People will figure out right away if your post is real or fake to get attention.

Final decision is yours. Just sharing as good friend.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
Turned down $30k for a domain I picked up for less than $500.

Then a 3-4 months later I turned down $17k for the same domain, totally different inquiry.

Still have the domain, and now that the industry is moving to the U.S. I just bumped up my ask and put it on SEDO. Only time will tell but I'm pretty sure I can get high 5-fig low 6-figures.

It's a risky game we play, so I don't regret it. What I would regret is if I sold it for $30k and could have gotten $200k.

Last edited:
•••
I had an offer of about $160k for a real estate domain. Turns out the lady was trying to apply for a mortgage instead :xf.laugh:

•••
The best offer I got was $500,000 for cheaptextbooks.com around six or seven years ago. However at the time, the domain was making up to $90,000 per annum. I'm probably down a bit versus taking the offer. The highest offer now is much lower.

Last edited:
•••
I turned down $10K for Satellite.tv, from two different unsolicited prospects. Probably a mistake.

•••
I turned down $35,000USD for a domain that I sold latter @ $50,000USD and my asking price was 100k....I sold to cheap bc I didn't know how to properly negociate a deal, my fault!
I never ever drop my price ever since that happened. I would rather lose the sale on my own terms.
The domain is under NDA, however it was in the "AI" tech field and two word name....

•••
$500,000 turned down as my asking price was $505,000 to cover escrow fees. Now selling that domain for $5000 on Namepros, highest offer so far $90.

•••
$68,000.00 rejected a few years ago (2014) for one of my brands = domain (ScorpionAgency.com) + website + client lists + content + trademarks, + copyrights + archive of client design files + lead generator sites that fed it (x8 sites at the time) + a few other odds and ends that go with a business.

I don't regret it, even when life slams me down and forces me to struggle to get back in the swing. I guess it's like a security blanket or your favorite toy. You just can't part with it no matter what someone offers.

I didn't even bother to negotiate or rebuttal. Just a simple, Sorry, not for sale reply. ;)

•••
turned down $550K offer on W e e d . c o m

•••
A well known brokerage reached out to me a few years ago about a buyer they had who wanted one word dot coms. They had Stuffed.com on their list and approached me with a $30,000 offer. I thought it was worth more at the time so we ultimately did not close the deal. I wouldn't say that I regret that decision, but if I had the same offer today then I would accept it. I turned down a separate $10,000 offer for it this year. It remains one of the highest traffic and revenue names in my portfolio.

During the same discussion the same brokerage asked me about any other one word dot coms I had. I told them about Squats.com and they offered me $20,000 for it, but I declined that as well. Just in the last month I have declined a $15,000 offer and a $10,000 offer for that name from different prospects. I think $20,000 is a bare minimum for it yet I think it is worth even more than that. No regrets there.

I have another eight letter dot com that I turned down a $25,000 offer on. I still own it and I think it is worth much more. It is in a far more stable (and growing) niche than crypto so when I see BitcoinWallet.com sell for $250,000 I don't see why this particular name would not be in a similar range. There is some regret here, but I was hoping to get this prospect a little higher.

I have recently rejected a $15,000 offer on a six letter .org name that I think is worth $25,000 at a minimum.

I have recently rejected a separate $15,000 offer on a different five letter .org name that I think is worth more than $25,000 yet this particular name is one that I am not inclined to sell at all.

Finally, I had a $10,000 offer from a large company for a name that I think has the potential to close with an extra digit. This company claimed that they would not be able to get support in their budget for any more than their $10,000 offer, but I am comfortable holding out for a competitor to come along. I'd love to close now, but I would prefer to hang on and see this one fulfill its potential.

Despite all of this and my successful sales, I always have the lingering feeling that I should be doing better than I am.

•••
Turn down 10,000 for s/y/s/t/e/m/ .n/e/t

Please dont copy and write the name out in full

•••
Sounds like you're doing very well there @ZenDomains.com ... who do you use for brokering?

