IT.COM

discuss What I learned in the last week about domainers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
What a week. As many of you know I had a huge sale this month to a celebrity. I did an article with @Domain Shane The entire article was a "how to" on how I made a huge sale and how you can do the same.
Here is what I learned.
  • Domainers are jealous petty people.
  • Keyboard tough people like to DM me and say things they would never say to my face
  • Thank God there are some really cool people that come to my defense!
  • People from countries outside of the US have thrown some insults at me that I don't understand.
  • My fellow domainers are literally upset that I sold a domain for a lot of money and I don't know why - isn't that the goal for all of us?
  • I have been ridiculed for losing my job like I deserve it because I sold the name for so much? I don't see the connection
  • My job as an IT manager was garbage and that's all I could get with my low IQ? (I have a degree and was summa cum laude - look it up if you don't know)
  • I shouldn't talk about my sales
  • I left money on the table
  • I didn't get enough money
  • I ripped off the buyer
  • I rip people off by offering low prices for names I want to buy. Um - yes. Who pays full retail for anything they want to resell? I am not an end user. I don't force anyone to sell me anything. If you don't like the price we shake hands and walk away.
  • I had a broker who couldn't get an offer on two domains I hired him to sell,one of them hatred.com, attempting to insult me with a goose and duck reference? He also tried to impress me with his sales this year (none of them mine)
So again, this post will fill with haters and arguments. I am asking that you please refrain from saying anything negative. None of you know me personally and I have never ever stolen anything from any of you.
I am sad for this community, you have no idea what kind of scum is lurking here.
Instead of insulting me for whatever reason you deem necessary - go out and sell some names to end users. Its that simple, stop using me as way to escape the reality of your poor or low sales. Start sending emails and cold calling, that's what I do and it works.
I was trying to help you - all of you! Its that simple, and you turned it into a circus of hell. Go back and read the article and try to replicate.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think everyone in this thread should just relax and watch this ASMR video. This video will help you melt away stress..Relaxxx!!!!

Last edited:
•••
Not the best counter since this is a ethics question. If a domainer say must sell my domain for what they paid because their wife has cancer, it's almost insulting to offer the seller 5% (roughly what the seller actually paid) given the perceived loss. Condoning ethics violations is just as bad as committing them IMO

Actually, I'm not even trying to argue or debate but trying to understand why it matters what price uglydork set his domains for. If someone comes along and wants to buy it at that price, that is between them. It is up to uglydork and whoever to negotiate the price for the domain, regardless of whatever uglydork says he put into it.

That's what I'm trying to understand is why this matters so much to you and is considered an ethics violation? If uglydork said he paid $10 million for a domain and that was his costs (it's not unusual to figure in total business costs), what would it matter if someone just wants to pay $10k and uglydork accepts that?

Condoning ethics violations is just as bad as committing them IMO

Disagreeing with certain statements and questioning the thinking is not the same as condoning. For that one, I will happily tell you to GFY.

That being said, I am simply trying to understand your position and accusing me of "condoning ethics violations" kinda doesn't help you out.

I'm not the one trying to convince the community that someone here is a 'scam artist' and I kinda like to gather all the facts and perspectives before I join in on any witch hunt, which usually, I do not and I am probably not going to only except to point out your comparison doesn't exactly make sense.

Believe it or not, some people around here take accusations seriously and believe that the accuser needs to prove their point well or stop insisting that the community needs to look at someone in this particular way just because they said so or just because they half-assed their proof....

I have no business relationship with uglydork nor do I know much about him. But it's simply not right to smear someone's name, period, and if you do, there needs to be a damn good reason. Many people won't speak up around here but there are many who feel the same as me.

I wasn't even going to put in my two cents until the jewelry comparison.

Let's rewind a bit and let me explain why what you said doesn't make sense comparing to the uglydork situation.

If I buy some jewelry for $4,000 as an investment, is it ethical for me to market it as I have $9k put into it?

1. Jewelry has a set value based on measurable market prices and cannot be compared to domain names
  2. A seller has the right to figure in any business expenses or time invested into the asking price as well
  3. Did uglydork have $5k of business expenses? I have no effing idea. It's none of my business. But with the cost of renewals, business expenses such as attempted web development, perhaps loss of advertising, logo design, etc it's not hard to get to $5k worth of expenses with a domain name. Oh..and...this is talking from experience. I've been doing this for YEARS. Is he telling the truth? Is he lying? I have no idea but it's completely plausible. I've known many domainers who have plopped way more than $5k on web development ALONE. It's unreasonable for you to demand him to tell you what his $5k expenses were.

