Dynadot

Want advice (not appraisal) for the .coms I recently purchased

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

raspal

Established Member
Impact
Hello domainers,

I haven't been here since I was active for a while back in 2017, due to some health and other reasons. I'm trying to finally start domaining (haven't sold any yet), and had been brainstorming good domain ideas (instead of researching online and educating myself here first - my mistake I guess).

I hand registered 16 domains two days ago. I'd want to get them appraised later, but before appraisal, what I want to know is whether any of those domains are worthless, and won't even fetch me a quick selling price in the worst case.

They are all 6-9 letter (no hyphen, no numbers) .coms. Two of them are 6 letters, most others are 7 or 8 letters, and one is 9 letter. All are .coms. Except two, all have dictionary word combos. The two have one twisted dictionary word.

I got them all from dynadot, so there are a couple days left for grace deletion. Can I private message some of you expert domainers who can advice me whether any of the 16 domains are worthless and I should grace delete them?

@Bob Hawkes

Thanks in advance whoever is okay for a PM and advice. I'll pay you back in kind, whoever helps.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I don't do appraisals of portfolios or names. A few reasons, but mainly people should build the skills to do their own, and not be much influenced by others. You are probably investing in a field you know better than me, so my view would not mean much.

If you need help with any of the tools, however, just ask. I've written various articles on that.

In general here is what I do for my own names under consideration. It may seem like a lot, but once you have done a few you can do it all, including making a few coded notes, in about 25 minutes per domain name.
  • What businesses / organizations (not specific ones, but categories like 'educational training') would legitimately use this name? You want a number of possibilities. Actually make a list. Just takes a minute or so. Like I picked up a name 2 days ago and my list was "bill collection; financial app; organization; online credit; copyright check and clearance; accounting." I am old school and literally write down the list for every name I get in a notebook that I can go back and check.
  • Are there potential TM issues?
  • In the case of multiple words, do they flow smoothly and naturally. As a bonus, is it commonly said that way. Do a Google search with quotation marks to test this.
  • Is the exact name registered in other TLDs (use dotDB) and are they developed (go visit them)? Best case scenario is names in a lesser TLD have been developed. Also pay attention to related names registered (i.e. longer terms that include this term), also in dotDB. In my book I simply write this in code. e.g. for a different name on same day I wrote 82 TLDs; 6973 rel meaning the term I got was in over 6000 other names.
  • What competitors would the name have? See if similar names are listed on Dan, Afternic, Sedo? You want either few options available, or they are priced very high. I don't always record this, but often write the status of com, net, org, io, co, xyz and occasionally one or two others, with prices for those listed for sale.
  • As part of competitors, write down other similar ways to say the same thing, and see if these are available to hand register, or if they sold, or if in use, or if listed for sale and note prices.
  • Is the area of the domain potential use one that there is much activity and the businesses are willing to pay reasonable prices? Recent sales at NameBio can be one guide.
  • Made-up brandables are an art, and the most difficult to assess. Search for names that are somewhat similar at SquadHelp and BrandBucket and BrandPa. See both how many there are, and the prices. Would your name compete? Is it better?
  • If you have gone the creative spelling route, in general, only make one change from the correct spelling - i.e. in one made up brandable don't make a y an i and also make an s into a z, or repeat a letter.
  • Search for companies, e.g. on OpenCorporates with similar names. This is really important. I always write in my book e.g. 134 aOCs meaning 134 active listings in OpenCorporates. Sometimes also include other indicators like LinkedIn, Crunchbase, etc.
  • If you have some friends that are willing, they don't need to be in domain names, show them the list of names, and ask them which ones stand out. Ideally next day ask them which names they remember, and see if they remember correctly.
  • Radio/audio test is perhaps over-stressed, but say the term, then write down if there are multiple ways it could be written.
  • If, and only if, it is a product/service match, the search volume and the CPC are important. Estibot provide this for last year. Can do 2 per day free. Look at both broad and exact search. This will be meaningless for a made up brandable though.
  • Google the term. Often discover things. Also, for some made up words good idea to use Google translate to know if meanings in another language.
  • Would you pay $2000+ and put your effort into starting a business on this name? If answer is no, why would someone else?
Once you have a few names, with each new acquisition ask yourself if it would be in the top half, at least, of your names, to help you keep getting stronger.

Margot from BB once wrote/said (I am paraphrasing loosely) it is often hard to precisely define a great name, but you will know it when you see it. Does the name excite you as something special, or just one more attempt to throw together some keywords that seem to be trending?

Never let metrics rule your decision, but also don't totally ignore them.

Making a list of why you should NOT acquire the name is often helpful.

Realistically ask yourself how you would price the domain name. Also, it is impossible to precisely, but try to estimate the chance it will sell in one year. For example, maybe you think this name could sell for $1500. After commissions, maybe $1250 net. The name is a little specialized so you think STR is a bit less than normal, let's say 0.5%. Multiply $1250*.005 = $6.25 not counting your other costs like time. It does not make sense to get this name if your annual renewal is say $10.

Certain names, I check other things, but those are some of the key things I find useful.

Best wishes, and I hope some of it may be helpful.

-Bob

PS You undoubtedly know this cause in field prior, but restart slow and don't do many acquisitions until learning is well along, and only ever invest money you feel you can potentially totally lose.

Last edited:
•••
I don't do appraisals of portfolios or names. A few reasons, but mainly people should build the skills to do their own, and not be much influenced by others. You are probably investing in a field you know better than me, so my view would not mean much.

If you need help with any of the tools, however, just ask. I've written various articles on that.

All right, Bob. I understand why you don't do appraisals, from one of your other detailed post/blog about appraisals I'm yet to digest everything about. I'll also need time to digest everything you've mentioned in this detailed reply.

And I'll need some help/clarifications maybe about the tools you mentioned, or about other stuff as I work on everything you mentioned. Thank you for educating me. I loved your reply.

I'll check out your other articles. That's probably gonna keep me busy the next few weeks I guess.

In general here is what I do for my own names under consideration. It may seem like a lot, but once you have done a few you can do it all, including making a few coded notes, in about 25 minutes per domain name.
  • Are there potential TM issues?

How do you check whether you'll have potential TM issues? Say if there's a company using a name, and doesn't yet have an online presence, and I got a domain name that is the exact name they have, won't they want to purchase it from me instead of me getting stuck in TM issues?

• Would you pay $2000+ and put your effort into starting a business on this name? If answer is no, why would someone else?
Once you have a few names, with each new acquisition ask yourself if it would be in the top half, at least, of your names, to help you keep getting stronger.

Margot from BB once wrote/said (I am paraphrasing loosely) it is often hard to precisely define a great name, but you will know it when you see it. Does the name excite you as something special, or just one more attempt to throw together some keywords that seem to be trending?

Never let metrics rule your decision, but also don't totally ignore them.

Making a list of why you should NOT acquire the name is often helpful.

Realistically ask yourself how you would price the domain name. Also, it is impossible to precisely, but try to estimate the chance it will sell in one year. For example, maybe you think this name could sell for $1500. After commissions, maybe $1250 net. The name is a little specialized so you think STR is a bit less than normal, let's say 0.5%. Multiply $1250*.005 = $6.25 not counting your other costs like time. It does not make sense to get this name if your annual renewal is say $10.

Almost all the names I got I think are brandable.

Secondly, I'm not looking for high prices as I'm just starting out. Not wanting to hold the new domain names for long. These old ones you see in my sig I've held for 4-6 years. Now I don't want to hold.

Thirdly, all the domain names (except maybe one) I personally like and if I could, I would love to develop my own websites/services on those domain names, including the ones that you see in my sig. But anyway, I'll use the tools and advice you gave in your reply.

Certain names, I check other things, but those are some of the key things I find useful.

Best wishes, and I hope some of it may be helpful.

-Bob

PS You undoubtedly know this cause in field prior, but restart slow and don't do many acquisitions until learning is well along, and only ever invest money you feel you can potentially totally lose.

I won't invest anymore until I make a bit of money now on. Already made this mistake, and some of the domain names could be worthless if they don't even get me the cost price.

Thank you once again, and I hope to eat more of your head about the tools you mentioned.

Last edited:
•••
How do you check whether you'll have potential TM issues? Say if there's a company using a name, and doesn't yet have an online presence, and I got a domain name that is the exact name they have, won't they want to purchase it from me instead of me getting stuck in TM issues?
One needs to be most careful for made-up brandables. Most major brands even if based in another country do register a US TM so one place to check is TESS.

The WIPO World Brands Database covers the world.

Some use Trademarkia.

Although Alter is no longer accepting domain names, their Trademark search feature is still operational and I find it one of the most user friendly. It nicely summarizes the status of each domain name so you don't have to click through one by one. Alter Trademark Search

The main thing to watch is a made up term that is not in other use, and is used and trademarked by a single company.

Clearly the degree of diligence varies with investment and type of name.

The free SquadHelp Trademark Search seems superb. I have only begun using it.

Bob

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back