Dynadot

tips What are Your Secret Domaining Techniques & Tools?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DANEYAL

Top Member
Impact
The use of technology in promoting domains & making sales is amazing. In a recent blog by @jamesiles How I Sold An $8,500 Domain Using Twitter, he mentioned the use of twitter.
In an earlier blog by @Ali Zandi Outbound techniques, we find some interesting applications & sites like zoominfo, followup.cc. Moreover there are few threads that suggests about drafting an email to reach & communicate endusers.

Here, Can we share our secrets? What measures do we employ to market & promote our domains. Which technique often works best for us. How we make our domain selling strategy.
Social Media Channels, How often do we make use of Social Media like Twitter, Facebook & others to spread the word.
Sharing is Caring, Kindly Share your Top Domaining Secrets! :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
'What are Your Secret Domaining Techniques & Tools?'

To be honest, this question does not make sense (here) at all, it's a paradox question (in terms of where it was placed).
The sense of any secret is keeping it secret (in yourself or in a circle).
So why should you share a secret whatever (in this case 'domaining techniques & tools') in an public forum?

Last edited:
•••
Not claiming to be a succe $$ful domainer but will share my secret (well it was something that I didn't know till recently).

Stick within a budget, no matter how much you want that gem.

Remember that "discount/deal/coupon" comes due within a year (+) and those 100 domains you got at $2.00 each, might cost you $20.00 at renewal (just numbers I used to make my point)

If you are not a USA resident, currency rates changes, sometimes drastically! My currency wasnt too long ago, stronger than the USA dollar, now today it is way weaker. (Registration higher cause of that reason). So I should buy when my dollar strong or equal and really really sell when weak.

If you are looking at domaining as a business..always think of these three words..Profit, Profit and Profit.

Just my opinion..

•••
•••
oh why not,
mystical secret 1/
Folks set yourselves a sound business model to buy and sell for profit, here's mine below.

mystical secret 2/

Know where to buy inventory at it's lowest cost.

mystical secret 3/
Know where to sell inventory at it's highest cost, for maximum arbitrage.

mystical secret 4/

For the above, utilizing your initiative you should be able to discover the relevant marketplaces (even creating your own) and when to buy/sell to achieve maximum arbitrage for maximizing your profit.

g8, now I'll have to shoot you all! ha ;)

:roll:

•••
All of these are common knowledge/no "secrets" here

oh why not,
mystical secret 1/
Folks set yourselves a sound business model to buy and sell for profit, here's mine below.

mystical secret 2/

Know where to buy inventory at it's lowest cost.

mystical secret 3/
Know where to sell inventory at it's highest cost, for maximum arbitrage.

mystical secret 4/

For the above, utilizing your initiative you should be able to discover the relevant marketplaces (even creating your own) and when to buy/sell to achieve maximum arbitrage for maximizing your profit.

g8, now I'll have to shoot you all! ha ;)

:roll:

•••
If there is a secret and I told you that would no longer make it a secret and could cause competition for me as well.

•••
Can you remember when the GoDaddy loopholes were made public, years ago? GD fixed them up ASAP afterward.

Moral: If you know secrets, NEVER MAKE THEM PUBLIC!

If there is a secret and I told you that would no longer make it a secret and could cause competition for me as well.

•••
All of these are common knowledge/no "secrets" here

ha! :roll: more like "elementary dear watson" written in a mystical zen like fashion.
As ppl say although there are methods (understanding domain buying trends/waves - when to ride the greater fool theory :) etc) there are not many secrets if any in compassion to any other sales industry, and I've been around many amway sales men/women to know, but that's another another financial religion which I fell grace from. :laugh:

•••
Actually, divulging the real secrets to domaining will likely deter more potential domainers than it will encourage people to start domain investing.

The reason is because it actually takes a significant amount of research and studying to know the ins and outs of the domaining industry. Furthermore, when starting out, unless you invest a significant effort in researching the do's and dont's of beginner domainers, you are very likely to make very costly mistakes. These do's and dont's cannot easily be learned, you just have to do a lot of reading, there's no easy way of getting to know good domaining strategy.
So, the biggest secret to domaining is to do about half a year's worth of reading and research and observation; once you've done that you will be in a better position than 95% of beginner domainers.

