NameSilo

We Want Forever Registration!

Located in General Domain Discussion started by Welberch, Nov 6, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

1. Michael Ehrhardt

Michael Ehrhardt Upgraded Member Gold Account VIP

yes

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Pay.My.id

Pay.My.id Established Member

I feel that we still remembered about alpnames case, forever registration is only another option , its not ideal solution in some situation

3. Rob Monster

Rob Monster CEO, Epik Epik.com Staff PRO Gold Account VIP

Or, better yet, choose your Forever registrar wisely.

4. Pay.My.id

Pay.My.id Established Member

That's true Rob, Forever registration seems suitable for people who want to be forever domain investor

5. lock

lock PremiumNameDomain.com VIP

I am one against it what is to stop hoarding names never to be used again. The current system is how your going to get big numbers on reselling.

6. Ryan217

Ryan217 Established Member

Theres no way for anyone to know if Epik or any other registrar will still be around and honoring these 50 20 ot even 10 years from now.

7. lock

Maybe he should dye his hair. lol I will put a wig on.

8. Ategy

Ategy NameCult.com Gold Account VIP

Not really ... 7% growth on $7.85 is $0.55 .. to make up the difference we're talking about needing an extra 0.14% in return on the $392. Plus I based my initial calculation on after the 4th 7% hike.
    At $392, they only need to make 2.00% interest to pay the current $7.85, then the cost increases to the fund is 0.14% more for every 7% increase in registration. Considering the average market performance is significantly more than that, unless there is a huge unrecovered crash at the start (and even then it probably would be fine), then there really is no danger unless a registrar closes for other reasons.

2.6% was actually the amount after the 4th 7% increase in wholesale renewal cost. While the difference between 2% and 2.6% might seem like alot, it's based on the same original $392 .. and we need to keep in mind that the markets will likely outperform that to increase that base $392, which in turn would mean actually needing less than 2.6%. In fact, if we go by theoretical averages, the fund should actually grow in the long term, making the financial viability truly "forever".

The only issue is a serious crash at the start, which certainly is possible given the very unpredictable state of the world today, but it would have to be worse than the worse crash ever with no recovery. The chances are far more that a registrar uses the funds for something else and then also goes bankrupt for different reasons.

For most people, it's no secret that in terms of a pure money play, you're better off paying year by year and keep the extra $392 in the markets collecting interest yourself. However, it's important to keep in mind that this forever option is not about that .. it's about security and stability .. which is worth vastly more than $392 if you have an important domain or a big company. As I said .. forever domains really aren't good for domainers for many reasons .. but they can be a very good option for end users depending on their company and circumstances.

As a domainer of only 3 years, I've already resold an expired domain I got at auction back to the original owner. I gave it to him relatively cheap because of the circumstances .. but it was still more than $392.

There are tons of pros/cons regarding forever domains .. but the financial viability of the concept when initial price is 50x, really isn't an issue in any way. That's not to say a registrar couldn't go bankrupt for other reasons, but as long as they charge around 50x of the current renewal cost, they won't go bankrupt because of forever domains unless market fundamentals turn on their head.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  9. lock

Quality example of a great domainer experience with ethics assisting in domain recovery without exploitation and being compensated on time with happy customers. thumbs up.
    You don't have to push them away with big number abandoning project.

10. Ryan217

Ryan217 Established Member

In an ideal world the math pans out. In reality things are never that clean. There are lots of pitfalls and I for one wouldn't put my money at risk because it should work out on paper.

11. lock

Domain actuary never thought it was required. Guess when you get enough....

12. postscripter

postscripter Upgraded Member Gold Account

blockchain domains are forever. like .zil
    unstoppabledomains.com

13. Rob Monster

Thanks for that, but I decided better to age gracefully. I am 52 years old, in good health and no grand kids for the foreseeable future despite having raised 5 otherwise productive kids. Lord-willing, I will assemble a management team that will lead the company regardless of my day to day role. That being said, I can assure you that I am having a ton of fun. Believe it or not, I don't know anyone whose job I would rather have right now. Sounds crazy, I know

14. JB Lions

JB Lions Top Member VIP

Doesn't really make sense for domainers. Already a long thread talking about all of this and all the problems.

Good for registrars, lot of money up front. But most domainers are trying to sell domains, not keep them forever. It's money better spent elsewhere, like other renewals, new acquisitions. Then it doesn't transfer over. You buy a forever registration at 1 registrar, it's stuck there.

Not sure if this was ever addressed, but the Escrow thread you linked to, Barrie said you approached him to sell Epik. What if that took place, does the new owner have to go along with it? Then again the other point, you can't transfer to another registrar. You could sell a domain with this kind of reg but the new buyers might have their own favorite registrar.

You guys can just set your domains to auto-renewal at your favorite registrar already if keeping up with renewals is too much for you. Or reg them for more than just 1 year.

15. Rob Monster

See the detailed terms for Forever domains:

https://www.epik.com/forever.php

An acquirer could refund the Forever registrants in full. They would keep their pre-paid registrations which is always 10 years into the future.

As for selling Epik, the company is not for sale. We are having way too much fan and growing with an accelerating pace. We likely will do as much revenue in Q4 2019 as we did in all of 2018. Maybe more.

As for the conversation with Matt, it was at a time when I was still looking for the evidence that I was working on the right thing. I have the confirmation I needed. Thankfully Matt Barrie will never own Epik. Ever.

16. ahmed gamil

ahmed gamil Fekra-vb.Com

i really need that but i don't think it will be happened:xf.grin:

17. Winfluence

Winfluence Top Member VIP

I'm for lower reg/renewal fees. Lower it to $3/yr.... But infinite registration sounds like a terrible idea...

18. b2betrade

b2betrade Upgraded Member Blue Account

Why forever
    Nothing is forever
    If u r end-user go for 10-20 year registration
    If u r domainer buy 40-50 domains in $400 and earn 2x-3x by selling 1-2 domain from 40-50

19. AbdulBasit.com

AbdulBasit.com DomainsWeb.com AbdulBasit.com PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

+1

20. Tia Wood

Tia Wood Business Website Consultant VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

[​IMG]

21. Rob Monster

Thanks, but not responsible for this thread, if that is what you are implying.

22. Tia Wood

Tia Wood Business Website Consultant VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

No I was just poking fun at your mistype lol

23. Rob Monster

Totally missed that --- now I can laugh with you, and I can laugh at myself too!

24. Ategy

Ategy NameCult.com Gold Account VIP

@Rob Monster .. you might want to edit the fine print from:

" ... then Epik shall renew the Forever Domain for the maximum period permitted by the applicable domain registry that governs said domain"

To this:

" ... then Epik shall renew the Forever Domain for the maximum period permitted by the applicable domain registry that governs said domain for up to 10 years"

Because it seems there are some TLDs that have allowed over 10 years. I want to guess .ws had 99 years at one point .. although not sure if it was a similar registrar-level promo. Either way .. best to cover your butt .. because much beyond 10 years and the math starts to break down. Also, with ICANN, you never know what the heck they're going to allow/disallow/change next! :-/

25. Rob Monster

Fair point there. Will review with @Ala Dadan. Thanks.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice