Dynadot

WARNING: How to Avoid Domain Scams and Scammers

NameSilo
Watch
Prevention:

Google the domain (also try adding words like stolen, scammed, help, missing, etc), asking other domainers about the domain in question, checking the various marketplaces and making sure things add up... The biggest single indicator of a potential scam is the price. A scammer will want to price the domain low enough that it sells before he gets caught. Keep a watchful eye on new members. Recently modified whois is another warning sign. If other indicators are present (ex. extremely low price), proceed with extreme caution.

Some known scams:

1. Appraisal Scam -- If they ask for an appraisal, it's probably a scam.

2. Snail mail scam letters -- Letters through the mail reminding you to renew your domains from companies which aren't your current registrar

3. Compromised web-based email accounts and keyloggers -- Using an email provided to you by your Internet Service Provider is generally safer than web-based email solutions. There have been known security flaws in certain webmail applications in the past (ex. Gmail) which made compromising member accounts considerably easier than guessing a password. Understand the risks involved with using a web-based solution. Download spyware software such as Adaware Lavasoft and scan your computer daily. Keyloggers are A) easy to put on someone's computer and B) potentially catastrophic to a web based business.

4. Unauthorizing funds (particularly bad with Paypal). Paypal makes it very easy to create chargebacks. Don't accept large amounts by Paypal unless you're dealing with people you absolutely trust. Moneybookers/Escow.com are a step above Paypal, however the best option would be to go with a true escrow service such as Sedo Escrow, Moniker Domain Escrow Service or EscrowDNS.

5. Emails saying your domain requires renew/transfer/you to take a certain action. Check the email and make sure that A) it's from your registrar and B) the url mentioned matches what your registrar's would be. Safer to just visit the registrar than click the links in the email.

6. Incorrect Whois emails -- if your whois isn't incorrect, beware. Phone your registrar if you think they made a mistake.

7. Traffic/Click Fraud -- Self explanatory. If it isn't direct navigation it shouldn't be sold as such. Due diligence is required here.

8. Hijacking -- If you use one of your own domain names as the nameserver, be sure to make sure it doesn't expire or someone could fraudulently gain control of your domains.

9. Escrow.com is NOT 100% safe. They do not cover stolen domains -- buyer beware. Don't think processing a "bargain" through Escrow.com won't potentially end in you being out money. In the event a domain is stolen from someone's account, the domain WILL be returned to the original owner and you'll be out whatever you paid for the domain.

10. One thing I should add: Most free webmail providers will delete accounts after certain periods of inactivity. A clever scammer could notice that your Hotmail/Yahoo/other webmail account had expired, register that same email address (which is now available) and then proceed to "Request Password" at various registrars using what was previously your email address. If you plan on using your webmail infrequently, it's recommend you verify what amount of inactivity is tolerable and won't result in email account deletion.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
filter said:
hi, welcome ... not sure what to tell you, but might be useful to list the domains in question here. (Or not - others might have different opinions on this. Just a suggestion to consider ...)

Yeah, that might be good, though I'm not sure.

That way we can be on the lookout for someone trying to re-sale them.

•••
would be good to get some clarification from Mark or other NP admins re this post ->
Mark said:
Actually - You guys NEED to stop posting in the forum like this and Actually start reporting items to the Mods/Staff etc ... We have a system in place for this.
Seems like that suggestion has to do with transactions taking place on NP ...

Now, there are apparently 30 LLLL.com from bad trades on DP out there. I don't see any real downside to knowing what to keep an eye out for - though would want to be cautious when posting other people's personal details from WHOIS etc - given that scammers may have mis-appropriated other people's identities as well as the domains in question ....

•••
epasaport said:
Netizen thanks for your support, italiandragon and mark keep your insulting advices to your self your always same donny parked.com closed my account and not give my $300, moderator deleted my topices this is my second get scammed in namepros first was parked.com as you already understand , I am still struggling to take my domain

Insulting? :-/

Are you for real? I gave you my best advice and you call it insulting?

Go get scammed, who cares, I should not give a damn wasting my time to help you.....really. :yell:

•••
Has anyone had any LLLL.com offers from anyone by the username or email name of:

indianbetiv

or

blackice

I have sold names to this person but not transfered them yet. I think I am gonna wait 24-48hrs on this one. All of the email addresses and other info from the person is really not matching up and making me nervous. Please let me know if you have dealt with them.

Thanks,
GG

•••
I hope this might help you validating his info :

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cach...--Profile-html+indianbetiv&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

BTW, he is no longer a member on hi5 .. this is cashe for his profile.

GreenGambler said:
Has anyone had any LLLL.com offers from anyone by the username or email name of:

indianbetiv

or

blackice

I have sold names to this person but not transfered them yet. I think I am gonna wait 24-48hrs on this one. All of the email addresses and other info from the person is really not matching up and making me nervous. Please let me know if you have dealt with them.

