IT.COM

services What are best alternatives to DAN? (Since GoDaddy has bought & ruined the service as expected)

NameSilo
Watch

Maxxo

Established Member
Impact
Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to DAN that don't have such high commission fees? DAN user interface is still nice, but Godaddy really screwed the pooch with increase on commission fees from 9% to 15% and 25% for not using their nameservers. I guess that's no surprise. Too bad DAN sold out for an exit paycheck. Bummer.

I guess Efty is in a prime spot to add DAN users like me who are looking to jump ship.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So strange. Why would GoDaddy do it this way?
If your domain has a "buy now" price and no "make offer" option on AN, one would question why they have the right to change the nature of the sale without informing you explicitly.

Perhaps they believe they can do this because you have provided a "floor" option. But the "floor" is not supposed to be visible to the potential buyers. By putting in this lower price, are they now effectively allowing an automatic sale based on your floor, without the supposed "negotiations" they were presumed to do on your behalf? Who knows?

Why should the Fast Transfer and the non-fast transfer sales pages be different anyhow? I don't recall ever being told that that was that type of distinction with the two choices. The only difference appeared to be that you were opting into a larger network if you allowed immediate transfer.

The lack of transparency here remains all the more concerning with AN.

Last edited:
•••
If your domain has a "buy now" price and no "make offer" option on AN, one would question why they have the right to change the nature of the sale without informing you explicitly.

If, for some reason, they believe they can do this because you have provided a "floor" option, that is highly dubious. The "floor" is not supposed to be visible to the potential buyers. But, by putting in this lower price, are they now effectively allowing an automatic sale based on your floor, without the supposed "negotiations" they were presumed to do on your behalf. Who knows?

Why should the Fast Transfer and the non-fast transfer sales pages be different anyhow? I don't recall ever being told that that was that type of distinction with the two choices. The only difference appeared to be that you were opting into a larger network if you allowed immediate transfer.

The lack of transparency here remains all the more concerning with AN.
I agree with all of the above. I'm starting to not fully trust GoDaddy (I've never felt this way before) but I'm not sure what to do about it.

•••
I agree with all of the above. I'm starting to not fully trust GoDaddy (I've never felt this way before) but I'm not sure what to do about it.
You've done the most important first step. Ask the questions!

Dan in the past was my preferred lander. At least you could see what was going on with traffic, and set up Google Analytics. For me, with GD/AN, the feel is that it is too much of a "black box." What "negotiations are going on behind the scenes? Why aren't you informed that even any negotations are happening?

At least with Dan, you were the one directly doing the negotiations. For my last sale with AN, that was FT, I was truly puzzled why there were negotiations even going on. I had a set price, which was the BIN, Floor, and Minimum. I was contacted by AN that they were negotiating with a buyer who first started at a much lower price. And, now if I lowered my price by about 25%, they would make the sale in exchange for a fast payment. Why can't they do like Dan, and pay within 1-2 days?

In retrospect, if the floor was the asking price, why were they negotiating with any buyer in the first place. And why was that the first time I was hearing about any of this? How long were the negotiations going on? I still have no clue as to what other domains had potential buyers.

I don't understand them. I'd sure love to have more clarity about their "behind the curtains" activities, and feel more confident about their operations. At this point, it's too many questions, to me, remaining unanswered.

Last edited:
•••
Strange that Daaz located at UK but there huge demand on .IN domains.
There is 2 reasons for that:
1) .In domainers joined Daaz first as they knew founder form INF
2) .In domainers are using Daaz landers so they have fair opportunity to convert.

If .in extension can be sold then any extension can be sold. .In is hard to sell then .com or .net and this is a fact.

•••
If .in extension can be sold then any extension can be sold. .In is hard to sell then .com or .net and this is a fact.
.in hard or easy sell than .info?

