Dynadot

discuss What is the advantage of backorder?

NameSilo
Watch

Leo2k

Established Member
Impact
If a domain has demand from multiple buyers then it would go for auction, if i am right.
If a domain has no demand, then it will be available for normal registration through any registrar at the normal price.

So what is the advantage of placing backorder for a domain at a higher cost instead of participating in the auction directly if there was a demand or registering at the normal price if there was no demand?

That way, if there was no demand you purchase the domain at a less / normal price instead of the higher backorder price.

Or is there anything that I am missing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
None has an opinion about this? I am confused if I should cancel the backorder and watch the domain or let the backorder be there.

•••
What if someone beats you to getting the domain when it drops? Someone else might not place a backorder and wait for it to drop like yourself and register before you

Last edited:
•••
If a domain has demand from multiple buyers then it would go for auction, if i am right.
If a domain has no demand, then it will be available for normal registration through any registrar at the normal price.
Yes, instead of backordering, some domains drop and eventually show up for registration again. It takes a bit of time to wait and see, but this can be a simple approach if you think there will be no demand for it. Presumably, you would have to be organized to remember to check it after the the expiration date and the grace renewal period.

So what is the advantage of placing backorder for a domain at a higher cost instead of participating in the auction directly if there was a demand or registering at the normal price if there was no demand?
Certainly, participating in an auction directly would be a consideration, if demand becomes apparent after the domain expires. The question is when would you know if and when the auction begins. That might be one advantage of the backorder. But, if it goes to auction, you might have done better just trying to buy the domain from the owner in the first place at a low price before it would have been dropped.
That way, if there was no demand you purchase the domain at a less / normal price instead of the higher backorder price.

Or is there anything that I am missing?
Choose the strategy that works best for you. If you are very organized, and really want a domain, there's no reason that you couldn't monitor to see whether it goes to auction or goes back to the registry. Those both seem like sensible options, if you don't want to pay for a backorder.

Last edited:
•••
What if someone beats you to getting the domain when it drops? Someone else might not place a backorder and wait for it to drop like yourself and register before you
Okay. That's one point there. If everyone waits to see if its available for normal registration instead of backorder and go for auction, then the domain goes to the one who searches for it as soon as it was available to register.

•••
Yes, instead of backordering, some domains drop and eventually show up for registration again. It takes a bit of time to wait and see, but this can be a simple approach if you think there will be no demand for it. Presumably, you would have to be organized to remember to check it after the the expiration date and the grace renewal period.

Certainly, participating in an auction directly would be a consideration, if demand becomes apparent after the domain expires. The question is when would you know if and when the auction begins. That might be one advantage of the backorder. But, if it goes to auction, you might have done better just trying to buy the domain from the owner in the first place at a low price before it would have been dropped.

Choose the strategy that works best for you. If you are very organized, and really want a domain, there's no reason that you couldn't monitor to see whether it goes to auction or goes back to the registry. Those both seem like sensible options, if you don't want to pay for a backorder.
Well. I just going to let the backorder be there and see how it goes.

•••
Back