IT.COM

What Can You Learn From These Numbers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DN Fuel

Established Member
Impact
Hello,

I was browsing Name Bio Sales and this domain name caught my attention. It's about the .TV extension for a 2 Letter domain which was sold for 5 figure one day, and how the market changed it's value within 10 years!

Bs.Tv 3.027 USD2021-02-27NameJet
Bs.Tv 15.000 USD2014-09-24Sedo
Bs.Tv 2.050 USD2011-01-15Sedo

Can we apply this idea or logic to other current TLD trends (.io, .vc, etc) ?

Share any thoughts you have.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
When you say "the market changed its value in 10 years", its more like "a buyer came along offering a number on that specific domain, on that day, in that year, and the seller was happy enough to accept". Just because one domain dropped from a $15k sale to a $3k sale 7 years later, doesn't necessarily mean that applies to every domain. Different situation, different circumstance

Last edited:
•••
The negative connotation of the acronym BS supercedes other use cases. Most (not all) startups avoid predominantly negative meaning brands. There's special niches that can make them work, but it just doesn't attract the right consumer demographic for most.

With the above in mind as 1 variable It's important to consider all the other variables at play that would have also been present at the times of the acquisitions.

It could be both, market shift and personal finance related.

You would need to identify multiple instances of triple play sales reports in relatively the same time frames, extension, etc.. to have comparable enough data to confirm your hypothesis.

If you can match up 10 to 20 that are comparable out of 25 sample cases, it may be a good indicator you're onto something.

Multiple matching variables need to be in play though.

That's just my opinion. Everyone evaluates differently.

•••
The 2021 sale is at NameJet, probably a domainer acquisition.
The other 2 sales at Sedo could be either, but probably retail sales to end users.
I don't think anything can be concluded (and one example would not be enough anyway).
Bob

•••
The other 2 sales at Sedo could be either, but probably retail sales to end users.
I don't think anything can be concluded (and one example would not be enough anyway).
Bob

Exactly!

I think there is a website abusing this really a lot. They report wholesale acquisitions of drops that previously sold to end users and present it as if a name lost up to 95% of its value.

You buy a name for $20 to $200, sell for $1000 to 5000 and of course if it drops it will sell again for $20 to $200, with possible extra bonus for proven sale history, page rank, links.

It is beyond me how can someone be in domain industry and present it in their news as loss of value.

•••
Some people buy high and sell low. Others buy low and sell high.

If not markets wouldn't exist. Still a valuable name regardless.

•••
When you say "the market changed its value in 10 years", its more like "a buyer came along offering a number on that specific domain, on that day, in that year, and the seller was happy enough to accept". Just because one domain dropped from a $15k sale to a $3k sale 7 years later, doesn't necessarily mean that applies to every domain. Different situation, different circumstance

I see your point, one domain is just an example for what I was referring to.

•••
The negative connotation of the acronym BS supercedes other use cases. Most (not all) startups avoid predominantly negative meaning brands. There's special niches that can make them work, but it just doesn't attract the right consumer demographic for most.

With the above in mind as 1 variable It's important to consider all the other variables at play that would have also been present at the times of the acquisitions.

It could be both, market shift and personal finance related.

You would need to identify multiple instances of triple play sales reports in relatively the same time frames, extension, etc.. to have comparable enough data to confirm your hypothesis.

If you can match up 10 to 20 that are comparable out of 25 sample cases, it may be a good indicator you're onto something.

Multiple matching variables need to be in play though.

That's just my opinion. Everyone evaluates differently.

Yes, I agree that it may have a negative meaning. Good notes on the comparison part, I appreciate it!

•••
Bob

You're the "Data Man" as far as I know, in your opinion, what's considered an early indication for a market shift in regard to a specific domain extension? What's your criteria to have such a conclusion?

•••
Hi

if you check wayback,
that name never had any content and was redirected to sedo for some time.

also, back in the day, some .tv names had premium reg/renewal cost which affected investments.

there is nothing to draw from it, cuz it is... what it was.

imo...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back