Thanks,
GG

•••
GreenGambler said:

indianbetiv

or

blackice

Thanks,
GG
When it doubt, wait it out. Scammers typically will just reverse their payment if they do not receive their domains within a few hours without asking you about it, unlike true buyers (who will likely contact you first to see what's going on). Also, if the user is a NamePros member make sure they have good feedback, and never deal with a '0 post' user. They have scam written all over them.

EDIT: If you are simply too worried just refund the money. According to that 'hi5 profile' in the post above the guy is from Romania. Be wary, because a large number of domain scammers are from foreign countries where the laws are different.

•••
I had a bidder on some of my 11 LLLL.com's on auction yesterday/today. I nulled them as I posted this in the auction "buyers with trader feedback under 5 need to pm me before bidding". I think EVERYONE should do this at least. I am not saying if he was trying to scam as I have no idea but he had no posts (other then bidding on some domains) and no trader feedbacks.

I didn't want to take that chance after I started reading this thread and found out how rampant this scamming is WOW.

good luck everyone, g-

•••
VYFX said:
EDIT: If you are simply too worried just refund the money. According to that 'hi5 profile' in the post above the guy is from Romania. Be wary, because a large number of domain scammers are from foreign countries where the laws are different.

Yeah, Im pretty sure now that I"m dealing with him.. And he is a scammer. I sent an email to the email on account with PayPal. I asked him to reply from that email address with a copy of what I had sent.

He replied from a proxie email of some sort made to look like the PP account email.. lol and he asked if it was ok, I replied again telling him I need him to send me exactly what I sent him... We will see. Plus the english is broken and the original email name was Heather something, and the PP account name is also a female name but not Heather..

I am awaiting his reply and getting ready to call PayPal...... again.

Call this PayPal phone number and report the stolen email address so they can freeze it ASAP! :

(402)935-2100
Call Center Inbound Call Center
Premier Services Line

•••
GreenGambler said:
Yeah, Im pretty sure now that I"m dealing with him.. And he is a scammer. I sent an email to the email on account with PayPal. I asked him to reply from that email address with a copy of what I had sent.

He replied from a proxie email of some sort made to look like the PP account email.. lol and he asked if it was ok, I replied again telling him I need him to send me exactly what I sent him... We will see. Plus the english is broken and the original email name was Heather something, and the PP account name is also a female name but not Heather..

I am awaiting his reply and getting ready to call PayPal...... again.

Call this PayPal phone number and report the stolen email address so they can freeze it ASAP! :

(402)935-2100
Call Center Inbound Call Center
Premier Services Line
Well I don't want to sound rude but if someone doesn't speak my language then I'm not going to, under any circumstances, trust that individual with anything. Broken English, poor grammar, and confusing personal information (i.e. different names as you stated, odd phone numbers like 999-1010, unlikely addresses like 123 ____) all let me know that the buyer doesn't care about taking the time to follow through with a professional sale.

I highly advise you not to go through with the sale. Even though you acknowledged this I'm just making sure..

•••
thanks for the heads up "buckshotdots" and as per general auction rules, I let the winner pay for the name before pushing it and if I'm buying it from a new seller or a seller without efficient rating/history, of course there is some thought process that goes behind it before sending some random new guy those hard to earn USD's, you know :D

We "NPer's" should help eachother in every way possible to make this place, a safe trading community!!

cheers - J

•••
Besides scammers trying to take your names, they also will sell you their stolen names...

1. Be very wary when you come accross posts that state things like please don't type the name your bidding on because I don't want the name indexed. Or they type the names like this XXXX(.)com

2. Do a search on any names your bidding on. If you see multiple posts recently where the name has been sold, but, there is no change in the whois record, it's a scam and your not going to get the name.

3. If during your search you see multiple posts from different people selling the same names...it generally means it's a person with multiple accounts.

4. Check the whois info on each domain that the person is selling. If the contact info is different on some of the domains or has things like 12121212 instead of contact info, the domain is probably stolen.

5. If you get scammed, chances are the scammer will go on the defensive and call you a scammer and give you a negative trader rating. They will deny being a scammer up and down, however, if you threaten to post their name in this thread....they will give the money back.

6. POST ANY DOMAINS YOU THINK MAY BE STOLEN HERE, OR, DOMAINS THAT ARE STOLEN. Once they are indexed, their harder to sell.

7. Don't let a scammer open an account for you and then transfer the domain into that account at a small registrar. Many registries say you must call them to transfer a domain out. The scammer knows your name and the domain secret since they set up the account.

