Dynadot

advice What if some domains with trademark words registered?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

chris-flip

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys, I'm new in this domain field.

Recently I've registered some domains with trademark, initially I 'thought' it was a fabulous idea to register these domains and how could the BIG guys missed it. I mean, it's not a word contained in some strings, but actually the WORD itself, of course the extension might be some infamous ones like pw or site.

After searching for some infringement news, I now realize it's indeed a tragic action.

What should I do with these domain names? Let them expired? Wait for the BIG guys come and get me?

TQ for your advice.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
request a delete from the registrar

•••
yep, delete is wisest action

•••
Delete @ registrar.

As a newbie back in the 90's, I had three forced UDRP transfers. Lesson learned... I'll never forget those scars.

Not worth your rep to be holding TM names.

Focus on the long-term and you'll be fine. ;)

P.S. Welcome to domaining and to NP.

•••
Ok, well... will do that. Delete at registrars.

I thought I just owned the world, fantasizing myself becoming a zillionaire. Lol.

Thanks Eriq and everyone else for the kind advice. It's a good lesson though, nothing could have compared to your most valuable advice.
:xf.smile:

•••
It really depends on the name and what the trademark is. For example, I have arena (dot) football and when I searched the trademarks there are two for the words arena football. But if you review the two marks it's for merchandise only, certain types only.

My point being, without getting into a lot of detail, tons of the same words have trademarks therefore just don't interfere with the mark.

Of course i'm speaking of generic words and not a word like Google ect...

•••
Sigh... spent like over a hundred on them...

Back then the year 2000 (when I started online biz, mainly auction / web developing), the story was like,
"When somebody registered a trademark, the companies would have to pay a hefty commission to get them back. It's a big Hooray for that somebody!"

I still don't get it, if there are 2 companies with "ABC" trademark, who has the right over it? They do it geographically or there's an organization governing the whole world?

I'm thinking to create a dummy account and transfer all these questionable domains to this dummy account.

Or somebody Dare enough to take these chances? I would sell them at a bargain. You'll be shocked to know these names, one is 3-letter domain, with 2-letter extension.

•••
No worries, my friend.

Trust me, we've all been there. :$::ahhh:

Yep, this is an excellent community.

I'm sure that you'll be contributing your wealth of knowledge in no time.

Best,

Eriq

•••
I have registered over a hundred, 6 domains are my headaches, 4 of them without questions are trademark infringement. Among the 4, 3 are the BIG things we see everyday in daily newspapers and tv ads. The 4th one is the leading bank in the world.

Another 2, abbreviations of popular terms, kind of like (Yea I can't reveal these 2 words, am now so worried of the legal guys come after me haha) but similar to where Coca Cola implicitly trademarked the word "Coke" although they didn't, because I guess Pepsi won't let them, LOL.

Trademark is always a funny thing to fully comprehend if we think of it.

Take for example, if a guy called Andy, registered AIBM.com, he phrased it as Andy Is Bat-Man, for hobby purpose. Then suddenly he started to sell some electronic accessories using this domain, would IBM go and chase him?

Maybe we all know it without saying out lod, trademark, is just a legal rule game, where the RICH people consistently manipulate to their own maximum benefits.

•••
" my head just exploded "

all these trademarks really hurts my head . just when i thought i found something, ... then, naaah .. could be a trademark

question : about all that 3 / 4 letters domains you guys have, aren't those trademarked ? .. like "aarp" .tld

•••
I was asking the same thing, seems like nobody could answer, ppl just base on broad assumption, don't touch the very famous trademarks and you'll do fine.

abc is very likely a trademark of a news portal (american broadcasting company), but google has registered few abc tld extensions, seems fine, and abc.com belongs to disney.

If a guy named kenny f christensen, could he register kfc.name for his blogging site?

My guts feeling tells, if you're a multi billion company, they won't touch you, but if you're a lone ranger without deep pocket to hire good lawyers, good luck. My broad assumption.

•••
Back