IT.COM

new gtlds We want to go on record about newly introduced domain name extensions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Business Brands

Knowledge is PowerRestricted (Market)
Impact
Hello.

We want to go on record and voice our opinion on recently introduced domain name extensions.

We consider newly introduced domain name extensions such as .club, .click, .xyz and other domain name extensions, that are not a country code extension, nonviable and predict their extinction in the nearest future. If they do not go completely extinct, they may stay stagnant like .mobi does.

We do not support them, we did not register them, we do not broker them and we do not recommend them.

They do not bring any new benefits to compensate for the cost of education about their existence.

Kind regards,

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Huh? .Com is dried up? Thats simply wrong and misleading. There are 70,000 to 100,000 expired domains daily in the legacy extensions. Have you ever looked? It requires a lot of scouring. And, there are plenty of good names on secondary market. Who in real world has really heard of .Top? I have yet to see it on TV advertisement, billboard or other public display. Prove me wrong and post some real examples.

Outside the small domaining world and chinese speculators, where are the end users choosing this extension? Rather than make a broad general statement like that, it would be helpful if you researched and posted the top 100 .TOP websites and their SERP’s. Use quantcast or Alexa for some relative traffic stats. I would love to see it.

Big.Top = Circus
No.Top= Convertible
On.Top = .Com

Hello!anyway thanks for your reply.

Which i mean 'dry out ' is premium.com domain name resources.
For example, if I would like to register at.com but it has been registered since 1993, so compared to other domain name extensions, at.top is a perfect choice for me.
I do not understand why are you resist the development of new things.
.com as an old top-level domain name, developed for so such a long time and I think new domain name extensions also need time to develop themselves.
Our registrants are all over the world including the USA, but if you think United States is also small domaining world , then I have nothing to reply.

•••
I would rather choose at.top as my website than at.com.

Good for you.

Back in the real world that would be an absurd branding decision.

Brad

•••

Just because something is new does not mean it is going to be embraced. It does not mean it is innovative. It does not mean it is beneficial to consumers.

There are endless examples of new products that were not embraced and just faded away into obscurity.

Brad

•••

Which i mean 'dry out ' is premium.com domain name resources.
For example, if I would like to register at.com but it has been registered since 1993, so compared to other domain name extensions, at.top is a perfect choice for me.
.com as an old top-level domain name, developed for so such a long time and I think new domain name extensions also need time to develop themselves.
Our registrants are all over the world including the USA, but if you think United States is also small domaining world , then I have nothing to reply.

The supply of unused and expired .Coms is huge. Premium? Why do you believe AT.Top special? Btw it is not listed at GD and has no price listed. What is the price? AT.Xyz is $3200. And AT.horse is only $2599. AT.Lawyer is $599. None of the are premium imo.

Big.Top is the only premium you even have that makes sense, but Barnum and Bailey went out of business in May 2017, after 98 years in business. Great name for them. But, sadly your registry does not use it somebody either registered it and it sits there not resolving to anywhere, it remains a postage stamp in outer space.

Flat.Top maybe for a 1950’s themed barber shop.

The world is resistant. The world has a .com button on the smartphone keypad. It will never have a .TOP key. A 57’ Chevy will always be a classic and a premium price paid for it. A 93’ KIA or Ford Focus is forgettable.

I challenged you in my previous post to back up your registry with real world end user website data, I made a specific request on .TOP usage, not rhetoric. So I am still waiting for your pitch here to demonstrate how great the extension is, how many advertisements and end user websites were created using it and so forth. Please inform me about how pervasive that it is being used.

Simply making a blanket statement that “Our Registrants are all over the world”, is very unimpressive. I bet your most common and best customers are simply reseller domainers, not end users. But I sure will patiently wait for you to do some homework and in a few days maybe post a list of all these great websites using your TOP extension. Prove me wrong!

•••
Just because something is new does not mean it is going to be embraced. It does not mean it is innovative. It does not mean it is beneficial to consumers.

There are endless examples of new products that were not embraced and just faded away into obscurity.

Brad

So true. Yep. i missed out on punch cards, but I have been around awhile to see and use some like this great invention. Media is good example of consumer acceptance and market lifespan. This was better than tape: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_pack

I used an 8” floppy, then 5.25”, then 3.5”, cassette, 4/8 tracks, reel to reel, the DAT, compact flash, even the betamax was great for a few years. So was the CD. Now the DVD goes bye bye.

