IT.COM

services What are best alternatives to DAN? (Since GoDaddy has bought & ruined the service as expected)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Maxxo

Established Member
Impact
Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to DAN that don't have such high commission fees? DAN user interface is still nice, but Godaddy really screwed the pooch with increase on commission fees from 9% to 15% and 25% for not using their nameservers. I guess that's no surprise. Too bad DAN sold out for an exit paycheck. Bummer.

I guess Efty is in a prime spot to add DAN users like me who are looking to jump ship.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just wanted to stress that the fact that the Sav lander is not https is a significant downside of Sav landers (the page they go to buy is https of course). I hope they will correct that. Two people also reported slow response with Sav landers coming up, although I directly observe it. It may be related to mobile and cellular in some way.

-Bob
Thanks for the clarification.

So, the Sav Landers have a different limitation--and probably a very signficant one. Some folks will not proceed further if a site is deemed unsafe or "not secure."

I noticed today that on their website they have a job opening listing for a web developer. Anyone of our tech-savvy members live in the Chicago area, and want to help Sav fix this problem?!

Last edited:
•••
Since I noticed Bob’s slow loading landers, I went to Sav and domain auction section. Their internal pages loaded fast and had ssl so maybe set up forwarding to them for all your names, not like you have anything else to do lol
https:/www.sav.com/auctions/details /1859043/whiterock.co

Butt kicking name this is quite a large geographic area near Vancouver just using url to show ssl

•••
Since I noticed Bob’s slow loading landers, I went to Sav and domain auction section. Their internal pages loaded fast and had ssl so maybe set up forwarding to them for all your names, not like you have anything else to do lol
https:/www.sav.com/auctions/details /1859043/whiterock.co
The forwarding didn't seem to work here, but the idea is a very interesting one. To have a domain name forwarded to Sav's SSL auction listings might be helpful.

Has anyone else tried doing domain name forwarding to the domain's marketplace listing page at a registrar?

•••
As for (free) Bodis forwarding to any custom URL, last time I checked it did not work with adblock. Even though no ads were involved... Moreover, didn't Bodis stop offering this service some time ago?

•••
Bodis allows to insert a custom FOR SALE link on top of the page.
I'm setting all sales to DAAZ that is more similar to DAN with fees under 10%.

Last edited:
•••
As for (free) Bodis forwarding to any custom URL, last time I checked it did not work with adblock. Even though no ads were involved... Moreover, didn't Bodis stop offering this service some time ago?
They do provide the Custom URL forwarding. It stills has the ads below it, which likely will be blocked with the Adblocker. And, it is possible on some browsers and computer systems that the entire thing will be blocked. Feel free to check out AmericaMed.com as an example. The top page title, when customized, is pretty snazzy, IMHO!
My hope is to try simply forwarding the domain to the marketplace listing from the Namecheap basic NS. I'm not sure that you can. . For a 10% commission, that would be OK for NameCheap domains. Granted, combined with the 2% PayPal payout fee, it's a little pricier than some other options. . It does have the advantage of the 5 days guaranteed payout---providing a more predictable transaction timeline for each sale.

Last edited:
•••
Feel free to check out AmericaMed.com as an example
Very interesting. Did not see such an effect before. With adblock, I saw an empty page (30 seconds or so) and then it was forwarded to another bodis-powered page, with ads from BING - must be 2nd tier (were not blocked by some reason), and custom forsale top link to namecheap.

Last edited:
•••
\
Very interesting. Did not see such an effect before. With adblock, I saw an empty page (30 seconds or so) and then it was forwarded to another bodis-powered page, with ads from BING - must be 2nd tier (were not blocked by some reason), and custom forsale top link to namecheap.
Thank you so much for checking out the Bodis to "NC Marketplace Lander Equivalent." That's fascinating,that bing ads are now showing. It's not a tier2 domain, so maybe Bodis is getting some variety these days! Were you able to test their lander with the adblocker turned off, out of curiosity?

Granted, the majority of the computer uses at this point do use adblocking, so more than likely this will be a serious impediment to using this as a "marketplace lander" lead. And 30 seconds is way too long to expect someone to wait and stay on a page.

Hopefully, NC will have a different solution--one that allows forwarding to the specific marketplace page where the domain is listed. There may be an advantage of using the marketplace page from NC. Compared to some other larger marketplaces, they automatically provide useful search stats and some other relevant information--such as a high Estibot valuation. So, compared to one's own landers, they may provide some more compelling, credible sales points.

Last edited:
•••
Has anyone else tried doing domain name forwarding to the domain's marketplace listing page at a registrar?
Yes I have at times done at NamSilo, and for listings at Nameliquidate in past, and at Namecheap do it extensively as it is the only option to have a ‘lander’ for a Namecheap Marketplace listing. Their CEO tells me there will be landers when Spaceship releases.
-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Compared to some other larger marketplaces, they automatically provide useful search stats and some other relevant information--such as a high Estibot valuation.
I only wish they had correct number of extensions data. It would seem simple to correct, and I have been complaining for months, so they know of problem. I’m not talking small changes but numbers smaller by order of magnitude. As far as I can tell they have wrong data for essentially every listing.
-Bob

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to DAN that don't have such high commission fees? DAN user interface is still nice, but Godaddy really screwed the pooch with increase on commission fees from 9% to 15% and 25% for not using their nameservers. I guess that's no surprise. Too bad DAN sold out for an exit paycheck. Bummer.

