IT.COM

advice What I am doing wrong? Enabling Whois privacy but still plenty of sales calls

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. Over the past few weeks,I have registered some .com domain names with exabytes.com who offered free Whois privacy.

However, for many of the domain names, I am still getting phone calls and emails offering me services...I think they get the data from Tucows or something like that?

Does anyone know how to prevent this in the future? I understand using a dummy email, alternate phone number etc. BUT somewhere in the domain registration I want to put my real information.

I usually have an owner contact with my real information and then an admin contact, and put the dummy information in the admin contact, but still, they are getting the real information for some of the domains.

I just want to avoid these marketing phone calls and emails.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••
Any feedback on Epik? Is this problem of information sharing as likely with them as these other more mass market registrars?

I am not a domain reseller, I am not smart enough, I just need to register some domains for personal use.

•••
Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. Over the past few weeks,I have registered some .com domain names with exabytes.com who offered free Whois privacy.

However, for many of the domain names, I am still getting phone calls and emails offering me services...I think they get the data from Tucows or something like that?

Does anyone know how to prevent this in the future? I understand using a dummy email, alternate phone number etc. BUT somewhere in the domain registration I want to put my real information.

I usually have an owner contact with my real information and then an admin contact, and put the dummy information in the admin contact, but still, they are getting the real information for some of the domains.

I just want to avoid these marketing phone calls and emails.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!
Go with namesilo ,free privacy under 9 bucks renewal 839 transfers and no BS

•••
what is 839 transfers?

can I transfer my domains from exabytes to name silo for a competitive price?

No BS...do they respect customer information?

How is their customer service? Exabytes has customer service only M-F 9-5 in Singapore time zone :( its tough for us here in the U.S

•••
get the auth code unlock the domain and the put in for transfer ,you will get a confirm from namesilo to accept to the registry click yes and the transfer will happen within 5 days ,sometimes the leaving registry will let you push it right out ,email with any problems also you will have to pay for transfer but your domain will get another year renewal tacked on

•••
thank you
@ben pedri

no point transferring it out now because I just registered them with exabytes a few weeks ago :(

so I have almost a year of paid registration left...

any DOWNSIDE to leaving it with exabytes for this period now that it is registered?

I am not looking to sell the domain but maybe sign up for web hosting or email at most during this period - with some other provider of course!

•••
Regarding this issue - Registrar doesn't matter at all.

•••
time rolls around pretty quick ,just take care of it after the 60 days iccann holding period ,,a plus to bringing it to godaddy is thatpeople are keen to that brand ,so you may sell a domain for up to 33percent more depending on the price. some if you don't need free privayv go with gd

Last edited:
•••
Exabytes doing that to mee couple weeks ago,but I think thats my fault about the time I make payment. Thanks for shared mate :)

•••
I have a lot of landing pages with BIN/OFFER for the domains I want to sell.

About a month a go, a buyer emailed wanting to purchase a valuable dotcom of mine.

Somehow, I slipped up and had no landing page for the domain his company wanted for a new startup.

The only way he was able to make contact was by checking the whois.

HOOT

•••
maybe the people who sell privacy...... sold your phone number.

just saying,
if nobody else has said it

imo....

•••
Somehow, I slipped up and had no landing page for the domain his company wanted for a new startup.

The only way he was able to make contact was by checking the whois.

HOOT

many sales come via whois lookups

that's why it's important to have accurate contact data

imo....

•••
Just because you recently went privacy doest mean your email gets erased from all the lists circling around

•••
in same exact boat....i would pay a hefty fee for a way to stop all calls from india....tried all kinds of apps like mr number but they are using local numbers that they change all the time so spam lists dont work...

•••
This is the very good option

•••
Hi desidude,

One thing you can do is get Google Voice:
https://voice.google.com/about
https://support.google.com/voice/answer/115061?hl=en

Change your whois Phone # to the number they assign you, then turn off notify and just check it daily to see if there is anything you need to reply to.
Otherwise it's just like a voicemail / message.

I dont have a problem with my register selling my info (GoDaddy), but the spammers mine new registration lists for the number.
It cut down on my spam calls for new regs by 90%.
A few still get through, but not like it was, 3 to 4 calls a day. Now it's a couple a week.

Just one option that has worked for me.
Your mileage may vary.

Good luck.

Peace,
Cy

•••
your info was provided to few clients of them who did contract with them maybe.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back