The nGtlds, some will stay, some will die. All depends on end users, NOT domainers.

•••
We do not find any legitimate motive for end user adoption of these extensions. Do you?

•••
It's actually very simple.

The core point of the TLD .top is, that it's name (term) is "top" and "top" has a(n untoppable) meaning while (the non - term) "com" doesent even exist as word, it's just an abbrevation for a (toppable) 10 character - word ("com.mercial").

Normally ".com (dot com)" should be shown as "com. (com dot)" becasue of that fact (abbrevation).

Last edited:
•••
So you think that the .xyz extension will fail. Yet, one of the worlds largest companies Alphabet (the owner of Google) uses the .xyz extension for their website (abc.xyz).

•••
So you think that the .xyz extension will fail. Yet, one of the worlds largest companies Alphabet (the owner of Google) uses the .xyz extension for their website (abc.xyz).
If you ask me, I don't think that .xyz will fail - but I simply discovered that it got topped by .top (like any other TLD).

Yes, "Alphabet" owns / uses abc.xyz - but it's not the most expensive domain of all time which is...
...a .top domain.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Last edited:
•••
Good for you.

Back in the real world that would be an absurd branding decision.

Brad

Internet is a virtual world.
While "at.com" doesn't make sense, "at.top" makes sense.

Last edited:
•••
I wonder if the topcom bubble will burst one day?
Every bubble can burst, that's why it is a bubble.
But the point is, that there is no .top bubble.

There is a .top TLD and there are registered .top domains.

Last edited:
•••
My wife and I were walking back from the bay the other evening and took a different street. I noticed two web design / online marketing studios with new TLD domains. One I think was a .Marketing and the other was a .Digital. I couldn't really comprehend the logic of either domain except that I guess they picked them up for reg fee. I also recall recently seeing a new hair salon which had chosen a two-word + .fashion domain. So yes low-budget developers have different options. Will nTLDs turn out to be great investments for the average domainer? I seriously doubt it. Five years from now most domainers will wish they had never heard of nTLDs.

•••
I can buy it for $21600.00 at Dynadot.
So yes, it's a real bargain. That's why 'they' said we needed hundreds of new extensions: to provide website developers with an abundant supply of great and inexpensive names :glasses:
Mission accomplished :xf.smile:

Simply making a blanket statement that “Our Registrants are all over the world”, is very unimpressive. I bet your most common and best customers are simply reseller domainers, not end users.
Judging by the raw mail server logs, I would say the most common and best customers are simply spammers.

•••
Yes, it is true that many great .COM domains as well as .Org, .Net, .TV domains have been in the hands of investors for many years and remain "unavailable" - for reg fee. Despite what companies spend on marketing and IT, they generally don't view domains in the same light. Their domain budgets are $XX. So it is highly likely that portfolios of .XYZ, .TOP .CLUB, .Online etc will remain in the hands of investors until they finally drop them because they can no longer afford the renewals. We have already seen massive numbers of nTLD drops in 2017. The decline is only beginning.

•••
@TOP Registry where is the answer to my questions above? You come on this forum, and post these generalized statements- and I ask you a simple, direct and legitimate question, then you disappear? Why?

Where are the end user websites that use your extension? What is their SERP ranking?

and @KINGOF.TOP I would love to hear what you have to state as facts to defend your choice in extension. I truly do! (Maybe instead of the continuous mumbo jumbo posting of your longtail name toptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptop.com)

http://www.killuminatidomain.top/ what in the world is this page anyway?

You could help enlighten the rest of us on behalf of your registry friend who posted above maybe too, help them out by answering my questions above!!!. I am truly interested in the hard data, the facts of which websites are hosted in the .TOP extension- I mean REAL companies, with REAL products, with REAL Sales and REAL websites are using .TOP !

Please post links to famous TOP websites. I mean, it's sad.

A perfect advertising opportunity by the Registry is being thrown away- wasted. Think about it.
S.Top does not even resolve to anything! Not even a registry page, or for sale page. That's about the most obvious and most valuable and only one character domain letter in front of TOP ! The Top Registry should capitalize on it and have it as their main page!

Last edited:
•••
It's actually very simple.

The core point of the TLD .top is, that it's name (term) is "top" and "top" has a(n untoppable) meaning while (the non - term) "com" doesent even exist as word, it's just an abbrevation for a (toppable) 10 character - word ("com.mercial").

