Dynadot

marketplace What are the main changes in Dan updated terms of use today (Dec 2022)?

NameSilo
Watch

postscripter

Top Member
Impact
I've received an email from Dan.com today, announcing changes in their terms of use. Any idea what are the main changes compared to the previous one?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
It says hereafter Dan will Dance to tunes played by Godaddy.

•••
It says hereafter Dan will Dance to tunes played by Godaddy.
Wasn't that already part of GoDaddy? May be now they are changing the commission structure or listing conditions?

•••
Its plainly stated in the email its an update to the privacy policy.

•••
I noticed that they have 3 Privacy Pages=)
1672177702613-png.229346

1672177778023-png.229347

•••
Wasn't that already part of GoDaddy? May be now they are changing the commission structure or listing conditions?
I sold a domain through Dan via the distribution network in December and they charged me a 20% commission fee. Whereas previously they only charged 9% when they weren't part of GoDaddy. So goodbye to the 9% commission fee in the future.

Last edited:
•••
I am slowly transferring all my domains to other registrars as they come up for renewal.

•••
I sold a domain through Dan via the distribution network in December and they charged me a 20% commission fee. Whereas previously they only charged 9% when they weren't part of GoDaddy. So goodbye to the 9% commission fee in the future.
You have to opt in for that right? If you don't opt in, and you have Dan landing pages and they buy, it's still 9%.

•••
I am slowly transferring all my domains to other registrars as they come up for renewal.
When the distribution network selling is enabled, they charge the higher commission if the domain is sold through any of those network seller. If you get the lead, its better to add the lead, disable distribution network to be safer and then make the sales. If you are moving, better to check how the other registrar charges the commission.

But mostly network marketing sales will have higher commission always but not sure how much it helps. If the customer was not searching for your domain name but still your domain name popped up as a related domain that is available for sales just because of this distribution feature, then yes its fine. But if the sales was because customer was searching for this particular name then it was no use.

For premium names, its better not enable distribution selling I believe, because the one who need it will obviously type it and find the sales page and no need any extra marketing and pay extra commission.

•••
That was very enlightening thanks, Leo2k.

•••
For premium names, its better not enable distribution selling I believe, because the one who need it will obviously type it and find the sales page and no need any extra marketing and pay extra commission.
What I was asking in the other Dan thread. If you mean type it and find the sales page, meaning you have the domain go to the Dan landing page when they type the domain in, you should be charged 9% not 20%

•••
What I was asking in the other Dan thread. If you mean type it and find the sales page, meaning you have the domain go to the Dan landing page when they type the domain in, you should be charged 9% not 20%
Great. Thank you for the info. Double checked and found it in one of their blogs mentioning the below.

Dan's page: 206336-the-first-open-domain-distribution-network-is-live

2: If your domain is sold at Dan.com and you are enrolled to the network program, we’ll always charge you your Dan.com commission and not a 20% commission.

Their sales page shows that the distribution network sales commission stands at 20%, which, it seems, should be only if the sales happened outside Dan (through their distribution network).

But is there a chance of you searching for the domain earlier through the partners and cookies are set and later you buy the domain from the market where its listed but still charged higher commission because the partner network already was used to search earlier or any similar conditions?

•••
And with regards to the Premium names, still its better to list as BIN only on the market where the commission is lower and set Make Offer on the other sites with an amount higher than the BIN as the reserved price. Just you are forcing the buyer to make the sale through the market want him to and reduce your commission charges.
When the domain is not a premium one, you can enable distribution sales and get more promotion that it needs and let the sale happen anywhere.
Any thoughts about this?

•••
When the domain is not a premium one, you can enable distribution sales and get more promotion that it needs and let the sale happen anywhere.
Any thoughts about this?
Better disable that option, and list separately on both DAN and Afternic.

•••
Better disable that option, and list separately on both DAN and Afternic.
Yes. That was my initial thought. But it seems, according to Dan article, Dan charge only as per its own commission slab and doesn't charge if the sales happened directly on Dan.
Anyway, I have disabled that option already to avoid any confusion with BIN mentioned on only one marketplace to direct the sales there.
May use distribution sales later in the coming months for lower valued domains to check how it works.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back