What happens when the buyer finds out the homie hookup included a $5k markup from the initial purchase price? This marketing tactic might be a loophole for the buyer to get a refund in litigation. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer

1. Absolutely nothing. The domain sells for what the buyer wanted to pay for it and for whatever price uglydork and the buyer agreed upon. This isn't jewelry.
  2. It doesn't matter what dollar amount uglydork says he put into the domain. The buyer pays whatever he wants to pay for the final price. This isn't jewelry.

I'm not saying uglydork did or did not purposely deceive people. I'm saying there doesn't seem to be enough proof and right now there is reasonable doubt. Listing a domain at different prices is really not that unusual.

You need to either prove your case with strong evidence or stop the witch hunt. It's just not right for people to be doing that to anyone around here.

Hopefully you understand and appreciate what I'm saying. I would do the same for anyone around here if they were being accused of something.

Last edited:
•••
ugly.png

Perhaps OP ought to take the energy from Milo and invest in some pawn shops in the local ghettos. Perhaps then, only after snowballing energy that gets extracted from desperate people - @imadoer may get the $9k deal to close that OP weaseled out of earlier...

Be sure to put all caps signs on the pawn shop windows that say: WE BUY GOLD.

Last edited:
•••
What I have learnt from this thread is that most domainers are just horse traders, and only interested in acquiring and selling names. They seem to ignore the wealth of other opportunities in the domain industry.

•••
One of the biggest shortcoming of a domainr who only thinks of selling and not buying..
Its give and take policy here..
Domainers who were successful have invested equal amount of sweat and money to where they are today..

Last edited:
•••
Has the whois changed on the name?

•••
@tiawalling - I appreciate the effort you put into your post. I only skimmed what you wrote, maybe I'll respond in detail later, but what it boils down to is this:

What does Hatred.com means to:
@uglydork: $149,500 ($150k sale - $500 investment)
Me: A grilled right hand that's throbbing and keeping me from giving
upload_2017-7-15_2-28-32.png
upload_2017-7-15_2-28-6.png
about this thread.

•••
You need to either prove your case with strong evidence or stop the witch hunt. It's just not right for people to be doing that to anyone around here.

Does anyone else feel my point wasn't made? I thought it was pretty clear.

•••
just because they said so or just because they half-assed their proof....

Was this not enough proof to the point I was trying to make?

upload_2017-7-15_2-38-2.png

upload_2017-7-15_2-40-23.png

upload_2017-7-15_2-43-57.png

That was the only point I was trying to make. A no harm no foul point. I have a problem with lying in sales. Sorry - thus I live with a smaller pay check.

I'm not the one trying to convince the community that someone here is a 'scam artist'

I'm not saying he is a scam artist. I'm not trying to convince anyone anything. I was simply pointing out to some, saying this is all I have put into it -- not making a dime, means something to those of us here who operate that way.

Last edited:
•••
I think we need someone to sell Love.com for $150,000 and start an alternative thread. :)

Is love worth more than hatred by the way?

•••
Is love worth more than hatred by the way?

It's worth more than LOVé.com but that's because all of the hatred towards IDNs.

According to Namebio...

upload_2017-7-15_3-16-29.png

Also, Hatred.com sold for more than all Love.TLD reported sales on NameBio combined. This is the genius of UglyDork. Not the questionable incident I pointed out,
which UD has yet take ownership of.

upload_2017-7-15_3-20-55.png

upload_2017-7-15_3-21-16.png

•••
@tiawalling - I appreciate the effort you put into your post. I only skimmed what you wrote, maybe I'll respond in detail later, but what it boils down to is this:

@Grilled....I skimmed through 12 pages of this post trying to remember what the heck did I write!
Care to refresh my memory?

•••
•••
I made $146,000 in one sale
That's all I really need to write - let that sink in

•••
I reckon you were paid for the publicity, and not for the name. :)

•••
•••
I made $146,000 in one sale
That's all I really need to write - let that sink in

.... meanwhile I'm down a towel, a floor mat, and a few $$$ in medical expenses for participating in this thread. But my morals are strong (they have to be when you have Jesus in your avatar though)

Information is information. I think UD got the point that times are tough for some, and some actually sell domains at non inflated costs just to make ends meet. I don't expect him to make that mistake again after the grilling.