Normally ".com (dot com)" should be shown as "com. (com dot)" becasue of that fact (abbrevation).

so, not so top anymore, actually .loan has over taken .top and xyz leads the way

1 .xyz 2,299,590 2,196
2 .loan 2,157,250 -982
3 .top 1,913,374 -1,657
4 .win 1,021,861 -1,019
5 .club 1,012,876 464
6 .online 711,501 -175
7 .vip 615,480 74
8 .wang (net) 613,440 4
9 .bid 486,763 -864

•••
so, not so top anymore, actually .loan has over taken .top and xyz leads the way

1 .xyz 2,299,590 2,196
2 .loan 2,157,250 -982
3 .top 1,913,374 -1,657
4 .win 1,021,861 -1,019
5 .club 1,012,876 464
6 .online 711,501 -175
7 .vip 615,480 74
8 .wang (net) 613,440 4
9 .bid 486,763 -864

Looks like 3rdfrom.top is a more appropriate domain now.

Brad

•••
We do not find sufficient branding potential in newly introduced domain name extensions. We think they never had to see the light of day.

There are already thousands of companies using new gTLDs as their main domain.

With that said, I also still consider .com to be the king of domains.

Last edited:
•••
•••
comes with the territory - spammers and malware use the cheap names (used to be .info before the new extensions)

•••

1 .xyz 2,299,590 2,196
2 .loan 2,157,250 -982
3 .top 1,913,374 -1,657
4 .win 1,021,861 -1,019
5 .club 1,012,876 464
6 .online 711,501 -175
7 .vip 615,480 74
8 .wang (net) 613,440 4
9 .bid 486,763 -864

I wouldn't even mention .com, as there are no extensions here which are better than .net in any way. However .net is not manipulated by greedy registrars with premium pricing on selected domains. You pay the same renewal fee for car.net as for toploanxzywincar.net.

•••

Brad

.tel anyone?

•••
I would prefer a .Net domain over any new TLD but despite the fact .Net is #2 in registrations and has ample end user usage, .Net is very difficult to sell in the aftermarket. I still have some .Net but after dropping close to 90% of my .Net registrations from years back, I will probably let a few more go in the next few months. Any surprise why I think nTLDs are a waste of money?

•••

1 .xyz 2,299,590 2,196
2 .loan 2,157,250 -982
3 .top 1,913,374 -1,657
4 .win 1,021,861 -1,019
5 .club 1,012,876 464
6 .online 711,501 -175
7 .vip 615,480 74
8 .wang (net) 613,440 4
9 .bid 486,763 -864

Again, in the case of .top it is not crucial how many domains are registered to remain as "top" - because, as I said before, the term "top" is, from it's meaning, "untoppable".
Means, even if .top would stand on the last place in this rank, it would still be "top" from it's meaning.

I can understand that this unbeatable fact is probably not easy to accept for everyone, especially not for those who are investing in other TLD's.
But it doesn't help, .top means "top" and will always mean "top" - no matter how the weather is.

Also in the Top10mostAbusedExtensions.Top

Goo gle lists them up at With 32% of sites surveyed as malware, spam and other glorious stats. I noticed that DomainGang had posted this on his site today.
http://domaingang.com/domain-news/spamhaus-october-2017-update-the-10-most-abused-tlds/

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

comes with the territory - spammers and malware use the cheap names (used to be .info before the new extensions)
That's sad - but we all know that this goes up and down and one day .top will not longer remain in this list - in average, .top's spam rate is constantly abating.

Nearly the "all time - Nr. #1 - spam country" are the USA:

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/countries/

In the same sense as you (I mean all from the USA) are not responsible for that USA - spam, I am not responsible for those who abuse .top for spam.

Everyone from the USA who is seriously recommending a non - usage of .top because of those USA - spammers, should seriously ask himself if he would leave the USA because of them.
Simply the same nonsense.

Don't let the "field" (name space) to those who are "polluting" (spamming) it, don't .

I am a proud .top domainer with a masterplan - no matter what others think or write.

Others can be proud .com domainers, although I am just wondering about it, since there is a .top TLD now.

Last edited:
•••
Everyone from the USA who is seriously recommending a non - usage of .top because of those USA - spammers, should seriously ask himself if he would leave the USA because of them.
Of course, this was a typo - here is, what I actually wanted to write:

Everyone from the USA who is seriously recommending a non - usage of .top because of its (.top's) spammers, should seriously ask himself if he would leave the USA because of its (USA's) spammers.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back