Brokering is a touchy subject for me. I have yet to come across many that I like and I have never had a broker successfully sell a name for me. If you are asking about the rejected offers I mentioned above then know that only the first two that I named were related to the brokerage that approached me unsolicited. The rest of the rejections I mentioned but did not name were inquires and negotiations that I handled myself.

I have tried nearly every broker around and they are almost all terrible. They will insist that every name you own is worthless. When that happens you have to sit back and ask yourself if you should re-evaluate your portfolio or if something else is up. I have sold enough names now and at high enough prices to recognize that I know how to do this as well as anyone. If anything I am selling my names for prices that are far too low. This should be the void that a broker fills, but most of them only seem to deal with the low hanging fruit.

Look at people like Rick Schwartz, Michael Berkens, and especially Mike Mann. They don't push their names through brokers or do any outbound work. Frank Schilling doesn't either; all of his outbound work is spent relentlessly harassing previous inbound inquiries. I would love to use stronger language here, but I would recommend that you forget about using brokers. They only seem to leech a cut out of names that are already good enough to sell themselves.

I started building my platform back in 2012 after experiencing this nonsense. This was back when DomainNameSales (now Uniregistry) was exclusive to a few limited high end sellers and BrandBucket was the only game in town in its niche but with its notoriously outrageous fees. So while I am reluctant to recommend a competitor that has come along well after I conceived a similar idea, Doron Vermaat is a good dude and I would recommend using Efty. Self-brokered names at Uniregistry and Epik are also solid ideas. If I can ever get time to give my own platform legs and release it to the public then I think it will undoubtedly make a solid impression as well.

If you want to know the brokers that I have so far found to be decent then here is my list:
  1. Lumis: Hobi and Slade Michalec, formerly of Domain Holdings, are polite and courteous enough to reply to you even if they decline to broker your names. I have found that quality to be rare among brokers.
  2. NameExperts: Joe Uddeme, also formerly of Domain Holdings, is just as polite and willing to be honest with you about your names. He is also one of the Masters of Domains: https://www.escrow.com/cn/masters-of-domains
  3. NameConnect: John Daly seems to be a good dude and lacks the pretentiousness so common in this field.
  4. Evergreen: I have never tried them, but I am a fan of Adam Strong. He seems like a sincere guy and someone worthy of trust. I wouldn't hesitate to work with him.
That's it. I have talked to over a dozen brokers and brokerages, some now defunct, and that is all I would personally recommend at this time. There are some truly bad ones out there and some of them are surprisingly considered top dogs. Color me less than impressed.

I owe all of my success in domain investing to watching what Mike Mann does and ignoring all of the other noise out there. Margot Bushnaq's BrandBucket also opened my eyes to the opportunities that exist with made up words and while I owe some of my success to following that path I absolutely hate their business model.

•••
$12,000

For tech .io

Later sold for $15,105

•••
Rejected $2500 offer on WebConsulting.com

•••
Turned down $100,000 & $125,000 on 3 number (NNN,com) which I later ended up selling for $150k :)

Turned down $50,000 offer for 3 letter (LLL.in) which I regretted later on. :(

Turned down $14,000, $9000, $3500 & several $1000 offer on Pod related 2 keyword domain name. Since Pod Transportation is the future, I have bumped up my buy now price for the domain name to $100,000 :)

On another note, I have #politelyrejected hundreds of three-four figure offers in my career span of 18 years in the domain name industry!

•••
I wish I could contribute to this thread :xf.frown: !

ps If one of you wants to make me some big offer, even though the name doesn't warrant it, you know, just to let me feel included. Yeah, that would be nice! :xf.smile:

•••
i turned down $15k offer for coin related domain in .io tld.

and many offers in the range of $2k to $5k for multiple .com domains.

•••
$20K on one crypto domain in king.
$25K on one insurance domain in king
its not easy to refuse such offers.

•••
•••
What if you never sell it? Just because you received an offer doesn't mean another one will come again. I offered to buy a domain name from a guy 15 years ago and he turned down my offer which was more than fair. Guess what? He's still trying to sell that domain and even sent me an email the other day asking if I'm still interested which I'm not.

