Dynadot

discuss What happened with .org / .co?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Am I the only one dropping these tlds completely?

Have had zero sales in the last 2 years or so and I've given up on them completely. Holding only .com and a few good .xyz. I used to sell a lot of .co and especially .org for 4-fig, now I'd be glad to get an xxx sale at least.

What about you?

( Note, I know that occasionally there are great sales in either tld, no need to mention that. But even that's rare now and mostly works for highly sought names, otherwise the middle market has been quite silent... )

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.ORG is my best performing extension after .COM.

I just sold a (2) word one earlier this week on Afternic for $7500.

Brad

•••
Correct me if I am wrong. Isn't .org intended for the non profit organizations. Why would a non profit organization pay a hefty sum to a domain squatter? Doesn't make sense to me. And I have never really liked .co/.ws type of domains. :)

Just because an organization is legally organized as a non-profit organization does not mean that they do not make a profit nor do not have millions upon millions of dollars in cash to spend on marketing and IT initiatives. Check out the compensation packages of top non-profit CEOs and you'll see they get paid just as much as many for-profit CEOs. Some even have similar perks like private jets, etc.

I've sold quite a few .org domains to non-profit organizations that simply paid the 4 or 5-figure BIN prices shown on the landing page. Non-profit does not mean poor nor does it mean they are unconcerned about their brand image online.

Separately, an organization need not be a non-profit to register and use a .org domain name. The extension is wide open to the public just like .com and .net and other gTLDs.

Last edited:
•••
I'm holding one of the best .CO portfolios, although very small in numbers (under 200) which includes Business.CO, Finance.CO, News.CO, Internet.CO, Hosting.CO and more. I'm seeing there are inquiries flowing in as per the monthly report I receive from Afternic. However, I'm yet to receive any reasonable offer on those domains.

In short, I'm seeing slowness in .CO sales especially this year.

Last edited:
•••
I'm with you. I've tried .co and I can't make it work. I don't have a big investment in .org but have had little luck there either (although I do have a couple .orgs that make good parking money so I'll hold them forever).

.xyz is hot for me but the upcoming price increase will probably mess up my "strategy."

To be honest I've never liked .co as an end user. It's just too similar to .com, and it's just asking for trouble IMHO. I'd way rather have an .xyz than a .co for my own business.

Again speaking as an end user, I really like .app, .pro, and .link. But to date I have basically no sales with those tlds and the adoption just doesn't seem to be there.

.pro seems to be heating up just a little lately. I've seen Swetha sell a handful for good $, I have sold a few, and the competition for expiring .pro names is increasing (at auction especially). It's an old TLD and doesn't get a lot of love from registrars though.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not into .co so hard to comment. My gut feeling tells me the moment has passed and the cool kids club is abandoning it.
I believe the same. Xyz is the new cool.

Who would have thought that 5+ years ago ? ( except @DNGear )

Edit: .co is easy to confuse with .com, and due to it email also can go to the wrong site ... bad for business.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I tried to develop Web-designs.net and other dotOrg but no luck. I found that Google do not like hyphenated domains.

Absolutely NOBODY likes hyphenated domains. Except the Germans.

•••
I'd say that's more of personal experience. That doesn't mean that .nets, .orgs, or whatever doesn't rank in Google or else we wouldn't see those extensions show up.

This is the correct take.

Google doesn't care about hyphens or tlds. But hyphenated domains and those with something other than .com are less trusted by humans right now (and tend to be newer), which has second order effects (less trust, newer domain = less links) which makes them seem to rank more poorly.

•••
i think .co sales fall is because .CO registry made most medicore domains as premium and all you guys registry for $1 or $3 each are gargage. Basically registry may be banking on the premium .co sale.

•••
Aftermarket sales stats for .org the last couple of years doesnt seem that bad.

Last edited:
•••
I tried to develop Web-designs.net and other dotOrg but no luck. I found that Google do not like hyphenated domains.
wrong. don't blame the domain blame yourself

•••
I'm glad to see Pro gaining traction, I've held several over the years. We recently got one under payment plan for $2500 it's our first Pro sale. I've dropped many but still have Lawncare / pro and Hired / pro

Those are great names. I have Hired // app incidentally. Hope we both sell them. 👍

$2500 is a great sale, congratulations!

