Dynadot

opinion What does it mean to have a Trademark ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What does it mean to have a Trademark ?

• 3 votes
  • Ended 8 years ago
  • Final results

Michael Ehrhardt

Top Member
Impact
What does it mean to have a Trademark ?

Very simple :

A Trademark can be national or international

You can register a TM for different nice classes

A Trademark can be a word mark or a word figurative mark

this doesnt mean you own the domains if you have a TM

Every TM can be cancelled
Every TM should be cancelled

For example :

Apple

there are 467 results for Apple TM,s and these are not all by Apple Computer !!!

https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/trefferliste

so if your business is related to apple and you have a TM

you still can own or register apple domains

you also can apply to cancel a TM ( up to your budget ) give it a try for just 300.-$

i am fighting the german olympic team ( Thomas Bach - President of the Olympic Games )
because they have a TM for the slogan ( Wir fΓΌr Deutschland ) since 2012
this is my slogan ( online-shop) since 6 july 2010

My opinion is :

nobody should have a TM

first come first save

i found these information at the german Trademark department
if you need help i can translate that

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.06.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.07.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 12.07.44 PM.png

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm not sure I understand what the thread's question is,
-is it 'what does a TM mean'?
-is it 'do we even need TMs'?
or is it a thread to condemn trademarks' existence?

if that answers the question,
I do believe TMs should exist. Since most people don't respect other people's work and brands there is this kind of law to enforce that.

Of course, there are a lot of times that people try to get advantage of the TM laws (like trying to TM exclusively a very common word) but usually that fails .. just see how many common word TMs say 'failed' or 'inactive' or 'cancelled'

I hope I understood your question and my answer made sense
Thread still needs a fine tune though, to make it easier for people to understand what is it you're asking.

•••
My Point :

you can not have exclusive rights on Apple ( Banana Citron Donuts Elephant or Facebook ) or whatever

that,s generic terms !

all these TM,s can be cancelled
all these TM,s should be cancelled

•••
but, they don't have exclusive right over the generic use of 'apple' only for whatever they have registered their TM on.
Surely they can't cancel the TM. How a company can protect their brand from misuse?

•••
but, they don't have exclusive right over the generic use of 'apple' only for whatever they have registered their TM on.
Surely they can't cancel the TM. How a company can protect their brand from misuse?

there should be better way to register a domain
like to register a car

i guess we are smart enough to find good alternates

•••
What does it mean?

It means that legally the mark has been determined to represent a unique source of the class(es) of goods and services for which it was registered.

Classes are key.

You can't register a word for the class corresponding to its generic meaning. You can't register "Apple" to sell apples. You can register it for electronics because apple (the fruit) has nothing to do with electronics. You could register "elephant" to sell pizza. You could register "airplane" for a financial services company. Used that way, it's no longer generic.

It's fine for someone else to use those terms to sell apples, elephants or airplanes, not electronics, pizza or financial services.

•••
a trademark means that you can successfully prevent other people in the related country to use a trademark that you registerd for a certain group of uses

•••
index.jpg
q.jpg

QUOTE="frank-germany, post: 5481121, member: 978948"]a trademark means that you can successfully prevent other people in the related country to use a trademark that you registerd for a certain group of uses[/QUOTE]

there are TM,s which are international
if you trademark something , it means you want a monopol

the point is :

apple can,t be trademarked ( it should be cancelled )
it is just wrong

in my case

i am fighting the german olympic team because they trademarked the slogan :
Wir fΓΌr Deutschland in April 2012
i open an online shop ( Wir fΓΌr Deutschland ) 6 July 2010
q.jpg
index.jpg

so if i want to print stamps or whatever the post office tells me i can,t because the olympic team has a TM

what is wrong on this ?
we had a settlement in 2014 and they told me : you can use Wir fΓΌr Deutschland
BUT
i can't because the DOSB ( olympic team ) has a TM

the term DEUTSCHLAND has an absolutely ,,Schutzhindernis,, with means you can,t TM this
but the olympic team got it
it means the TM department doest check it they just want make money

Thomas Bach the president of the olymic team ( now president of the olympic games ) is an
Schmarotzer ( parasit )

so guess what
i don't like TM,s and i will fight them

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:
•••
Just to make clear one thing,
you want to print stamps for fun or for profit?
that's where the line is drawn... ie. where money is

if you want to make money off a TM term , you need to come to an agreement with the TM holder so they get a slice off your earnings (if they allowed it at all)

Personally, I don't see what you see wrong in all of this.
I would understand if you wanted to print stamps or shirts and give them for free to help your country in the olympic games and that organization stopped you from doing it but if we're talking about profit then I see nothing wrong in how the system currently works.

•••
ok

now very simple

you have an idea ( 2010 )
you invest a lot of money ( 50k euro )
you try to get a TM but the department tells you you can't ( Schutzhindernis ) ( protection obstacle )
you go to an lawyer try to get an TM even they tell you you can't ( i tried 3 different lawyer )

than comes the olympic team 2012 ( supported from the government with 150 million euro )
they use the exact same slogan like you do
they get a TM !

so what is wrong on this ?

when i got my idea it was for Sport , Politic and merchandising

when we had the settlement , they told me i can use the slogan
this TM forbid me to use my own slogan

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 31
•••
That is a special case Michael. Sorry to say that, most probably, you won't find the answer or the solution here :/

•••
That is a special case Michael. Sorry to say that, most probably, you won't find the answer or the solution here :/
i know
but it is always good to learn
thx
i had a meeting with Horst Seehofer ( second man in germany ) but they don't care

me.jpg

•••
I think TM claims should be possible only if something has no meaning other than a commercial brand. (eg, pepsi, seiko, toyota and so on)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back