NameOmnia

In DisguiseTop Member
Impact
I have just received this email which is CLEARLY a fake one

Dear GoDaddy Customer,

=============================================
IMMEDIATE VERIFICATION REQUIRED FOR xxxx.COM
=============================================

*ICANN, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, requires that all domain registrars maintain correct and current WHOIS contact data for domain owners.

You have registered one or more domains from Godaddy Inc. and verification of the Registrant email address is required for these domain name(s) to remain active. Please click the link below to verify the email address. If you don't verify your email address, we’re required to temporarily put your website on hold until verification is complete.*
Please cut-and-paste the following URL into an open web browser to complete the verification process:

www. godaddy- support. com/ domains/ contact- validation /mailverify/ VerificationCode=473E-RTFU-QSZl -Z2QL- EFEE38A5869

Please do not reply to this email. Emails sent to this address will not be answered.
Thanks for being a GoDaddy customer.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright (C)1999-2015 GoDaddy Operating Company, LLC. 14455 N. Hayden Rd, Ste. 219, Scottsdale, AZ 85260. All rights reserved.

( sent from : <tencent_72919C4F6711907B6F59ABB1@qq.com> obviously CHINESE
user agent : QQMail 2.x )

Whether it's a new or old one I don't know, I have never received one like this before but those of you who are new to the industry please pay attention to the bolded text.

ORIGINAL GD EMAILS
- contain customer ID and name/surname
- contain a clickable link; you are never asked to copy and paste ( careful though, fake ones have clickable links too )

ALWAYS
- check the extended email source and details ( in this case it came out that it was sent from a qq.com email address )

As for the part in red I am not sure if the real emails contain it; maybe someone else can help with this.

Anyways, watch out!

EMAIL LIKE THIS ONE ARE THE MAIN MEDIUM USED TO STEAL YOUR DOMAIN NAMES.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Already got that ....... one minute after I had just regged a name at Godaddy and was still logged in, so I went to my messages and could not see anything ........ignored

•••
I received a mail from sales @ godaddy . com
Action required:
etc etc etc
which has the same wording as your post.

I tend to check every mail address with subject Godaddy email verification.

•••
I would strongly caution anyone receiving emails claiming to be from godaddy to go to their godaddy account directly in the browser and not click the links. If you have any questions on anything you receive please contact us first. This email is obviously a fake. Good catch and thanks for posting it.

•••
I did receive an e-mail from godaddy a while back asking me to click a link to verify my email address. I called support before clicking the link as I assumed it was a phishing attempt. Support told me it was a real email.

Here is more on the subject and how to protect yourself.

http://domaingang.com/domain-news/the-godaddy-email-confirmation-mess-do-it-in-the-domain-manager/

I'm not blaming godaddy as it appears they are just trying to comply with a new ICANN policy but I would recommend using the steps in the article above to have the email resent when YOU request it to minimize the risk.

Last edited:
•••
I have gotten that as well when registering new domains.

•••
Some of the emails are REAL
Yesterday I registered some new names and I have received a verification email from GD, a real one and you can easily see how different they are. Plus I always pay extreme attention to the points I have mentioned in the OP.

•••
Some of the emails are REAL
Yesterday I registered some new names and I have received a verification email from GD, a real one and you can easily see how different they are. Plus I always pay extreme attention to the points I have mentioned in the OP.
I will just have to keep an eye out.

•••

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 2.47.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 2.47.28 AM.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 60
•••
Thanks for pointing it out. I received something like this. Confused !

It seems a real one but to be sure you should check the full source info and maybe even contact GD.

•••
Bottom line:
Never click on links in emails.
Go directly to the company website (in this case godaddy).

•••
Thank you for reporting this.

The link is a LIVE phishing web site, which I hope GoDaddy will take down by contacting Namesilo, its registrar. Anyone who entered any info after visiting that email, better change your password AND enable two-factor authentication ASAP!

I've put together an article documenting what's going on, with a backlink here.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back