Dynadot

domain What is for you the the value of Hotels.Best/Hotel.best ?

NameSilo
Watch

Cyril.Best

Established Member
.Best Staff
Impact
Hi,

I am interested to know what is for you the the value of Hotels.Best/Hotel.Best ?

Hotels.com was sold about $11M in 2001 and we just received a proposal of $1M for Hotels.Best + Hotel.Best.

"Best Hotel" is a +40M searches / month.

besthotel.jpg

Thanks

CF

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Re the original question, this article and link from Elliot of DomainInvesting about the $11 million purchase, and an earlier sale for a higher amount, provides some background. Note also the idea of one of the commenters who points out that strictly speaking when a domain was sold in past we should apply some rate of inflation to get current dollars (although question of whether domains are increasing at, below or above inflation rate has no clear answer in my opinion).
https://domaininvesting.com/bbc-hotels-com-domain-name-originally-bought-for-11-million/

For convenience here is a link for the NameBio listed sales of exact word 'hotels'
https://namebio.com/?s==YDO0IDM4AjM
Now most of those are country/region sales so not useful comparators. The .top sale (mentioned earlier in this thread) is more relevant, but it apparently went to a domainer as it is up now on Undeveloped I see. Also, the strong single country bias in registrations of .top make it less desired for other regions.

Re valuation, it does need to be taken into account that hotel and hotels are being sold as a package. How much does that add to just hotels? Not sure but something, although less than a factor of 2. The package sale of sleeping and snoring last year, officially listed as $500k each, is perhaps relevant.

I think the availability of 'besthotels' in various extensions (here is DOFO link) including .net for just low/mid $$$$ dampens price possibilities. Also the .online can be bought for not that high a price. Possibly the .best social network makes the .best much more valuable, but it is still early days. Here is link: https://dofo.com/search/?contains=besthotels

If it was mine, I would close the deal as soon as possible (rather than asking for advice here :xf.wink:).

All the .best,

Bob

•••
Whenever you read posts about extensions other than .com selling for unusually high prices whether .best .tv .top .app .homes or whatever must take with a grain (or boulder) of salt.

Some oddball extension posts at NP are hype and pump some are thoughtful and reasoned.

•••
Please report the $1,000,000 sale, once completed!!!

We will don't worry.

I am actually in contact with Michael from NameBio to see how we can report all our .Best premium sales.

But Like I said in differend thread, we received the engagement letter from from the buyer but we still did not decide. We will in the next days and will report everything in a full transparent mode.

Not only that BIG sales but also the others premium sales that we have done and that you can retrieve on our twitter and linkedin account already.

•••
Hi,

I am interested to know what is for you the the value of Hotels.Best/Hotel.Best ?

Hotels.com was sold about $11M in 2001 and we just received a proposal of $1M for Hotels.Best + Hotel.Best.

"Best Hotel" is a +40M searches / month.

besthotel.jpg

Thanks

CF

This is not true. Search volume for best hotel is only 22K, not 40M.

And no one searches for "hotel best" of course.

And, by the way, top hotel is searched 18K per month, so not much different from best hotel.

•••
This is not true. Search volume for best hotel is only 22K, not 40M.

And no one searches for "hotel best" of course.

And, by the way, top hotel is searched 18K per month, so not much different from best hotel.

22K is only for the exact search "best hotel".

You did not ignore that the long tail searches exist in google ?

This data is provided by Google (not me) on the long tail searches around "best hotel" for the full world and considering only the english language.

At the peak of August 2018 : "Best Hotel" long tail searches was about 49M.

besthotel.jpg

•••
I think that before anyone can judge on the final valuation, you should read this post that was just share recently by Bob :
https://domaininvesting.com/bbc-hotels-com-domain-name-originally-bought-for-11-million/

It will help understand the psychology of a such deal and why we are analyzing everything before giving our final approval to the buyer.

From the article: “In 2001 the company purchased the name Hotels.com for around $11m and at the time this was thought to be “a crazy sum of money”. Now we look back and think, what a bargain,”

I know that most of you think that we are crazy, take the money and run but whe you have no money pression you understand the time play for you.

What seems crazy is always a subjective question and also related to a period of time when you are not in the seat of the buyer.

I could give you hundreds of examples in different type of business and industry :

- I remember when Facebook bought instagram for $1B
- I remember when Facebook bought whatsapp for $19B

I don't know if all of you know the story of what happened but one month before accepting the deal of $19B, whatsapp CEO (Jan Koum) refuse an offer from facebook of $1B.

And what seems crazy ($19B) at the time of whatsapp acquisition is now the new strategy of facebook that was announced recently by Zuck.