LAST...I POSTED THE LINK TO THIS SCAM WATCH THREAD STARTED BY REECE ON MY WEBSITE, AND I'M CHALLENGING ALL WEBMASTERS TO DO THE SAME.

Last edited:
•••
EG.domains said:
I hope this might help you validating his info :

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cach...--Profile-html+indianbetiv&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

BTW, he is no longer a member on hi5 .. this is cashe for his profile.

Yep, he is a scammer.. I knew it from the start but wanted to take all the steps before calling someone who I don't know a scammer. I have had successful deals with people in who type broken English so I never want to single someone out because of that. I think I did what is right. I never lost my name, the owner of the stolen PP account is getting her money back and this guy has been reported!

Here is the info he gave me and may use again:

Emails:
[email protected] / blackice @ sheknows.com
[email protected] / indianbetiv @ gmail.com / indian betiv

Alias:
Heather Jordan

Profile:

Keep an eye out for this one!
GG

•••
4ltrorg said:
Besides scammers trying to take your names, they also will sell you their stolen names...

1. Be very wary when you come accross posts that state things like please don't type the name your bidding on because I don't want the name indexed. Or they type the names like this XXXX(.)com

While I agree with the rest of the statements, I consider using this technique more often.

When one sells a domain on NP, he is looking for a quick "reseller" pricing. If in any case the domain does not sell, he is putting it back in the vault.

When a serious end user comes, it is likely he will do a research on the name, and if he finds out that it was for sale on a forum for $50, he won't offer you much more, even if initially maybe he thought he would pay $xxxx.

So, personally I will take care that my domain names that I offer for quick sale on forums at bargain prices will not be indexed by search engines.

italiandragon said:
I put my face , my name and everything true on here, why a genuine buyer would have a problem doing the same?

Is this really your picture?

•••
italiandragon said:
Insulting? :-/

Are you for real? I gave you my best advice and you call it insulting?

Go get scammed, who cares, I should not give a damn wasting my time to help you.....really. :yell:

saying me are you surprised this is kidding , You are saying this a person who is in bad mood. thanks for your other best advices

•••
Alex said:
Is this really your picture?

Why would I put someone`s else picture on my profile?

epasaport said:
saying me are you surprised this is kidding , You are saying this a person who is in bad mood. thanks for your other best advices

well, I can understand that, but you should also understand that YOU made the mistake and I`m here in your thread trying to help you a bit but if you don`t understand the mistake you have done or you are not willing to understand it , then basically what I am going to advice you?

I would not trust a member which joined 1 month ago, you trusted one who just got here the day before you sent him your domain.....that`s the problem.

It`s like welcomming home someone just met on the road. It`s just a big NO-NO.

You lost , there is not much we can do anymore, he`ll probably have 10 millions different e-mail addresses and accounts if he`s not stupid so there is nothing to do, just move on and learn how to prevent this mistakes. I have seen/read people losing 4 figures domains on chargebacks, I have read about good memmbers gone bad all of a sudden...it`s life, it`s the risky part of our business. To cut it you got only 1 solution: stop using PayPal and start using wire payments or Moniker Escrow. I`m doing it this way too.
But for you...It`s up to you of course.

•••
italiandragon said:

well, I can understand that, but you should also understand that YOU made the mistake and I`m here in your thread trying to help you a bit but if you don`t understand the mistake you have done or you are not willing to understand it , then basically what I am going to advice you?

I would not trust a member which joined 1 month ago, you trusted one who just got here the day before you sent him your domain.....that`s the problem.

It`s like welcomming home someone just met on the road. It`s just a big NO-NO.

You lost , there is not much we can do anymore, he`ll probably have 10 millions different e-mail addresses and accounts if he`s not stupid so there is nothing to do, just move on and learn how to prevent this mistakes. I have seen/read people losing 4 figures domains on chargebacks, I have read about good memmbers gone bad all of a sudden...it`s life, it`s the risky part of our business. To cut it you got only 1 solution: stop using PayPal and start using wire payments or Moniker Escrow. I`m doing it this way too.
But for you...It`s up to you of course.

I will think your comments , you are telling for me not to do mistake for my goodness, you are kind , at the moment nothing has finished I havent lost yet

•••
epasaport said:
I will think your comments , you are telling for me not to do mistake for my goodness, you are kind , at the moment nothing has finished I havent lost yet

I wish you the best , but after reading so many other similar stories from other people , I `m afraid that these scammers win because PayPal is useless.

The real issue here is that: PayPal.

