IT.COM

What Afternic setup is best for sale conversion?

NameSilo
Watch

What Afternic setup is best for sale conversion?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Fixed price strategy or Buy Now only

votes
    50.0%
  • Buy Now + 85% of Buy Now as starting offer

votes
    0.0%
  • Buy Now + 65% of Buy Now as starting offer

votes
    11.5%
  • Buy Now + Random starting offer

votes
    26.9%
  • Other strategy (comment below)

votes
    11.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

justsand

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

I hope everyone is doing well in domaining as well as in life.

Just one simple question for those who are using Afternic or selling domains on Afternic frequently. What Afternic setup is best for sale conversion?

GoDaddy uses 65% of Buy Now price as the starting offer for their "NameFind" portfolio as well as for the domains listed on GD auctions.

Whereas big player MikeMann uses 85% of the Buy Now price as starting offer for his domains listed on Afternic. On the other side, Swetha (XYZ queen) opted for a fixed-price strategy with no starting offer/Make Offer option for all domains on all platforms.

So, which setup is ideal for sale conversion on Afternic?

Please share your experience/expertise with Afternic listings and strategies that help you to get sales.

Thank you for your precious time :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
While The buy now works well on afternic, listing is A hassle ,where most of the entries come back as already listed, changing nameservers and now pointing them to afternic at the time of listing should trump any old listing or especially when I just registered a new name that wasn’t regged an hour ago ,each customer should be assigned a unique nameserver to override and old bullshit old listings ,where fast transfer approvals from other companies can cause someone else(an old owner) to get paid from a domain you just listed at godaddy .

•••
While The buy now works well on afternic, listing is A hassle ,where most of the entries come back as already listed, changing nameservers and now pointing them to afternic at the time of listing should trump any old listing or especially when I just registered a new name that wasn’t regged an hour ago ,each customer should be assigned a unique nameserver to override and old bullshit old listings ,where fast transfer approvals from other companies can cause someone else(an old owner) to get paid from a domain you just listed at godaddy .
Thank you for your reply but it is off-topic.

•••
So, which setup is ideal for sale conversion on Afternic?

•••
What do you mean by starting offer? Are you referring to what Afternic calls the Floor Price or the Minimum Offer?

•••
Using the minimum offer worked for me. A request for information was sent, and the sale was finalized within a matter of days after responding---including payment. Excellent customer service from Afternic. Very impressed.

•••
•••
•••
yes what? which one is what you call starting offer? the floor price or minimum offer? they are different
Starting offer refers to "minimum offer", which is visible to buyers.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I personally like make offer. To each their own. The bottom line is the name matters. Then the price. Not what lander etc etc. A shit name with optimal lander is still a shit name. You see what I mean?

That being said these threads pop up all the time and people get tired of answering the same questions. Search function of the forum works fine.

•••
For afternic, you NEEED a BIN if the price is less than 100K.
That is a no brainer. I use AFternic for their FT network and you need a BIN to have your name show up the reg path of their FT partners.

Afternic doesn't have a make offer option the Lander so it is not very relevant.
It only shows make offer when the name is being searched in the Marketplace.

I neer touch the min offer field, so it is $20 for me and it had never bothered me.
I sold some 40 names on Afternic last year and I had only 2 make offer sales.

I had to relist my names after some Issue when when I sent my csv, I forgot to add minimum offer and for a couple months I had Min offer= BIN and even then a Buyer reached out to AFternic broker and made me an offer about 70% of sales price.

So I feel the make offer is not make or break IMO.

In my Opinion, make offer only is good if you only have a small very high quality portfolio and you want to make the most out of every name,

I don't like dealing with clients. And I don't feel good haggling for $1000 so I prefer straight BIN with little interaction. Why do you think I work from a Man Cave? So my opinion is biased

I also don't price individually. I play the portfolio game and have found that BINs give me the most bang for the buck. For my portfolio in particular, The increase in total revenue using a good pricing model makes up for any potential loss of a small sale or the one off lotto sale from a make offer.

•••
Afternic doesn't have a make offer option the Lander so it is not very relevant.
When you use Afternic's NS3 and NS4, you will get price request / make offer landers. And indeed, I agree that setting BIN is king ⚡

Last edited:
•••
When you use Afternic's NS3 and NS4, you will get price request / make offer landers. And indeed, I agree that setting BIN is king ⚡
I agree, I thought the Price Request would be an additional filter to qualify leads, but I got more Jun leads with NS3/NS4 than the tire kicker offers on DAN. They all mad. Make offers are a headache mostly lol, unless you set the make offer at 75% but then I don't thin anyone paying close to 75% of your BIN might have hesitated to go for straight BIN

Last edited:
•••
I would like to invite @DNGear, @AbdulBasit.com, @twiki, @Nikul Sanghvi, @blogspotter, @Future Sensors, @Paul Nicks, @Joe Styler, @Bob Hawkes to discuss your experience or expertise with Afternic listings/sales.