I guess Efty is in a prime spot to add DAN users like me who are looking to jump ship.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!
Im looking at sav.com only 4% commissions ,guess why companies like this are around thats why godaddy wants your n servers pointed so they can rape you.How about this idea ,point only the domains you have at godaddy to godaddy or godanny if the domain thats not directed to godaddy sells at godanny or godaddy ,tell them you already have a buyer that came thru the other lander,then just wait for the buyer to come to you with the buy it now of sav.com lander and pay only 4% this actually happened about a month ago but the buyer did go to sav first because i priced it lower to make up for the 16% spread

Last edited:
•••
Did he mention an ETA on that launch? (no pun intended)
I think there may be NamePros members who are in beta testing of Spaceship, not sure if they can say, but in the Twitter exchange with me this week he did not give a launch date. I think was a couple of months ago they started beta testing. I don't know what the commission for aftermarket sales would be except that he said in response to a question that it would probably be flat (i.e. not tiered) and would be low (the current NCM is 10%).

-Bob

Last edited:
•••
Their CEO tells me there will be landers when Spaceship releases.
Thanks for your info on this.

If (when) you interract with him again, please suggest he at least give a rough timeframe for release. If I knew it would be launched in 30-60 days, I could relax and not stress about finding another solution to the 'problem' we are facing.

However, if I commit man hours and treasure for hosting my names, it would be unlikely I would abandon that to try the spaceship.

•••
If (when) you interract with him again, please suggest he at least give a rough timeframe for release. If I knew it would be launched in 30-60 days, I could relax and not stress about finding another solution to the 'problem' we are facing.

However, if I commit man hours and treasure for hosting my names, it would be unlikely I would abandon that to try the spaceship.
Will do. It is not that I have some personal association, but I had tweeted to the official Namecheap account and he responded from his personal account to me with the information on Spaceship. My guess is he won't commit to a date, but I will see what I can find. I agree that many, me included, might make different moves in next month if I knew it was within 6-8 weeks. Thanks for suggestion.
-Bob

•••
Will do. It is not that I have some personal association, but I had tweeted to the official Namecheap account and he responded from his personal account to me with the information on Spaceship. My guess is he won't commit to a date, but I will see what I can find. I agree that many, me included, might make different moves in next month if I knew it was within 6-8 weeks. Thanks for suggestion.
-Bob
That would be great, Bob.
I think there may be NamePros members who are in beta testing of Spaceship, not sure if they can say, but in the Twitter exchange with me this week he did not give a launch date. I think was a couple of months ago they started beta testing. I don't know what the commission for aftermarket sales would be except that he said in response to a question that it would probably be flat (i.e. not tiered) and would be low (the current NCM is 10%).

-Bob
I requested a beta account on his twitter page, as DMs are off. But I never heard back a response from him. I suppose I was too late to ask and may have missed the opportunity to be beta tester.

•••
Daaz.com is the best option we have now.
Low fee.
Super awesome support.

•••
Daaz.com is the best option we have now.
Low fee.
Super awesome support.
What success have you had with them? Have you been with them for long? Do you know others who have had good or bad experiences with them?

•••
What success have you had with them? Have you been with them for long? Do you know others who have had good or bad experiences with them?
I have had few 3 and 4 figure domain sales with them. Fee is as low as 5%.
They have multiple payout option, I used wise transfer as it was the best for me because Paypal takes too much conversion fee and commission.
I know few more domainers using Daaz for a long time even for 5 figure sales.
You can check Namebio.com for Sales report.
If you need any help regarding Daaz.com, let me know.
Thanks

•••
•••
The landing page is being blocked by Adblocker and Firefox is blocking it even without a Adblocker.

I know. However Firefox is only ~3.5% of all views... so it's quite unimportant. Chrome and Safari make up >83% of all searches and Bodis' pages show fine for them except for the ~27% of people who use adblockers. So I'm serving to about 2/3 of all users at 0% commission. I realize I'm losing 1/3 of potential sales this way. I have only a portion of my traffic selling via Bodis. I also (currently) do have those names listed at Afternic (realizing this would result in 25% commissions if sold via Afternic as of Feb 1). Of course, some will sell via Bodis at 0% - so this mix should result in a similar 15% net that I'd get by not using Bodis at all.

•••
Have you actually had success through the Bodis/Escrow Landers?

Today I received a "multi-trillion dollar offer" for one of my domains through an Bodis Inquiry Form! There are definite limitations using that one, although if you use the Email verification prior to submission, that should help minimize such "overly-generous offers. "

As for the Bodis/Escrow direct lander, if you have had some sales through it, how quickly did they get processed. And how often did the sale go completely through? Any other issues with them you noted?

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm using Dynadot, they have a 5% commission fee, and you get a landing page.

The only issue is that other registrars don't show that they're for sale when you look up the domains.

Last edited:
•••
Back