•••
Sales come and go. I have regular mini sales every month totaling +/- $500 monthly which gives me motivation to move and stay in this game. But I cant call it my profit since I spend more every month to buy new names. However there are names that I plan to hold until the right buyer comes since I had more than 10 offers and last offer I received 2 weeks ago was $1300 that was the biggest offer and I believe that bigger offer is going to surprise me sometimes before Christmas comes :).

So I urge everyone to sell your less important domain names to have some cash flow for renewals, for motivation, for opportunity to invest in better quality names for the bigger fish to bite on.

•••
There could be 3 reasons why your domains dont sell.

1. Worthless.
2. Premium but expensive.
3. Poor advertising...

•••
was just about to say same thing. OP, technically speaking, domaining is a selfish business. You have to be selfish in some ways to survive in this business. Hardly does anyone reveals all.

I beg to differ, I dont think domaining is selfish. Wait, I dont think it needs to be selfish.. Perhaps it is to some degree but I havent encountered it. Sure there are those who are simply not nice and have very poor communications skills. You wouldnt learn from them even if they were to explain the business from top to bottom and hand hold you the entire way.

Every domain is unique. There is only one domain name of each. You and I can not both own ZXABCZXABC.com If you had apples to sell and I had apples to sell then yes, I can see that we're in a bit of a competitive niche and neither of us is going to give out exactly how we move those apples.

I think domainers are some of the most sharing business people out there. Look at Ali Zandi, Shane Bellow, Eric Lyon, David Walker, James Siles........ too many more to mention. Namepros.com is full of giving helping people. Sometimes you have to read very carefully, read things over and over. I never said that people will walk you 100% of the way, it rarely ever happens - except maybe in family businesses handing the reigns down from one generation to another.

Go to domain conferences. You will be shocked at how open and up front the other domainers are. If you cant afford it (or even if you can) listen to DomainSherpa.com podcasts and DomainNameWire.com podcasts. They are a goldmine of information and advice. Adam Dicker runs dnfcollege.com, there is a TON of information there.

Sure, a lot of it is left for you to do on your own but that doesnt mean that these very successful folks arent giving out their secrets. I think domaining is actually one of the easiest careers to get going in. The barrier to entry is very low.

Thats my opinion, at least..... :)

•••
I beg to differ, I dont think domaining is selfish. Wait, I dont think it needs to be selfish.. Perhaps it is to some degree but I havent encountered it. Sure there are those who are simply not nice and have very poor communications skills. You wouldnt learn from them even if they were to explain the business from top to bottom and hand hold you the entire way.

Every domain is unique. There is only one domain name of each. You and I can not both own ZXABCZXABC.com If you had apples to sell and I had apples to sell then yes, I can see that we're in a bit of a competitive niche and neither of us is going to give out exactly how we move those apples.

I think domainers are some of the most sharing business people out there. Look at Ali Zandi, Shane Bellow, Eric Lyon, David Walker, James Siles........ too many more to mention. Namepros.com is full of giving helping people. Sometimes you have to read very carefully, read things over and over. I never said that people will walk you 100% of the way, it rarely ever happens - except maybe in family businesses handing the reigns down from one generation to another.

Go to domain conferences. You will be shocked at how open and up front the other domainers are. If you cant afford it (or even if you can) listen to DomainSherpa.com podcasts and DomainNameWire.com podcasts. They are a goldmine of information and advice. Adam Dicker runs dnfcollege.com, there is a TON of information there.

Sure, a lot of it is left for you to do on your own but that doesnt mean that these very successful folks arent giving out their secrets. I think domaining is actually one of the easiest careers to get going in. The barrier to entry is very low.

I agree with you.

•••
One of the best purchase tools I've seen lately is this:
https://www.domcomp.com/ Its pretty accurate but I dont think it takes into account, for example, the Godaddy Domain Discount plan.

•••

Definitely, that is when we say sharing is caring. I have learnt a lot of valuable things from watching DomainSherpa Interviews, not only for domaining but these things enhance our skills in many other ways & contribute a lot for our professional grooming.
Secrets are most of the times very simple things, that one gets across after passing through various stages, and making mistakes as well. Things we share here, and what has already been shared in this thread can help build a mindset of people signing up here daily. Everyone does not belong to an IT Industry, so sharing these things and making informative threads on regular basis, are simply helpful & positive.
Thanks for your Valuable Insight & it was indeed helpful. Thankyou.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back