Well I can say from experience that only those afraid to take risks ask "what if".

"What if" isn't real, it's in your head.

"What if" a buyer comes along and pays twice my expected asking price. "What if" is similar to "whataboutism", in that any conjecture will fit to make vague points. But asking "What if" is worse because it's usually a fearful deterrent that holds people back.

Also, I received two offers, not one. :pompous:

You play the odds, you make educated buying decisions, plan, and take the risks you can afford to; it either pays off or it does not.

Never think you're the only game in town

The Eagles aren't the only team in the NFL, but they are the best.

Be the best, not the only.

•••
Chainpreneur.com is a very good name. I'm surprised it was available for registration until recently. Absolutely worth holding on for a while, in my opinion.
Sometimes, you find some names available for handreg and you wonder why. I don't support the school of thought saying all "no good names is available for handreg". It's a fat lie

•••
Likely TLDR but if you are beginning your domain investing journey this is a worthwhile read.

Not my highest but one that still annoys me...

Acquired W e-d-e-l-ver --- wine .king (correct the spelling) here on NP for 12 bucks. I was still in my very early days and I didn't yet appreciate how difficult it was to garner offers this high on a domain of that quality on outbound, never mind general interest.

Offered 1500, I countered to 2k and blew the deal, all follow ups at agreed price and even lower pricing failed.

I ended up selling it here on NP for a tiny ROI and I see it's still listed for sale.

I had two other domains which received 5 figure offers that I turned down and I knew end user sales were inevitable. There's some names where you just know the right buyer will eventually come knocking.

It was as though the Universe conspired to force my hand to liquidate. Right before Christmas medical related bills started racking up along with a huge PP chargeback and a 200 domains to renew, I was forced to liquidate on the reseller market.

I made a great ROI for the reseller market (approx 1000%), however both resellers ended up making end user sales less than a year later.

However, you can't focus on the negatives, you have to learn from these experiences and appreciate the silver lining.

The silver lining for me was that 1 year in to my domain investing career I managed to identify and acquire quite cheaply two domains that were worth 6 figures combined and that tells me that my instincts were right and that my skill at identifying commercially valuable domains was drastically improving. (Thanks to Namepros!).

I sold them here via NP via the wanted section. I pmed 15 resellers on wanted threads and only three responded to my PM. Amazing as the value was glaringly obvious imo. This also taught me that valuations and opinions from other domain investors (unless value is liquid) are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

If you do your homework and you identify the value to a market and you can foresee a domain being branded out. i.e by who and how it can be used, trust your instinct and ignore the noise. However, don't be delusional and be open to criticism. If your research is sound and your instinct is right, you will have no issue countering any criticism with sound logic. If you can't then maybe your domain does suck. :)

I don't post valuations any more and I don't offer my opinion unless I know the niche/market the domain is in, otherwise a valuation is worthless. Sure you can go through comparable kw sales, but the fallacy here is that you assume that all those sellers had in depth knowledge of said market and that all those comparable sales were in the same niche/market.

Three names i asked for valuations on here were deemed reg fee yet all three sold to end users in a very short space of time.

Finally, this taught me the value of focusing on niches and markets that you know inside out, this will give you a massive edge over other domain investors who use the scatter gun approach. Great names in the niche I now focus immediately stand out and when the value isn't obvious to general investors I can often acquire them on the drop uncontested. Lastly, it's important that what you focus on is a cash rich market.

Please don't mistake this post as "I've reached the mountain top". Far bloody from it! I've got so much more to learn.

•••
Turned down $1500 for SquadCam Dot com from a small reseller of police car cameras. The negotiations started poorly with the potential buyer telling me he had a TM and it was of no value to me. He didn't have a trademark......and after speaking to me he went and bought all the other extensions including the hyphenated Squad-cam. In my research I found he lost a $75k lawsuit the previous year for buying domains similar to his competitors and forwarding them to his website. I'll admit, he probably would have gotten it for the $1500 if he wasn't such an ass, so I don't regret it a bit. Inclined to renew till I die just so he can't get it.

•••
Back