Even though, I'm down some feeling in my hand, UD contribution to the community by sharing details of his sale will have lasting positive effects for all (even more than his mishap in representing purchase price to his peers)

I've quoted several times the high price this domain has fetched. It assigns value to digital assets by giving a recent high end data point. It also shows an innovative strategy and success story of reaching out to high net worth individuals with hopes of their biggest sale. This approach, can, and will be replicated. Thus despite the heatedness displayed in UDs peer-to-peer ethics, I still thank and appreciate UD for sharing.

He handled the heat - and stayed in the kitchen.

•••
@Grilled....I skimmed through 12 pages of this post trying to remember what the heck did I write!
Care to refresh my memory?

In the future, use the NP internal search:

ie:

upload_2017-7-15_14-43-40.png

upload_2017-7-15_14-44-19.png

•••
Domainers are varied and interesting people.
I've just read a post where the poster put running shoes and wedding dresses in a close juxtaposition. Well it made me smile.

•••
Lying is wrong. No one can justify lying. Doesn't matter if you're in sales, doesn't matter if you need to make money. Lying is not much different than stealing. And lastly, liars are not to be respected. If someone can't tell the truth then they should just keep their mouth shut but must never lie.

I received an inquiry on a domain, I bought it for low $xxx and if I would tell the potential buyer my purchase price he would say that I can't justify my mid $xxxx asking price. So instead of lying and saying that I bought it for low $xxxx I told him that I have bought hundreds of domains but this was my most expensive purchase, and it's the truth. Just giving you guys an example of what to do when you can't reveal the truth but don't want to lie.

•••
Why do we even consider mentioning the purchase price? It may have taken hours to find the name, and we should put a value on that.

It's like metal detecting, it may take a week to find a gold sovereign. If I sell it, do I say I found it, or do I sell it for its estimated value?

•••
The words that @Grilled typed with his @Grilled hands in this thread, are something that every person from every walk of life should read, understand and act upon.

People need to realize the importance of ethics and credibility.

•••
What I paid for a domain does not affect the sale price in any way- period
If you don't like me hit the block button and don't deal with me.
I have never stolen a dime from anyone and have never ripped off anyone
I buy and sell - that it

•••
I buy and sell - that it

True, but in an industry that sells intangible things trust is mandatory.

I do not agree with taking advantage of people in need " buying but you must be desperate to sell " which equals " I will be taking advantage of you because I know you are in need ". THAT is capitalism gone wrong.

Is there nothing wrong with that? I don't not know. Ethically there is, at least for me.

If you have an idea of what karma is or the more western way to say it " what goes around comes around " , I am sure you would not want to be on the other side of it having a wife and 2 kids. Think about that for a second.

There was one person here on the forum...cocky as hell. We all know how he ended up.

•••
I buy and sell - that it

Hi, my comments were not about you specifically, just a message to everyone reading.

I actually congratulated you when you first asked for advice regarding this sale in a thread. No hate whatsoever.. and you're absolutely right, purchase price does not affect the sale price in any way .. I sold a domain last month for $2000 that I paid less than $2 for.

We work hard to find these domains and it takes a lot of time + electricity bills too. We also have to sell many domains for a loss or let them expire and we need to cover that loss by selling for a massive ROI.

My statements were in light of the above posts by @Josh R and @Grilled and also the conversation with @promo .. no one is accusing you of stealing anything, you also didn't rip off Milo, no doubt about that. You made a great sale by contacting the right guy, I congratulate you again for that sale.

It's just that, and it's not for you only, but for the million members of NamePros and those who are reading this thread but haven't signed up at NP yet, that whatever you do, whatever you buy and sell, just please don't lie. When you will get caught, it will hurt. And even if you don't get caught, it's just not right. Lying and claiming I paid this much for that and I won't make a dime if I sell for $9k will obviously won't help as others stated, people will pay you what they want to pay, they don't care if you're selling for a loss. So many people lie nowadays and it's so common that no one trusts each other so if you'll lie about the purchase price, most people will just laugh and say that this guy is stupid that he paid so much for a crappy domain. So why lie? ask yourself @everyone

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back