So like I said, when you don't know the buyer plan, what they can do with hotels.best in terms of business, and are just considering the intrinsec value of the asset, you can't really estimate the value.

I don't blame anybody here coz I did the same most of the time when I am buying something but when you know the plans of your buyer and the real business potential of your asset then it's not the same and this is why we are still in the position of analyzing every aspect of the deal.

Just to explain our mindset right now.

•••
Go Cyril, congrats! Ignore the haters!

Thanks for the support and don't worry - I even love the haters coz they give you value.

Some don't understand why, but I know that the smartest of them could be our best supporter at the end and this is why I don't blame anybody here to hate us. Everybody is free to have its own opinion.

But I like also haters, because sometimes you can be wrong also on your side and it helps also sometimes to correct yourself or your attitude. We are not perfect, I can make mistake - i did and will make again - nothing wrong with that.

For intance, I like @Bob Hawkes approach. He's not a hater but his analyze is always constructive and moderate by external data - not just by a subjective point of view - that we all have.

Plus, I can totally understand every septicism, mistrust and any others bad feelings against us at first sight. The ngtlds market don't play in our favour right now.

But as a business man, I only believe in execution. That's is my only conviction coz the true is always proven by your achievements not by what you're saying and this is why I am cool coz we know exactly what we do and what we have already achieve.

All the .best for you and your business and thanks again for your support.

CF

•••
Thanks for the support and don't worry - I even love the haters coz they give you value.

Some don't understand why, but I know that the smartest of them could be our best supporter at the end and this is why I don't blame anybody here to hate us. Everybody is free to have its own opinion.

But I like also haters, because sometimes you can be wrong also on your side and it helps also sometimes to correct yourself or your attitude. We are not perfect, I can make mistake - i did and will make again - nothing wrong with that.

For intance, I like @Bob Hawkes approach. He's not a hater but his analyze is always constructive and moderate by external data - not just by a subjective point of view - that we all have.

Plus, I can totally understand every septicism, mistrust and any others bad feelings against us at first sight. The ngtlds market don't play in our favour right now.

But as a business man, I only believe in execution. That's is my only conviction coz the true is always proven by your achievements not by what you're saying and this is why I am cool coz we know exactly what we do and what we have already achieve.

All the .best for you and your business and thanks again for your support.

CF
This is perfectly stated and shows the mind of a true genius at work! Love to all, love is the answer, love rules always! WeLove.Best

Last edited:
•••
Hi,

To me, $zero.

Why?

Its backwards. Since when are representing our online identity with backwards names? Its like those other names people are doing, doubling even tripling up on letters and whatnot. Make no sense.

If it was in Spanish, where its common to place the adjective before the noun, you might be onto something. But in English, it looks and sounds silly.

It might be ok as a forwarder.

CEO asking for an appraisal of a domain? On their names? Trying to take our job, or what?? :)

•••
Re the original question, this article and link from Elliot of DomainInvesting about the $11 million purchase, and an earlier sale for a higher amount, provides some background. Note also the idea of one of the commenters who points out that strictly speaking when a domain was sold in past we should apply some rate of inflation to get current dollars (although question of whether domains are increasing at, below or above inflation rate has no clear answer in my opinion).

For convenience here is a link for the NameBio listed sales of exact word 'hotels'
https://namebio.com/?s==YDO0IDM4AjM
Now most of those are country/region sales so not useful comparators. The .top sale (mentioned earlier in this thread) is more relevant, but it apparently went to a domainer as it is up now on Undeveloped I see. Also, the strong single country bias in registrations of .top make it less desired for other regions.

Re valuation, it does need to be taken into account that hotel and hotels are being sold as a package. How much does that add to just hotels? Not sure but something, although less than a factor of 2. The package sale of sleeping and snoring last year, officially listed as $500k each, is perhaps relevant.

I think the availability of 'besthotels' in various extensions (here is DOFO link) including .net for just low/mid $$$$ dampens price possibilities. Also the .online can be bought for not that high a price. Possibly the .best social network makes the .best much more valuable, but it is still early days. Here is link: https://dofo.com/search/?contains=besthotels

If it was mine, I would close the deal as soon as possible (rather than asking for advice here :xf.wink:).

All the .best,

Bob
Very valuable informations. Thank you @Bob Hawkes

•••
Hi,
your seeing best hotels, then you can see this website and maintain go through it Lahotera
you must see on the hotel is it Luxury and good maintenance

•••
I own home.condos and get About 333,000,000 on Google. Will you buy that for 1 Million?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back