I follow and read these domainers on NamePros. If you find anyone relevant to discuss this post please add them!

Thank you for your time :)
I’ve had a fantastic last year which was another record breaking one than 2020. The last year ended with just a little over 6,300 domains in my portfolio and 120+ domain sales in total with around 2.5% STR. I use NS3/NS4 with all domains having set up BIN no matter whatever the price range they're in.

Overall, I'm very happy with Afternic.

•••
I agree, I thought the Price Request would be an additional filter to qualify leads, but I got more Jun leads with NS3/NS4 than the tire kicker offers on DAN. They all mad. Make offers are a headache mostly lol, unless you set the make offer at 75% but then I don't thin anyone paying close to 75% of your BIN might have hesitated to go for straight BIN
Have you tried Buy Now landers (NS5/6) over Price request (NS3/4) for BIN strategy as landers show price, call-to-action button, phone number, broker details, importantly, no make offer links?

Aren't NS5/6 landers works best for fixed price/BIN only domains?

•••
Have you tried Buy Now landers (NS5/6) over Price request (NS3/4) for BIN strategy as landers show price, call-to-action button, phone number, broker details, importantly, no make offer links?

I've tried ns5/ns6 BIN landers just after introduction, but there were problems, e.g. with https (TLS) traffic, and no insights in visitors. Moved to Dan and Alter for BIN landers, but still passively listing all my domains on Afternic with BIN. Even without pointing your landers to Afternic, the Afternic Premium network still does a very good job.

•••

I plan to do it some point this year. When I tried last year, half my names didn't show up BINs and I got frustrated and switch back. But I heard those kinks have been ironed out now.

I plan to do a test for a couple months to compare since I get most sales on AF anyway.
Problem is it is too much work and as a part time domainer, most of my domaining time is on purchase side and with a system that worked very well in 2021, I don't want to change too much too soon.

•••
I'm new to Afternic, how does one actually select a lander like NS3/NS4?

•••
At your registrar, you point the nameservers for your domains to ns3.afternic.com and ns4.afternic.com.

Last edited:
•••
Simply change the nameservers to:

ns3.afternic.com
ns4.afternic.com

•••
That is a no brainer. I use AFternic for their FT network and you need a BIN to have your name show up the reg path of their FT partners.

I neer touch the min offer field, so it is $20 for me and it had never bothered me.

I had to relist my names after some Issue when when I sent my csv, I forgot to add minimum offer and for a couple months I had Min offer= BIN and even then a Buyer reached out to AFternic broker and made me an offer about 70% of sales price.

In my Opinion, make offer only is good if you only have a small very high quality portfolio and you want to make the most out of every name,

I don't like dealing with clients. And I don't feel good haggling for $1000 so I prefer straight BIN with little interaction. Why do you think I work from a Man Cave? So my opinion is biased

I also don't price individually. I play the portfolio game and have found that BINs give me the most bang for the buck. For my portfolio in particular, The increase in total revenue using a good pricing model makes up for any potential loss of a small sale or the one off lotto sale from a make offer.
You don’t have to have a BIN and I get offers regularly with names listed not pointing to Afternic . Just because it works for you doesn’t mean another way is wrong.

You should only have one bin in place which I do —its just not at Afternic.

•••
•••
You don’t have to have a BIN and I get offers regularly with names listed not pointing to Afternic . Just because it works for you doesn’t mean another way is wrong.

You should only have one bin in place which I do —its just not at Afternic.
It was just my opinion. Didn't mean any other was wrong.
Also I meant to write that you need a BIN if you want to show up in FT network but it came out differently.

If you don't have a BIN, you will of course get offers, because that is the point of no BIN, to take offers. My point was that I got offers via a broker even when my Min Offer was BIN. So i would rather take the frictionless BIN than having to deal with offers.
This is just my preference. No offense meant

Last edited:
•••

Thank you for the insights. If you don't price your domains individually, how do you decide on a price for all of them? And do you ever look at the traffic stats to determine whether it may be worthwhile to change the price higher or lower based on the attention it is getting?

•••
Back