analysis What extensions sold in 2019?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
So I spent some time and looked at the number of reported sales by extension, of course .com was far and away the leader. .Org was second and .net third. Surprisingly .Ai was fourth. There were many domain extensions that had 0 to 9, there are some on the list where I did include a […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
thx

sorry i miss .de

and there are many many good sales in Germany ( .de )

•••
One could assume that the percentage of unreported sales does not change radically from year to year so that one could draw some conclusions based on reported sales versus an estimate of aftermarket domains by extension. However, none of my 2019 domain sales sold via Afternic appear in Namebio - all .Com varying from mid-$Xxx to low $xxxx (most years there are more low $xxx sales but strangely I had none in 2019). Seeing only a couple hundred reported .TV sales for the entire year (across probably at least a thousand times that many aftermarket domains) seems to be consistent with with what I have seen from .TV over the last decade. I did have an end user .TV inquiry late in the year (run a business on the equivalent .Com) but their offer was mid-$xxx on a 2007 registration.

•••
Because all Afternic transactions are private, they don't distribute this data like Sedo.

•••
Thanks @equity78 (although a little sad you beat me to press as my next blog post was to be on this topic, largely - but I will alter enough so not overlap).

A few reflections from the stats you presented
  • Big jump in .uk so now substantially more sales in that than in .co.uk, significant change from previous year.
  • Quite a few down but I wonder if part of that is more sales are happening at places that do not NameBio report. Like if market share moved Sedo to DAN the market could look down but perhaps really up. Just a speculation.
  • In general not that encouraging for new gTLDs.
  • The change in how .ai names resold may be part of explanation, but clearly a great year for the extension.
  • It seems .co and .io largely stable. Might have expected more up.
  • Although .top down, that seems to be that they stopped NameBio reporting beginning August
Thanks for a great report!

Bob

Last edited:
•••
It's only a feeling, but I think I have seen many .co domains dropped this year also. It would be interesting to compare the quantity sold with the movement in size of the registry portfolio.

•••
Thank you @equity78.
In my opinion, this 2019 sales report is very helpful and important to keep an eye on while we getting into another journey the "2020" for the domain industry.

If the trending continues on the same direction , ( which usually happens in this industry) this report somehow project a lot of shinning of what to expect during 2020 in terms of domain sales by each extension.
I'm taking notes already!

•••
being also into esports.. love to see .gg sales are growing

•••
•••
being also into esports.. love to see .gg sales are growing

Yes but I wonder if the names that get regged are not premium type names domain investors would register. A lot of team names are made up and maybe premium names won't sell as much or as fast.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back