Dynadot

services What are best alternatives to DAN? (Since GoDaddy has bought & ruined the service as expected)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Maxxo

Established Member
Impact
Can anyone recommend some good alternatives to DAN that don't have such high commission fees? DAN user interface is still nice, but Godaddy really screwed the pooch with increase on commission fees from 9% to 15% and 25% for not using their nameservers. I guess that's no surprise. Too bad DAN sold out for an exit paycheck. Bummer.

I guess Efty is in a prime spot to add DAN users like me who are looking to jump ship.

Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Wait.. can we have bodis landers without any ads? And can we attach Escrow api to bodis?
Yes, you can. Here is one of the names I have listed there so you can see the lander. https://biogrocery.com/ I removed all parking and attached escrow via the backend api within Bodis. I pay 0% commission and the buyer pays Escrow fees. So if a name sells (by someone who types in the name into a search engine) I pay $0 and earn the full sale price.

•••
Combo Escrow up with a free Bodis sales lander. Nice way to sell domains for free. You can even park with Bodis while waiting for the sale if you'd like.
Absolutely this may be an interesting alternative. The Bodis lander is free and there is no commission for the sale through them. Escrow.com provides the 3% transaction fees, although the minimums can be an issue for the lower priced domains. A $100 domain ends up being about 10% overall to Escrow, for example. International fees do weigh in as well.

The limitation currently is that Bodis only provides the Escrow sale feature, not their newer "make offer" function.
Right now, you can have make inquiry with an offer presented to you via Bodis, but there is no commitment by the buyer to actually pay that price initially when you accept it.

Could the real game changer might be having the "make offer" Escrow feature so that the buyer is committed, and all one needs to do is approve that offer with a click. Do you think that might make a signficant difference?

Many folks across the world recognize the Escrow.com name, and might be reassured to have this direct buying offer option with the seller?

Last edited:
•••
The limitation currently is that Bodis only provides the Escrow sale feature, not their newer "make offer" function.
I hope, at this very moment, Matt is working on a way to integrate multiple payment options into the Bodis platform as he has done with Escrow.

It would be fine with me if he charged a 2-3% fee for us using the Bodis lander in the way described above to make a sale.

•••
I hope, at this very moment, Matt is working on a way to integrate multiple payment options into the Bodis platform as he has done with Escrow.
Huge opportunity.

•••
If you ask me, the GoDaddy or Dan landers are very good for 15% commission, they build trust because GoDaddy is a trusted brand.
Trust factor? Does GoDaddy have a high trust factor at this point?

In the U.S., the Better Business Bureau reports do carry some weight. Sadly, GoDaddy is currently about a 1 out of 5. Trust Pilot, curiously, is about a 4.7 out of 5, but there are numerous recent reviews that are pretty bad. Are they true. Well, the customer complaints that include their long phone waits will be deemed credible by anyone recently who had to wait the 1-2 hours for support.

Basically, isn't it very possible that there are a number of folks out there who had bad experiences with GoDaddy, and absolutely will not buy a domain through them? Trust once lost is hard to build back. Read the critical reviews on both sites, and ask yourself if one of those dissatified customer is readily going to buy your domain after landing on one of their landers? Could it actually hurt your possibility of a sale?

Last edited:
•••
Yes, you can. Here is one of the names I have listed there so you can see the lander. https://biogrocery.com/ I removed all parking and attached escrow via the backend api within Bodis. I pay 0% commission and the buyer pays Escrow fees. So if a name sells (by someone who types in the name into a search engine) I pay $0 and earn the full sale price.
This right here.. is a legit solution I have been looking for a loong time!

•••
Wait.. can we have bodis landers without any ads? And can we attach Escrow api to bodis?
Yes, they are actually the preferred landers now for all of my domains. And you can even switch from parking to their free straight sales landers only, with a click of a button.

There are some really neat features as well with the sales landers. To minimize spam, you can add an email verification. You have a section to provide a description. If you want to be able to expedite an offer submitted, you can have the potential buyer add their phone number. This might speed things along to allow you to directly submit the offer for processing to Escrow.com---if that's the choice you make for transactions with these landers.

•••
Yes, they are actually the preferred landers now for all of my domains. And you can even switch from parking to their free straight sales landers only, with a click of a button.

There are some really neat features as well with the sales landers. To minimize spam, you can add an email verification. You have a section to provide a description. If you want to be able to expedite an offer submitted, you can have the potential buyer add their phone number. This might speed things along to allow you to directly submit the offer for processing to Escrow.com---if that's the choice you make for transactions with these landers.
If Bodis can make these landers... and if Efty can link directly to Dan's 5% "bring your own lead" commission... can Bodis do the same? Can they have a landing page that links directly to Dan's 5% "bring your own lead" offer?

•••
If Bodis can make these landers... and if Efty can link directly to Dan's 5% "bring your own lead" commission... can Bodis do the same? Can they have a landing page that links directly to Dan's 5% "bring your own lead" offer?
Great question. There is no suggestion that this is the case on the Bodis website, but they have great customer support, and you could always ask them or DAN directly.

