Dynadot

question What is the functional difference when hyphens are included?

NameSilo
Watch
I want to know the real application difference between a domain with no hyphens and one with hyphens.

I've been domaining for a long time, so I understand that hyphens are more difficult to communicate and remember.

But beyond that, how does a hyphenated domain "act differently?"

Take the following hypothetical examples...

NHL.whatever
N-H-L.whatever

Or

Housepainter.whatever
House-Painter.whatever

The name and the hyphenated name having the same extension, will both be as easily recognizable by search engines as the other? Does the hyphen make it too weird on a web functionality scale?

Thanks in advance for your input.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I want to know the real application difference between a domain with no hyphens and one with hyphens.

I've been domaining for a long time, so I understand that hyphens are more difficult to communicate and remember.

But beyond that, how does a hyphenated domain "act differently?"

Take the following hypothetical examples...

NHL.whatever
N-H-L.whatever

Or

Housepainter.whatever
House-Painter.whatever

The name and the hyphenated name having the same extension, will both be as easily recognizable by search engines as the other? Does the hyphen make it too weird on a web functionality scale?

Thanks in advance for your input.
opinion.... I think chatgpt and other AI's will like hyphen names that make sense ,are readable, and have great back links.
xxxxxxyyyyy vs xxxxxx-yyyyy in many languages are going to switch in hits if not in value....
s/e

•••
ipaddress - i-pad-dress
Window - Win-Dow
Edit - E-Dit

I believe some words / names would get a better meaning when a hyphen is added and also have a clear advantage when the respective key words are searched for.
For ex: Searching for Win Dow should at least theoretically give some preference for the Win-Dow.ext in the search results.
But I don't think there would be any difference in the other functionalities.

Last edited:
•••
The only thing that I have noticed with Ai systems is that they don't always correctly identify the words that are being used.

For example if you have a domain name which uses the words 'Ran' and 'Draw' it finds that there is a word 'Rand' (South African currency) and 'Raw' so instead of keywords 'Ran' and 'Draw' it searches for keywords 'Rand' and 'Raw' and usually finds less broad and exact match searches.

There may be long forgotten or less common words in use today that are loaded into the Ai and it thinks that we want to use these obscure words which may affect usable information stats.

Rgrds,

Redd

•••
Thanks for the input so far.

How do you think hyphens affect value?

•••
Thanks for the input so far.

How do you think hyphens affect value?
I see that the value is less at the investors level.
But it may get a good value at the end users level when there is a need.
Recent Sedo weekly sales data shows the below sale price.

direct-flights.com - 35000 USD
(GD value: $1300 ) B-)

green-living.com 2495 USD (GD Value: $4190 !!)
alzheimers-society.org 2174 USD (GD value: $279)

So my opinion is,
Hyphen affects the price at the investor level, as retail sale would be difficult if there is no demand.
Demand affects the price at the retail / end user level as they decides that name as the suitable one.

Last edited:
•••
Back