•••
Bodis allows to insert a custom FOR SALE link on top of the page.
I'm setting all sales to DAAZ that is more similar to DAN with fees under 10%.
Now that it's been about a month, any update on your DAAZ experience?
DaaZ has only 5% fee for Buy Now listings. They charge 8% for Lease to Own option. DaaZ Secure is another great option to sell multiple domains in a single transaction.
Have so you have had success there with a buyer buying multiple domains at one time? Sounds great if that's the case, along with having that convenient multi-sale option.

•••
Strange that Daaz located at UK but there huge demand on .IN domains.
No strange at all. There are too many Indians here, legals and illegals. I think even the guys from Daaz have a similar background.

Last edited:
•••
No strange at all. There are too many Indians here, legals and illegals. I think even the guys from Daaz have a similar background.
DaaZ is 100% UK company. If you live in London or visiting London, let us know we can meet and talk too :)

•••
Sticking to SH 7.5% Standard listings for priced domains.

•••
To be honest I do not understand why people consider even using efty and similar paid sites.

You can take one of your domains put a simple wordpress site with a contact form and then redirect all your domains to that site with masking (so the potential buyer will see url he typed in). Ones you reached an agreement with him you can initiate a lead at DAN or Escrow.com.
I did like that for many years and it worked fantastic for me.
I will be returning back to it as DAN increased the fee.

Last edited:
•••
To be honest I do not even understand why people consider even using efty and similar paid sites.

You can take one of your domains put a simple wordpress site with a contact form and then redirect all your domains to that site with masking (so the potential buyer will see url he typed in). Ones you reached an agreement with him you can initiate a lead at DAN or Escrow.com.
I did like that for many years and it worked fantastic for me.
I will be returning back to it as DAN increased the fee.
Do you have an preliminary example of this, or will you have one in the near future to show?

There does appear to be a benefit using marketplaces, though, for the extra visibility.

When renewing domains, I noticed at my registrar that additional potential domains were being presented for sale. Likewise, at their marketplace, prior to purchase, additional domains are pushed as options from the Sedo or Afternic network.

So, if landers produce about 1/2 of sales for some, you may be missing out on sales from that extra marketing by companies like Afternic and Sedo. And, of course, the domain searches on the major marketplaces may make a big difference.

Last edited:
•••
To be honest I do not understand why people consider even using efty and similar paid sites.

You can take one of your domains put a simple wordpress site with a contact form and then redirect all your domains to that site with masking (so the potential buyer will see url he typed in).
What's the best way to set this up so the correct URL is displayed?

•••
You can take one of your domains put a simple wordpress site with a contact form and then redirect all your domains to that site with masking (so the potential buyer will see url he typed in).
One time I redirected all my domains to my Blogspot blog post. There is a comment function, contact form with me. And NOBODY not written to me with asking price for domain or any interest about my domains. So What suit to you, that not suit to others.
Some registrars offer 2 type of redirecting.

I say about Dynadot:
Mark needed domain, click button Bulk action, Select DNS Settings, from the drop-down menu choose Stealth Forwarding.

That's all.

Last edited:
•••
I say about Dynadot:
Mark needed domain, click button Bulk action, Select DNS Settings, from the drop-down menu choose Stealth Forwarding.

That's all.
Thanks, but I don't mean the redirect part. I mean once the user gets to the landing page, what's the best way to dynamically insert the info about that particular domain name?

•••

It depends on a registrar. For example at Namecheap you would do the following:

https://www.namecheap.com/support/k...7/how-can-i-set-up-a-url-frame-for-my-domain/

One time I redirected all my domains to my Blogspot blog post. There is a comment function, contact form with me. And NOBODY not written to me with asking price for domain or any interest about my domains. So What suit to you, that not suit to others.

I do not know what you exactly did there. If people reply you to e.g. efty landing page they will to your wordpress contact form. It works the same way.
You can even make your landing page looks 10 times better than any efty landing page. You can just buy very professional looking, easily adjustable wordpress theme on themeforest.com

e.g. https://themeforest.net/item/avada-responsive-multipurpose-theme/2833226

If you have low quality domains neither great description nor great landing page help you.

•••
Back