Note that there is a fascinating possibility with Bodis. They do allow you, for free, to forward your domain to a specific URL of your choice. So, let's say you have one custom lander that has your portfolio listed. It appears that with Bodis, you could make all your domains forward to that specific URL. That's a feature that I only noticed today, after your interesting question. Thanks! That might open up some really creative possibilities!

And, do keep in mind that you can even selectively choose which domains to have parked, which have sales landers, and which are forwarded elsewhere. And you can test various settings out with great ease and without the need for customer support. And you can even keep private notes on the domains in another section. Nice features!

Last edited:
•••
Great question. There is no suggestion that this is the case on the Bodis website, but they have great customer support, and you could always ask them or DAN directly.

Note that there is a fascinating possibility with Bodis. They do allow you, for free, to forward your domain to a specific URL of your choice. So, let's say you have one custom lander that has your portfolio listed. It appears that with Bodis, you could make all your domains forward to that specific URL. That's a feature that I only noticed today, after your interesting question. Thanks! That might open up some really creative possibilities!

And, do keep in mind that you can even selectively choose which domains to have parked, which have sales landers, and which are forwarded elsewhere. And you can test various settings out with great ease and without the need for customer support. And you can even keep private notes on the domains in another section. Nice features!
Sounds to me like Bodis has the potential to take advantage of a huge opportunity. Right now.

•••
Sounds to me like Bodis has the potential to take advantage of a huge opportunity. Right now.
Perhaps. Overall, it's probably best for others with much more knowledge and experience with this company to provide their views.
Overall, custom landers could be the even better option, considering Escrow.com's apps to BIN and make an offer. That avoids potential ad-blocking issues, where Bodis landers, even if used solely for domain sales, may have limitations. Also, if you use a hosting company with a very basic monthly plan and your own custom landers, perhaps that would minimize concerns about forwarding services? Not sure, but opportunities abound!

Last edited:
•••
Lets think globally. GoDaddy does what is good for them. We should do what is good for us. Own landers is the first thing imho. HD does it, Mike Mann does it, anybody can. Potential outcomes: freedom, full control, easier to select or switch processing providers (case by case basis), no adblock issues, etc. Selling with BIN? Link the buynow button to dynadot (namesilo, porkbun) marketplace listing if appropriate, or to daaz maybe. Not to escrow .com (the buyers will need to provide kyc docs on themselves or their company just to purchase something online, a lot of countries not served, etc...). Depending on your location and business setup, consider own merchant account. Selling via makeoffer? After the negotiation is finished, process it via sedo or escrowdomains (Stevan Lieberman).
Questions to be answered (again, case by case basis) - hosting company, server management (shared hosting is not enough for domaining needs, and is not intended to serve hundrends/thousands of domains), bot management, SEO, list or not list domains on sedo/afternic, etc.

Last edited:
•••
Selling with BIN? Link the buynow button to dynadot (namesilo, porkbun) marketplace listing if appropriate, or to daaz maybe. Not to escrow .com (the buyers will need to provide kyc docs on themselves or their company just to purchase something online, a lot of countries not served, etc...).
Excllent point about Escrow.com and the KYC. However, if the buyer has already done the kyc with Escrow.com, they presumably wouldn't have to repeat this?

As for the marketplaces, what would be great is being able direct a the registrar's lander directly to the marketplace listing. Namecheap doesn't offer that. Have any of the others added this feature yet (Dyandot, NameSilo, Porkbun, etc?)

Selling via makeoffer? After the negotiation is finished, process it via sedo or escrowdomains (Stevan Lieberman).
You have had good experiences with these? I''m curious about escrowdomains, which we don't hear much about on the forum. Why do you like that escrow as a Dan alternative?

•••
if the buyer has already done the kyc with Escrow.com, they presumably wouldn't have to repeat this?
I think no. But, how many occasional buyers (endusers) do have a verified escrow .com account?

As for the marketplaces, what would be great is being able direct a the registrar's lander directly to the marketplace listing. Namecheap doesn't offer that. Have any of the others added this feature yet (Dyandot, NameSilo, Porkbun, etc?)
Unsure did I understand the question correctly, but if you have listed the domain on such a marketplace - you may either "park" the domain with them (not the thing we are discussing now) OR obtain appropriate link code for your own lander, or for custom forsale url on lets say bodis parked page, so the visitors who are purchasing the domain will arrive to the registrars website, pay and receive the domain instantly... as mentioned registar powered marketplaces are for domans regged with said registrars.

You have had good experiences with these? I''m curious about escrowdomains, which we don't hear much about on the forum. Why do you like that escrow as a Dan alternative?
in U.S., lawyers are allowed to provide escrow services and they do not need to obtain a separate escrow license to do so. It is exactly what G&L Escrow (escrowdomains dot com) does. Stevan Lieberman’s reputation is unquestionable.
https://www.namepros.com/threads/escrowdomains-com.1215743/

Last edited:
•••
The landing page is being blocked by Adblocker and Firefox is blocking it even without a Adblocker.

