Dynadot

What does an average domainer make a year?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was just interested to know an estimate of what an average domainer can make a year. I know you can get lucky and hit a big score, but I'm saying just buying and flipping domain names, with average returns, not every single one at end users prices obviously.what is realistic yearly income?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It helps if you have good domains to sell :)

depends what one considers "good"

the obvious niche domains dont vary greatly in the estimated price. :rolleyes:

•••
depends what one considers "good"

the obvious niche domains dont vary greatly in the estimated price. :rolleyes:

By good I mean Frank Schilling good.

•••
•••
lol ahh if everyday was like christmas. :laugh:

Since Kiwis love Aussies, you can take this opportunity to sell me your good domains at reseller prices. Just a thought.

•••
Since Kiwis love Aussies, you can take this opportunity to sell me your good domains at reseller prices. Just a thought.

lol again, considering what you consider "good" im a poor man with poor domains :/

yup and kiwis love aussies, neighbours, brothers, rivals.

•••
lol again, considering what you consider "good" im a poor man with poor domains :/

yup and kiwis love aussies, neighbours, brothers, rivals.

One of the domains in your signature has the letters AU. That's one already that I would consider good :)

•••
One of the domains in your signature has the letters AU. That's one already that I would consider good :)

thanks, the domains i have listed are the ones i wish to get rid of. i sell stuff i couldnt sell elsewhere at resellers.

•••
So like 100 domains for 10 bucks, sell for 20 a pop, and do that constantly?

That was my big plan when I started out, only to find that out of those 100 domains, you'll likely only sell 10-20. This market is not very liquid.

But it's still very addicting! :sold:

•••
By good I mean Frank Schilling good.

Frank has a lot of crap-to-average domains as well. Just like most other domainers. What he's good at is selling. Also, he's rich enough that he can wait it out for his price.

•••
Honestly, I started out with like $20 to my name and ended up always making huge profits. And, when I say huge profits, I mean huge ROIs, not necessarily that sales happened often... There is a lot to learn in this business, but I think having some good business sense and knowing human behavior and psychology and having a firm grasp of the English language are basic starting points. It's mostly speculative. Either you are in sync with the desires of the universe or you buy crap that no one else wants. Some people know what quality is from day one, some constantly buy crap for years. But, in the end, if you want to make money you have to treat it like a business and always be selling...

I'm just getting back into domaining myself after a few years hiatus. In the past, I mostly picked up some names at registration fee and flipped for $xxx - low $x,xxx sales. Like I said, huge ROIs, but sales were far and few between. But, I wasn't always selling, I was mostly BSing and socializing. ;) Also, if you're living off this money or use it to pay bills or buy that shiny shiny instead of reinvesting it back into the business, you'll never get anywhere, trust me on that one. Get a job, do this on the side. Save, save, save, invest, invest, invest, that's the only way to financial freedom ;)

Last edited:
•••
Wow, I'm impressed.

I registered on this site just for curiosity's sake, and was really expecting just to find a lot of posts giving little info and just trying to market whatever they could. However, after reading a few threads, I have to say there are some quality members here providing really good, and honest, answers to other members questions. Looks like I just found one of those "gem of a community" forums.

Cheers to you all :)

•••
I think like in most industries, it's probably a very small percentage of people that make most of the money (or any money at all). From everything I've gathered, one has to treat it like a business. It takes a lot of planning, research, and commitment to be successful in any business. The domain business is no exception. It seems that many people treat it more as a hobby than a real business. But I think if there were no successful domainers at all, than there wouldn't be anyone doing it.

•••
:talk:

maybe question should be....

what's an average domainer?

•••
I used to use the other strategy - high-volume flipping at low margins. In a 3-year period from 2006-2008, I sold about 5,000 domains, mostly on the domain forums. It was an adventure, but it was also a lot of work for not that much reward. Anyway, in recent years - with the economy crashing - most of those sales have dried up, so I wouldn't recommend going that way. Good luck.
@randomo What do you mean dried up? As long as there's domains in demand why would sales stop from resellers?

Last edited:
•••
@randomo What do you mean dried up? As long as there's domains in demand why would sales stop from resellers?
randomo was last seen: Mar 12, 2018

Press "1" for hold music, otherwise please remain on the line.

•••
According to my efty account, where i track everything from all my purchases, renewals, commissions etc i am currently at $1.2k profit this year, however i could have a long dry spell and not sell anything for ages and lose it all on renewals.

•••
I invested $300 last Q4. Sold a 277 and a few small xx/x ones. I would have earned $60 if one of my payment received email not going into trash bin :/
It took too much time to read the names. So I'm learning python now to do auto process some data. It's been a few months. I haven't been able to scrape the data I want yet. :dead::hungover::hurting:

•••
Frank has a lot of crap-to-average domains as well. Just like most other domainers. What he's good at is selling. Also, he's rich enough that he can wait it out for his price.

He has to have made a fortune from purely parking in the good ol' days. Probably still makes some serious dough in parking alone considering the size of his portfolio. He has the means to say NO until the offer is crazy enough.

•••
the only way to make money as a domain name investor is to develop your own strategy that works for you

Horses for courses

Mind you i have yet to make money as a domain name investor

But then i view domain name investing as surfer

Eg you dont go to the huge wave

The huge wave comes to you

That way you enjoy the ride

•••
randomo was last seen: Mar 12, 2018

Press "1" for hold music, otherwise please remain on the line.
lol oh well, keepin it movin

•••
lol oh well, keepin it movin

I'm baaaaack ....

And by "dried up", I don't mean that premium domains weren't selling. I mean fewer people were willing to take a flyer on the decent-but-not-great domains I was selling. That type of domain seemed to become less liquid as people had less disposable income in a down economy.

I do a lot less domaining these days. I've trimmed my portfolio from about a thousand sort-of-interesting domains to a couple hundred of the most promising ones. I make a decent sale now and then from buyers contacting me or from targeting a few leads; I'm no longer posting long sale lists at $xx prices on forums like this one.

•••
I'm baaaaack ....
lol! :laugh:

And by "dried up", I don't mean that premium domains weren't selling. I mean fewer people were willing to take a flyer on the decent-but-not-great domains I was selling. That type of domain seemed to become less liquid as people had less disposable income in a down economy.

I do a lot less domaining these days. I've trimmed my portfolio from about a thousand sort-of-interesting domains to a couple hundred of the most promising ones. I make a decent sale now and then from buyers contacting me or from targeting a few leads; I'm no longer posting long sale lists at $xx prices on forums like this one.

ah..I see what you mean. I've learned some more since postin this question and even tho selling this way serves a purpose, end-user prices are way more worth while anyways. :$::$::$:
Thanks for explaining @randomo B-)

•••
With over a million registered users here on NP I'm sure that most had never made a real profit.

Likely scenario in many of those cases:

• Hears about domains being a way to make money.
• Buys a crap ton of inventory or makes purchases in general without understanding the market or reading the forums.
• Flounders for awhile then gives up without many if any sales.
• Total money made = (hint: starts with a MINUS sign)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back