IT.COM

What is an "Average" domainer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

biggie

GreenFriendly.comTop Member
Impact
:talk:

figured i'd ask the question, since i see plenty of posts referrring to the "average domainer".

wanting to know what he/she makes a year, where they park their names, etc

so, in your mind.... What is an "Average Domainer"?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
you know..they have a wife/husband, a dog, picket fence, 2.5 domain names, etc..

nah the "average domainer" probably hasnt even found the forums.. they register a bunch of domains after hearing some story about someone making money.. then the domains sit there and eventually drop or they eventually find the forums and go ah-ha

•••
•••
so, in your mind.... What is an "Average Domainer"?
Easy. It's the 99% who are doing domaining as a 'hobby'... usually at a loss.

•••
No way to know unless one performed a survey.
Without that, most people are probably biased by their own experiences.
One problem with a survey is that I don't think many people want to share that information

•••
One problem with a survey is that I don't think many people want to share that information

At least not honestly.

•••
•••
I'm sure there have been survey done before on this.

Kate is right though, the average domainer just does this for a hobby - there are very few who make big profits from this industry and even fewer who consider domaining their full time job.

•••
Lets start survey from here!

Please post your earning in a year..

Well, I'm still in learning phase so I would say I didn't make any profit, but lose as well...

•••
•••
nah the "average domainer" probably hasnt even found the forums.. they register a bunch of domains after hearing some story about someone making money.. then the domains sit there and eventually drop or they eventually find the forums and go ah-ha

so, should they even be considered in the group of "domainers", until they've made a committment or experienced the process over a specific time period?

like some newb who just walked in the door, bought 3 names with a gd coupon code and posts for an appraisal.....are they domainers

Easy. It's the 99% who are doing domaining as a 'hobby'... usually at a loss.

what % of those "hobbyist" do you think are just sustaining or may be seeing progress, and the % who are operating at a profit?

not really a survey per se`, just wanting to know, in your own words, what you think an average domainer is.

I'm sure there have been survey done before on this.

Kate is right though, the average domainer just does this for a hobby - there are very few who make big profits from this industry and even fewer who consider domaining their full time job.

so you think the average domainer is doing this as a hobby?

what percent of those who you think operate at a profit, are full time domainers?

and would full timers be considered in the group of "average domainer"?

Please post your earning in a year..

Well, I'm still in learning phase so I would say I didn't make any profit, but lose as well...

i'm not asking about what any individual domainer earns, cuz that's not my business, nor is it why i posed the question.

whether you lost money, made money or didn't spend any at all, isn't telling me, what you think an average domain is.

but i'd like to ask you this:

if you're still "learning" do you consider yourself a domainer, an average domainer or what?

:)

•••
so, should they even be considered in the group of "domainers", until they've made a committment or experienced the process over a specific time period?

well, its like calling somebody that sucks at baseball a "baseball player." they do indeed play baseball and they like it.. they just suck, so people within that sport would cringe at the "title" of "baseball player"

but in casual conversation with people not involved in baseball they wouldnt even give it much of a thought..

•••
well, its like calling somebody that sucks at baseball a "baseball player." they do indeed play baseball and they like it.. they just suck, so people within that sport would cringe at the "title" of "baseball player"

but in casual conversation with people not involved in baseball they wouldnt even give it much of a thought..

are you talking pro ball players, as that's much different than a kid trying to get in little league.

as "pro's are under contract", everybody else is free to quit at will

•••

are you talking pro ball players, as that's much different than a kid trying to get in little league.

as "pro's are under contract", everybody else is free to quit at will

yes but to everyone else not following the topic "he plays baseball" is all they know. like saying "he's a musician"

a successful one? dont know but he plays music..

its like explaining the difference between the word "domainer" and "cybersquatter" to a regular person. they probably understand when you explain it but in reality both deal with domains, therefore both are domainers.

lance armstrong is still a cyclist...

•••
so you think the average domainer is doing this as a hobby?
Everyone who enters the trade expects to make money, possibly side revenue but the reality is that it is a hobby. Dreams seldom come true.

what percent of those who you think operate at a profit, are full time domainers?
No idea, but $100 is a profit. I'm a part-time domainer too :)

and would full timers be considered in the group of "average domainer"?
Full timers should be making a living from domains. They are the minority and clearly not the 'average'.

•••
I would consider myself an "Average Domainer"..

Over the last say 6 years I have made around $15,000 PROFIT from domains, (20K in sales and 5K in purchases/renewals)...

I have a small portfolio of domains that I try to keep a cap on... I rarely register new domains rather focusing on turning the occasional profit from a sale into better, fewer domains.. With my end goal of owning maybe 20-30 HIGHER QUALITY names rather than 200-300 decent domains...