•••
I think you can go with DaaZ .com

I've sold some domains on DaaZ .com. And every time I was satisfied using their services. Near 24/7 chat service is an added advantage for DaaZ .com....Because many times we need assistance and marketplaces take so much time for responding. But DaaZ responds quickly.

Apart from that, the payout is faster than many marketplaces. I got my payout in 2-4 hours. Sometimes even quicker.

DaaZ has only 5% fee for Buy Now listings. They charge 8% for Lease to Own option. DaaZ Secure is another great option to sell multiple domains in a single transaction.

You can definitely try DaaZ .com to sell your domains...Thanks

•••
•••
Put all the lipstick you want on a pig, still a pig. Domainio landers are exactly what I want. Email. Phone. Chat widget.
Button goes right to namesilo checkout.
Efty no ssl unless you forward internally. Dorion has an efty thread here, I kept it pretty much alive.
Had acct there 5-6 years. Rip
No comparison imo
Efty are currently beta testing smart landers and to my understanding there will be ssl for every page, without the need to forward internally, once they're launched.

Edit: you can read about them here- https://blog.efty.com/2022/09/30/changing-the-domain-game-with-smart-landers/

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, own custom landing pages should be well tested. Not only on mobile and basic desktop browsers. Also, the code is important. And even the page size. I am wondering is it really necessary to send 1.2 MB of data with 57 http requests to each visitor on ns5/ns6 gd-afternic BIN landing pages for example? Probably, no. Far from optimal. And, professinal design/development is a must. There are a lot of things to think of. Just one example - beleive or not, many visitors do still print websites. Try to print your custom lander, or save it as pdf. Does it look good on paper? Most likely no, if the developer forgot about separate "styles" for printing...

Last edited:
•••
If Sedo add:

1- a third name server verification system
2- 10% max commission when using their landing page (make offer included)
3- 15% max commission when sold throught their network

It could be a good alternative

Last edited:
•••
The landing page is being blocked by Adblocker and Firefox is blocking it even without a Adblocker.
It did go through on Chrome. But the Adblockers are definitely an issue. The one interesting point that came up before on an issue with these landers is that still the domain sale link at the top of the page tended to work despite some adblocking.

Tonight I tested another feature of Bodis-- the URL choice. You can do a link to the specific marketplace page for someone to click on to buy your domain. Feel free to test this with Bodis Lander Example leading to NC Marketplace Domain Sale In One Click.
While still perhaps a limited solution due to AdBlocking Issues, this might give some flexibility for a "one click to buy at my registrar marketplace."

No worries about Escrow kyc issues at least at that point! Granted, the commission and fees would be higher than Escrow,com, but it might be an interesting option for some folks to explore.

Note that now Bodis has direct links for Above and Efty marketplaces. So it appears that more options are becoming available through them.

Last edited:
•••
bodis inquiry..free.
then add lead to dan at 5percent

that's how smart folks always used dan and continue to do so now.. nothing has changed ... nothing ruined... but only for smart folk... rest can go pay 25percent now

•••
•••
DaaZ has only 5% fee for Buy Now listings. They charge 8% for Lease to Own option. DaaZ Secure is another great option to sell multiple domains in a single transaction.
Saw their marketplace. Seems to have a nice search engine. It's the first one I've seen that has a category for

"naval." So very British!
bodis inquiry..free.
then add lead to dan at 5percent

that's how smart folks always used dan and continue to do so now.. nothing has changed ... nothing ruined... but only for smart folk... rest can go pay 25percent now
Have the inquiry forms been successful for you? Sure, it would be great if that alone was successful. However, it's unclear if the adblocking makes this ineffective. That's why I'm testing out the URL forwarding directly to the marketplace listing
I would sign up for Efty today if it were less expensive. Lots of other people would too.
Paying the money up front is questionable, given sales lately.

But, in the opening question here, the possibility of using SAV landers was raised, with their 4% commission. AND, as @Bob Hawkes pointed out today, the domains can be at other registrars, and still listed on their marketplace. That sounds like a phenomenal alternative. Has anyone ever had success selling on SAV with their domains registered elsewhere?

This is the link to Bob's commentary today Sav Landers

•••
This is the link to Bob's commentary today Sav Landers
Just wanted to stress that the fact that the Sav lander is not https is a significant downside of Sav landers (the page they go to buy is https of course). I hope they will correct that. Two people also reported slow response with Sav landers coming up, although I directly observe it. It may be related to mobile and cellular in some way.

I agree it is an alternative to consider. I have only the one trial listed so no sales. I have listed and sold names registered at Sav though, with a smooth process. They just transfer the name and send you an email that your fund balance has been increased. There is a wait time before it can be withdrawn, don't remember how many days.

-Bob

•••
Back