IT.COM

discuss What do you think are the top 3 ccTLD's to invest in at the moment.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

deez007

The More I Learn The Less I "Know"Top Member
Impact
Hey Folks

So I was wondering....

As some of you already know, I am a big fan of ccTLD. Especially ccTLD's in emerging markets.

What do you guys think are the top 3 ccTLD's to invest in currently?

My Picks are:
.co.za (obvioulsy ;))
.in
.ng

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I also have alot of faith in the .IN cctld - What I'm surprised about though is that .IN is popular with most of the people who have responded here so far..... yet not one has mentioned .co.za yet? - yes I am biased, I admit but head over to namebio.com and checkout the sales history... .co.za prices are on par if not higher than .IN - Not saying one is better than the other, I'm just saying that more people should be paying attention to .co.za - It's a rapidly emerging market.....

•••
•••
@deez007 , I understand where you are coming from in regards to your appetite for .co.za and its always great to see someone whom has faith in their own country extesion. But you should also look at the economies and growth potential of the countries in which the respective extensions represent.

South Africa has a population of around 53 million, whilst India has a population of around 1.25 Billion, soon to overtake China in the next few years as the world's most populous country. Also India is now ranked as the fastest major growing economy in the world....the cctld will rise in conjunction with the country's growth and potential. Im afraid that, if you were to look at long term ROI, then the potential of .co.za is no where near that of .in

Last edited:
•••
Also India is now ranked as the fastest major growing economy in the world....the cctld will rise in conjunction with the country's growth and potential.

while i believe the same thing i must remind you the .us
it is not certain that .in will be the go to tld for companies in india, we just have to wait and hope i guess :)

•••
.IN, .DE, .RU, .SE

But you will have to know both the market and in some cases, like .SE, the associated language.

•••
@deez007 , I understand where you are coming from in regards to your appetite for .co.za and its always great to see someone whom has faith in their own country extesion. But you should also look at the economies and growth potential of the countries in which the respective extensions represent.

South Africa has a population of around 53 million, whilst India has a population of around 1.25 Billion, soon to overtake China in the next few years as the world's most populous country. Also India is now ranked as the fastest major growing economy in the world....the cctld will rise in conjunction with the country's growth and potential. Im afraid that, if you were to look at long term ROI, then the potential of .co.za is no where near that of .in

I think as far as population deinsity is concerned you are definitely spot on. However from an economic sense, I think South Africa has just as much potential... to give you an example, the ZAR (South African Rand) = about 5 times the Indian Rupee it's about 1 Rand for 4.7 rupees - One of the benefits of .co.za is there are still many many gems that have not been registered yet... I think from a long term ROI perspective .co.za domains are actually really solid investment. I think .IN is great as well, I also invest in them. However I see both of them as being on par in terms of ROI. Off course more .IN domains will get registered faster due to the population density.

Also, on a side not... not sure of you know but South Africa has the highest concentration of Indians in the world outside of India. :)

•••
it is not certain that .in will be the go to tld for companies in india, we just have to wait and hope i guess :)
.IN is the go to TLD for India. whether I or you may disagree and clearly no importance for our opinions. Data speaks about it, kindly note. IN has Indian government backing.. INDIAN IT ministry publicly asking to ditch. Com and move to. IN, every citizen has to consume government service.. All government websites end with . IN... It's not far away, you have an opportunity... Even. Com is accepted as an extension current. IN prices are around 1 to 2% of. Com extension. It's no brainer for businesses to go for. IN . End user demand drives the prices not domainers. Think twice before you make your choice...good luck..

•••
•••
head over to namebio.com and checkout the sales history... .co.za prices are on par if not higher than .IN

Someone said the proper gradation of the word 'lie' is:
1. small lie
2. lie
3. big lie
4. deadly lie
5. statistics

What % of .co.za and .in sales are actually reported ? I don't know about .co.za but .in is one of the most underreported ccTLDs around (why it happens is another story and not the subject of this thread).