•••
This guy aint using stolen paypal accounts though he uses bank accounts where you can buy at DP for $5 ( not anymore available though DP banned it) its a bank account you buy for $5 and than just add it to your paypal account i don't know how they get these bank accounts but seem they have millions like its VCC i acautlly brought one to verify my friend paypal account and he added his credit card weird thing pay pal took from his bank account (which is the brought one) and not from his CC so he saw from bankaccount he refunded the payment right away and removed the bank account unfortunately the next day his paypal account was closed , he explained to paypal it was a mistake but still they didn't open it :) So be careful this guy will keep creating paypal accounts its so easy to do it i was once scammed for a domain name to tell you all the truth i scammed the guy back

Good luck for everyone

Ps is i lived where he is i"ll handel it with my own hands :)

•••
italiandragon said:
The real issue here is that: PayPal.
:bingo:

i have been thinking what we could do with paypal but theonly thing comes to my mind is not using it
if we had another service like paypal but if it protected seller, paypal would be forgotten by all domainers

while we dont have it (i think we dont, but i know moneybookers has a cheap escrow service) the best thing is to use an escrow service if you dont know the person you will deal with

•••
bricio said:
:bingo:

i have been thinking what we could do with paypal but theonly thing comes to my mind is not using it
if we had another service like paypal but if it protected seller, paypal would be forgotten by all domainers

while we dont have it (i think we dont, but i know moneybookers has a cheap escrow service) the best thing is to use an escrow service if you dont know the person you will deal with

Personally I prefer not dealing with Paypal, though this is tough because all the buyers prefer to use it.

But as I said it before, Paypal does not deserve any money from domainers, because it is making our life harder.

I use MB or escrow. And I do not accept anything else. At least I am safe, and I know that the money that I earned so hard won't get wasted in a scammer's account.

italiandragon said:

Don't know why it remembered me of a film character, though I have a very poor visual memory. I think in the coming days I will add my photo in my avatar, instead of this .. whatever my avatar is.

•••
I have been using paypal all the time until I joined NP. After starting to read all the scams people do using it, I still wonder how I managed to use Paypal sucessfully in over 400 Dp transactions without problems.
Well, guess I was just lucky... in any case... thank you paypal but I will stop using you more and more...

•••
edit descriptions

The following domains were stolen from my godaddy account.

The scammer bought all these domains for $670 and he paid me by paypal. after i received the payment i transfered the domains to his account as his details as he mentioned.

after i transfered the domains the payments which was reversed by paypal due to unautorized transactions. he is doing the fraudelnt things to many.

i have given his details too. please help me to make necessary actions to him and get back my domains to me.

i can give any proofs if you need more.

--------------------
his godaddy details he has given.: Douglas Hamner address: 2489 Ray Court city: Laurinburg state: north carolina zip:28352 USA work phone:9103186373 email [email protected] (remember he uses the email "[email protected]" for godaddy domain transfer for many
------------------
These are the domains he cheated with me.

VYKC.COM
VYWV.COM
5BM.NET
5JV.NET
BIGGSBIZ.COM
JIAN.BIZ
CUMZU.COM
FOYY.NET
MLMHELPER.COM
MYBIDS.INFO
MAXK.BIZ
QW1.NET
PBLB.NET
PBMB.NET
PBRB.NET
PBPR.NET
WILDWOODGALLERY.US

Please take immediate actions. because he is stealing many of the domain owner's domains.

i forward your email to whoever cheated by him.

his paypal payment was reversed. details given below:

-----------
The funds are not available while this transaction is being reviewed

Original Transaction
Date Type Status Details Gross Fee Net
08-Feb.-2008 Payment From Douglas Hamner Held Details $205.40 USD -$8.31 USD $197.09 USD

Related Transaction
09-Feb.-2008 The funds are not available while this transaction is being reviewed Placed ... -$205.40 USD $8.31 USD -$197.09 USD

Transfer to:
Unauthorized

Total Amount:
-$205.40 USD

Date:
09-Feb.-2008
Time:
00:01:16 PST
Placed

Subject:
Unauthorized
-------------------
The funds are not available while this transaction is being reviewed

Original Transaction
08-Feb.-2008 Payment From Douglas Hamner Held Details $470.00 USD -$18.63 USD $451.37 USD

Related Transaction
09-Feb.-2008 The funds are not available while this transaction is being reviewed Placed ... -$470.00 USD $18.63 USD -$451.37 USD

Transfer to:
Unauthorized

Total Amount:
-$470.00 USD

Date:
09-Feb.-2008
Time:
00:00:30 PST
Placed

Subject:
Unauthorized
-------

i invested more $$$ for my domains. this guy cheating more domain owners.

Last edited:
•••
These names were stolen from me by the same person as Sheriff.

lvqd.com
zqcv.com
zcvq.com

•••
-

-

Last edited:
•••
eBay user ID: Lookigot

EDIT:
Checked out ok. He used his girlfriends paypal, so that's why all the info did not match up. That is what put up a red flag for me.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back