I think I have around 200 pro domains right now. Some of them seem really good (honest // pro, flea // pro, serverless // pro, drop // pro), but it's so hard to know what will sell. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
•••
This is the correct take.

Google doesn't care about hyphens or tlds. But hyphenated domains and those with something other than .com are less trusted by humans right now (and tend to be newer), which has second order effects (less trust, newer domain = less links) which makes them seem to rank more poorly.

Fully agreed there. When I did more web development and would build new websites on top of expired domains with an existing backlink profile, I was off to the races. org? No problem. nl? Lead the way. Two hyphens? Time to see if I can get two times my money spent back. .com.au? How did that silly American get that(and profited)?

Google(and SEO in general) doesn't give two 💩 about any of that stuff, unless those backlinks are super suspect. Humans are a different story.

Last edited:
•••
.ORG is my best performing extension after .COM.

I just sold a (2) word one earlier this week on Afternic for $7500.

Brad
When did you buy that 2-word if I may ask? Acquisition price?

•••
I'm with you. I've tried .co and I can't make it work. I don't have a big investment in .org but have had little luck there either (although I do have a couple .orgs that make good parking money so I'll hold them forever).

.xyz is hot for me but the upcoming price increase will probably mess up my "strategy."

To be honest I've never liked .co as an end user. It's just too similar to .com, and it's just asking for trouble IMHO. I'd way rather have an .xyz than a .co for my own business.

Again speaking as an end user, I really like .app, .pro, and .link. But to date I have basically no sales with those tlds and the adoption just doesn't seem to be there.

.pro seems to be heating up just a little lately. I've seen Swetha sell a handful for good $, I have sold a few, and the competition for expiring .pro names is increasing (at auction especially). It's an old TLD and doesn't get a lot of love from registrars though.

I'm glad to see Pro gaining traction, I've held several over the years. We recently got one under payment plan for $2500 it's our first Pro sale. I've dropped many but still have Lawncare / pro and Hired / pro

•••
•••
Absolutely NOBODY likes hyphenated domains. Except the Germans.
Yeah I agree however can be defensive purchases also. @rumevic selling them like hotcakes maybe can provide further general insights about this segment

•••
I bought around 490 .co domains last year in july during epik promo , i did it as a experiment , but it was worst experience i had in domaining !!
Most domains were two good keywords and taken minimum in 8 extenstion as per dotdb , i put price ranges from $250 - $400 and was stressful year waiting the .co sales and was no sales lol ,
i was watching them at google analytics and even from colombia no visitors or traffic lol
i reduced later the prices under $ 200 and hardy did 3 sales and make it break even 🙏 . and the rest of domains expired . I took a lesson and will not repeat it . lol

The first year of the pademic 2020 the .co was shining star , but later faded .

Note : the single disctionary words in .co are valuable and still has future .

Last edited:
•••
2022 is not .co's year, that's for sure. Last year I had 11 .co sales, this year I have only 5 so far. The STR is slowly decreasing from an excellent 4% to a still-okay 2.7%. First I thought that the root cause for less sales is that I've been spending much less time on domaining since last May (2-3 hours daily --> 1 hour weekly) and mainly focusing on a niche instead of registering junk .co names, but I guess xyz is the new .co, and that's the main reason :) Anyway, I still 4x my money on my .co spending, so I'm still happy with the results.

Last edited:
•••
I still like co, never really held .orgs.

single words are really only worthwhile imo

•••
Citation needed...

•••
Org does well for me. I'm seeing a picking up, not a dropping off.

•••
I'd say that's more of personal experience. That doesn't mean that .nets, .orgs, or whatever doesn't rank in Google or else we wouldn't see those extensions show up.

•••
I still like co, never really held .orgs.

single words are really only worthwhile imo
Yep, unless .com.

Otherwise it seems some 2-word xyz have been selling lately. Not many though.

Edit: .ORGs used to be good, but now they are dead for me.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back