IT.COM

discuss What do you think are the top 3 ccTLD's to invest in at the moment.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Hey Folks

So I was wondering....

As some of you already know, I am a big fan of ccTLD. Especially ccTLD's in emerging markets.

What do you guys think are the top 3 ccTLD's to invest in currently?

My Picks are:
.co.za (obvioulsy ;))
.in
.ng

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I will. Tentative list:
  1. .fr
  2. .in/.it
  3. .co.za
In no particular order. I left out some 'obvious' extensions because I think the registries are not trustworthy enough at this point.

I am willing to trust you on that, aren't you from SA ? But: .co.za is a very old extension and is quite mature, certainly the strongest African TLD. In my experience all the great names are taken. Drops in .co.za are competitive (you know what I am talking about).
I have mined the .co.za zone extensively.

Yep, I am from SA. :) Thats why I have a slight bias to the .co.za ccTLD.

You are correct that the .co.za ccTLD is rather mature however Internet access has been the biggest limiting factor. Over the past few years the amount of people that have Internet access in SA has grown significantly. I've noticed that this year more and more domainers are getting on the .co.za action (a lot of non local domainers) and these Gems I talk off are starting to get harder to find. None the less, they are still there... for example, I was able to hand reg stuff like BTCwallet.co.za and CoinWallet.co.za and hypothyroidism.co.za like a month ago..

Last edited:
•••
Is .in being voted so much simply because India is so huge? I agree that it will become one of the best.

I don't expect extensions like .co.uk or .co.za will become as good as some others because they seem limited due to there being a co and then the country.

•••
•••
•••
.us (sleeping giant)
.co (tried and true)
.cc (rising star)

•••
•••
lol. Indians are really promoting their extension...nice strategy.

•••
•••
Invested in .co.uk / .co in past and have earned good from it.

But Now Investing only in .IN & .CO.IN

Reasons for the Same

1) Fastest Major Growing Economy in The World.
2) 2nd Most Populous Country/Internet Users In World after China..
3) Indian Government’s New Slogan - Switch from .COM to .IN
4) Signs of Major Explosion around the corner - 6 to 12 months max.
5) It can be used for variety of meanings, dot IN for dot INternational, INternet, INcorporated , INC , INsurance , many possibilities exist and of course dot IN for dot INdia!
6) Around 2 Million Domains are registered so there are plenty of gems still available to hand-reg.

•••
Is .in being voted so much simply because India is so huge?.

it had been large for a while by now

but still nobody cared to be .in

•••
•••
Is .in being voted so much simply because India is so huge? I agree that it will become one of the best.

I don't expect extensions like .co.uk or .co.za will become as good as some others because they seem limited due to there being a co and then the country.

please read this presentation at domainx - http://our.in/domainx-2016-in-short-domains-investment-opportunities-presentation/

It covers some of the important aspects..
I can also add few more..
1) .IN registration ,renewal and transfer prices are a way competitive than several extensions available
2) .IN can be used as a hack like honda.in/europe , honda.in/amerca..etc , also can be used as a domain hack like Berl.in
3) Great brand potential
4) its backed by government , no games like pump and dump played by several new gtld registries themselves
5) massive internet infrastructure growth in India ... I can tell the whole eco system is fully ready for growth

I cant see a reason why .IN can't be the next hot extension.. anyone has any reasons , feel free to share. i want to understand the risks too..

•••
I have done very well with .IO and hopefully will continue to do well with it.

Also, .CC and .CO

So those are my three...

•••
•••
For investment, I'd choose
.com
.net
.org

I perfectly understand the rational of those choosing fast growing and promissing economies such as india, south africa or else.

But if I take the example of .fr we do not have the equivalent of NP, nor do we have dedicated market places to sell .fr domains. For me, it's not a good sign.

Below are some stats of transactions reported by namebio since Jan 1 2016

Ext TotalTransactions (k$) NbTransactions
.com 26763 30617
.net 3010 3843
.org 1085 1926
.io 325 523
.de 324 71
.cc 321 502
.co.uk 238 26
.co 171 279
.us 145 121
.nl 139 12
.biz 98 192
.info 90 231
.eu 77 8
.tv 75 116
.xyz 55 115
.hosting 52 1
.club 51 10
.me 47 110
.in 40 13
.to 38 96

If I were speaking german, I would add .de to the list. The rest is a 10 years bet except killer domains like popular single words or 2-3L.

•••
•••
Here we are talking of:

.io
.cc
.co

for real domainers.
Passive domainers can follow the tide a go with user speculations on
.in
.ru
.xyz
such domains are for users and not investors.

•••
•••
Direct .ZA registration is allowed?

Unfortunately not to the general public at this stage.... would have been awesome

•••
.us (sleeping giant)
.co (tried and true)
.cc (rising star)

I used to have some decent .us domains back in the day when they launched... let them all drop, lol. Mainly because I was doing lots of blackhat SEO back in those days trying to "beat" Google...needless to say most of those domains got blacklisted....:laugh:

Last edited:
•••
•••

Having a "co" isn't much of a hinderance...it's pretty much generally accepted that .co.uk is the standard of UK domains and co.za is the standard for SA domains. These have not hindered the uptake and end user appeal from what I can see. Also clear from the namebio sales history for both these ccTLD's.

•••
Having a "co" isn't much of a hinderance...it's pretty much generally accepted that .co.uk is the standard of UK domains and co.za is the standard for SA domains. These have not hindered the uptake and end user appeal from what I can see. Also clear from the namebio sales history for both these ccTLD's.
They are used predominantly in those countries though. Co, io, ly, in, cn, etc have become valuable to people outside of their respective countries. While the majority have grown in value due to the Chip craze, they still have liquidity and general demand across investors. While the .co.za/uk have nice sales, they aren't nearly as prevalent as the shorter ccTLDs among domain investors

•••
I don't think it's solely based on the length however, just a possibility.

•••
Currently-

.com
.io
.in

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back