•••
Someone said the proper gradation of the word 'lie' is:
1. small lie
2. lie
3. big lie
4. deadly lie
5. statistics

What % of .co.za and .in sales are actually reported ? I don't know about .co.za but .in is one of the most underreported ccTLDs around (why it happens is another story and not the subject of this thread).

Yep, I have also heard that .IN sales is one of the most unreported ccTLD's around however this is also reigns true with .co.za - most of the sales are done privately and are not reported at all.

•••
The BRICS countries are on the raising wave and South Africa is part of it. There is no reason why .co.za would not be doing well. The only thing which I don't like is that it's .za and not .sa but the latter is taken by Saudi Arabia. .za can be easily confused with Zambia.

Any plans to introduce .za (without .co)?

•••
The BRICS countries are on the raising wave and South Africa is part of it. There is no reason why .co.za would not be doing well. The only thing which I don't like is that it's .za and not .sa but the latter is taken by Saudi Arabia. .za can be easily confused with Zambia.

I fully agree with you, I always feel it's zambia's extension

•••

@comati , I understand your thoughts on why you believe we must be precautious. But .us is a VERY DIFFERENT situation to .in due to the fact that in the US, .com is already regarded and established as the primary extension for that country. Im sure most of us here, especially those living outside of the US too will regard .com as being associated with sites that are based in the US. But for other countries, this is NOT the case and .com is not associated with local national websites, eg. .co.uk, .de. etc....are the primary go to extensions when searching for local content, US is different as .com has always been their national extension long before .us was released.

And you also have to take into account what domainpundit has said, in that the Indian government is moving forward with a massive drive to push .IN and asking companies and people to ditch .com in favour of the national extension .in

Last edited:
•••

Yep, you are spot on with regards to BRICS and also about the za being confused with Zambia. Locally though, in South Africa.. everyone basically knows that .co.za is local.

They have already introduced .ZA for private registrations...but .co.za still remains dominant here..

You can check out more info on .ZA here: http://www.zadna.org.za/

•••
•••
•••
Fully agree. As per hosterstats, 96 million plus. Coms are registered from USA, hence. Com is USA cctld. They don't one more cctld. Also USA accounts more than 75% of overall. Com registrations... USA economy has grown in a big way, so. Com investors benefited out of it. Now it's saturated market.

Better to focus on a growing market like India from investment point of view, it's GDP growing on Avg 7 to 8% and it's far from saturation and it takes another 20 to 30 years to reach saturation.. India's CCTLD is. IN, it's an obvious thing that . IN will be the next hot extension. It's still in early stages and good times to invest , very likely in a year or two, it will be the hottest extension from Investment point of view.

@comati , I understand your thoughts on why you believe we must be precautious. But .us is a VERY DIFFERENT situation to .in due to the fact that in the US, .com is already regarded and established as the primary extension for that country. Im sure most of us here, especially those living outside of the US too will regard .com as being associated with sites that are based in the US. But for other countries, this is NOT the case and .com is not associated with local national websites, eg. .co.uk, .de. etc....are the primary go to extensions when searching for local content, US is different as .com has always been their national extension long before .us was released.

And you also have to take into account what domainpundit has said, in that the Indian government is moving forward with a massive drive to push .IN and asking companies and people to ditch .com in favour of the national extension .in

Last edited:
•••
•••
I can see the major members on Namepros are Indian domainers :)

•••
.in (highest growth potential)
.co.in (room for both.in and .co.in for premium keywords and lll)

•••
yet not one has mentioned .co.za yet?
I will. Tentative list:
  1. .fr
  2. .in/.it
  3. .co.za
In no particular order. I left out some 'obvious' extensions because I think the registries are not trustworthy enough at this point.

One of the benefits of .co.za is there are still many many gems that have not been registered yet...
I am willing to trust you on that, aren't you from SA ? But: .co.za is a very old extension and is quite mature, certainly the strongest African TLD. In my experience all the great names are taken. Drops in .co.za are competitive (you know what I am talking about).
I have mined the .co.za zone extensively.

•••
Is anyone buying English keywords in .in? Or is it mainly numeric/acronym?

•••
Primary
.CO
.CC
.TV

Will add secondary list too

.DE
.FR
.IN
.ME
.US

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back