I constantly look at my portfolio and ask this question "Would I PAY someone ELSE $500 for THAT name? If my answer is YES I renew it, if I have to wonder if I would give $500 of MY OWN money to own it then i simply drop it...

I also have a portfolio of domains for my hobby, which is LOCAL development. Town Names, etc... those I keep separate. I also own personal domains, such as my name, last name, family name, etc..

I would consider myself the "average domainer" because in my mind it takes more than registering a domain to be a domainer... I feel you have to be actively participating in the industry...

If the definition of "Domainer" was simply own a domain name then DOMAINER woudl be considered the most popular profession on the planet.

•••
If the definition of "Domainer" was simply own a domain name then DOMAINER woudl be considered the most popular profession on the planet.

you threw the word profession in there though... i think its more about how much time you spend on it..

you're a surfer if you've spent the last 2 years surfing - even if you suck and dont make any money at it and the "real surfers" laugh at you... you do in fact surf and have spent a majority of your time doing it - so you're a surfer.

just like a crappy musician is still a musician if he spends 14 hours a day on it... its an area of interest for them even if they suck and only play cover songs. :)

•••
I would consider myself the "average domainer" because in my mind it takes more than registering a domain to be a domainer... I feel you have to be actively participating in the industry...

Great reply JD!

i particuarly like the way you expressed your opinion on both aspects of the subject.

:)

Thanks

•••
With my end goal of owning maybe 20-30 HIGHER QUALITY names rather than 200-300 decent domains...

I constantly look at my portfolio and ask this question "Would I PAY someone ELSE $500 for THAT name? If my answer is YES I renew it, if I have to wonder if I would give $500 of MY OWN money to own it then i simply drop it...

Very nicely put. Folks from Chicago usually know what they are doing ;) ...except for Jesse J Jr, of course!

•••

Whatever that guy is doing to that dog, the dog doesnt look too happy about it. :O

Sorry, back on topic...
Pretty hard to define "average" when you have the entire gambit from guys like RS and ES to (just as an example because he posted in the thread) new member TIB.

Average because of income, quality of domains, # of domains (quality or not)???... tuff question, biggie.
Let me ask you, bro, do you consider yourself an "average" domainer? Because if you do, then just judging by your sig, and the sales you have had, the vast majority are WAY below average.

Peace,
Cy

•••
Average because of income, quality of domains, # of domains (quality or not)???... tuff question, biggie.
Let me ask you, bro, do you consider yourself an "average" domainer? Because if you do, then just judging by your sig, and the sales you have had, the vast majority are WAY below average.

Peace,
Cy

Hi Cy

if you are judging me by the names in my sig and "posted' past sales on my site, then i'd say your research and assessment skills are waaay below average

or maybe i'm reading your comment incorrectly and you're saying the names i've sold, were sold for amounts way below average prices

or the quality of the names in my sig are way below average for the average domainer to own.

clarify please.

•••
biggie,

Doesn't this ultimately come down to what you, yourself, perceive as a 'domainer'?

A domainer could be anyone that owns a domain, someone that earns a profit from domains, someone that works full time in the domain industry.. or none of these..

•••
biggie,

Doesn't this ultimately come down to what you, yourself, perceive as a 'domainer'?

A domainer could be anyone that owns a domain, someone that earns a profit from domains, someone that works full time in the domain industry.. or none of these..

Hi Sabre

well, the original question came to mind, because in many posts i've read on various forums and blogs, quite often the term "average domainer" is used.

so i put it out there for feedback

afterwards, whether or not one could or should be "classified" as a domainer, grew from that.

but what i would think personally, would be irrelevant to everyone else...if the question was never presented. :)

thought out of the scenerios you put forward, i would say a domainer is one who has practical knowledge of various means to monetize or profit from the sale or usage of a domain name.

those who have yet to reach that level, are aspiring to be like others who have. does that make them domainers too?

those who just own a domain, may never do anything with it or may have acquired for a website and is not a follower of the trends within the domain industry.

also, someone who works ft in the industry may not be a domainer, they could work for a registrar, ppc service or even namejet...and never buy or sell one name.

what your thoughts on that?...

•••
Still learning here.:gl:

Last edited:
•••

Hi Cy

if you are judging me by the names in my sig and "posted' past sales on my site, then i'd say your research and assessment skills are waaay below average

or maybe i'm reading your comment incorrectly and you're saying the names i've sold, were sold for amounts way below average prices

or the quality of the names in my sig are way below average for the average domainer to own.

clarify please.

You're prolly right about my assessment skills, but what I meant was, that if someone at your level would be considered average, then the rest of us are way below average.
I consider you pretty far up the food chain. :)

Hope that clears things up.

Peace,
Cy

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back